Guns N' Roses October 17th Birmingham UK

jackrory

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'm a little hungover and there are far more eloquent people who can write a review on the show.

The band were great, DJ stands out a mile with his stage presence and that's absolutely no disrespect to the other guys up there, you just kinda feel that DJ is actually 'living the dream' so to speak - You feel it.

Axl was on fine, fine form - I would have had no idea he was suffering from a bad throat? There were boos guys, let's not deny that. Started about 9.30 up 'til they came on. They are a bit 'panto' type boos and it was non aggressive but Axl man, seriously, give it up dude. I should sue you for this hangover B) - 'TOO MUCH DRINKING!!! '

Crowd was great, 90% full - Standing was packed in.

Highlights:

Intro - Chinese Democracy.

'Jungle

It's So easy

Heavens Door (Best song of the evening!)

Solo's were brilliant!! The band jams linked into the solo's guys..... a MASTER stroke! Didn't kill the evening like in '06, instead it really engaged the audience.

This I Love (Don't like it on the album but Axl did a great job!)

Sorry (but the crowd were not into it)

Shackler's' (See above comment X2)

Paradise City

No lowlights but the crowd were not really digging songs from CD. Sad, but true I'm afraid. Still, a very enjoyable evening all round and I sat and drank 'til far too late.

Axl Rose is a fucking legend.

Ok I'm a little hungover and there are far more eloquent people who can write a review on the show.

The band were great, DJ stands out a mile with his stage presence and that's absolutely no disrespect to the other guys up there, you just kinda feel that DJ is actually 'living the dream' so to speak - You feel it.

Axl was on fine, fine form - I would have had no idea he was suffering from a bad throat? There were boos guys, let's not deny that. Started about 9.30 up 'til they came on. They are a bit 'panto' type boos and it was non aggressive but Axl man, seriously, give it up dude. I should sue you for this hangover B) - 'TOO MUCH DRINKING!!! '

Highlights:

'Jungle

It's So easy

Solo's were brilliant!! The band jams linked into the solo's guys..... a MASTER stroke! Didn't kill the evening like in '06, instead it really engaged the audience.

Paradise City

No lowlights but the crowd were not really digging songs from CD. Sad, but true I'm afraid. Still, a very enjoyable evening all round and I sat and drank 'til far too late.

I think you've done a great review there mate, I was also at the gig last night and found it funny when (during Madagascar ) Axl was pretending to play his microphone like a trumpet lol!

I'm just about to leave a bar now and head into the MEN arena for GNRs slot , wish me luck!

Highlights:

'Jungle

It's So easy

Paradise City

I think you've done a great review there mate, I was also at the gig last night and found it funny when (during Madagascar ) Axl was pretending to play his microphone like a trumpet lol!

I'm just about to leave a bar now and head into the MEN arena for GNRs slot , wish me luck!

ENJOY!!!

Wish I was there but this HANGOVER, fuck! lol

Fortus was mental. Not sure how else to describe the guy. He was staggering everywhere like a drunk, but hammering home every chord. Must say too, his solo's may of been the best sounding of the lot, could of been the mix that made his guitar stand out the most, but he never faultered all night. This guy has incredible energy, my girlfriend remarked that he'd probably be dead by the end of the night, given the pace he was going at.

One of the guys I went with didn't really know too much about the new guys and when I asked what he thought of Richard he said something like "is he the nutter that was spinning all over the place bashing the fuck out of his guitar all night?" :lol:

Had about 3-4 hours sleep but couldn't wait to get up, check out my vids + pics, tell you guys about the show and look forward to tonight.

Pre-show

Arena was practically full, only the back two blocks (single-tiered arena) were about a quater full, but place was packed !!

There were a few asshole's trying to start fights etc, but they were dealt with long before GN'R hit the stage.

Also saw a guy in a former band-member's wig (no guesses which one). Can't understand why youd pay £45 to turn up dressed as a guy who left a decade ago, but oh well.

Was about 2 meteres from the stage (front-row), where Jarmo was prepping his camera down the front, but didnt wanna bother the guy.

Sebastian Bach 7.30-8.40ish

Bach was great !! Best warm-up act I've ever seen (and thats a lot of gigs).

Now, I know what youre thinking. But I assure you this mini-review or whatever isnt the opinion of some starry-eyed kid going to his first gig. I'll be critical where its warranted.

So yeah, crowd were in the palm of Sebastian's hands, he's a great showman more than anything else. Terrific on the mic talking to the audience, and the band were good enough to leave an impression.

My personal opinion is that Seb was what separated the other UK gigs from the Dublin gig. He left the crowd happy to be waiting for Guns, whereas in Dublin, the support left a little to be desired.

Seb knew what his role was and gave it plenty of energy. I've never seen a crowd so into a support act's set.

GN'R 10.00-12.10

Okay, the main event. Fans were cheering for them with surprising vigour until around 9.50, at which point there was one round of boos following the track that was played through the speakers.

They were audible but as soon as the house lights went down, the place went into uproar and all was forgiven. I didnt see anybody leave (even after paradise, arena was probably 80% full, which is rare as most people try to escape the traffic).

Band were in top-form last night, equally as good as Leeds Festival earlier in the year, sound mix was probably better last night though. Sound was full and powerful, although Axl's vocals drifted a bit too low in the mix a couple of times (Sweet Child O' Mine), but he was gesturing to the crew to sort it out, which they did.

Axl was clearly suffering the most from cold/flu, as I could see him sorting himself out after every song (was on the front row, right next to stage). Having said that, I would never have known. His vocals were better than at Leeds Festival, and you would have had no way of knowing he was ill from the performance, I'm certain of that.

Bumblefoot was either ill or drunk, but still playing like a demon, even mouthing to the camera "I'm so fucked up right now" at one point. Not sure if he meant illness or booze, couldnt really tell but he was fighting something. His solo's were spot on though, and the Pink Panther (didnt think I'd enjoy this one) was powerful and the best solo skit of the night.

DJ was about 2 meteres from us the whole night, often looking right at our front row, playing with tremendous energy and charisma. If this guy isnt the poster child for fan interaction, then I'm not sure who is (BBF maybe? haha). He regularly gestured to the crowd, at one point coming right down to the front barriers to do a mid-show meet-and-greet. His solo's were fantastic and are well refined, no sign of the minor inconsistencies which were there during the asia leg.

Tommy seemed about the most focused and you could really hear his bassline keeping everything in check. Underrated and his backing vocals were great too (YCBM a standout).

Fortus was mental. Not sure how else to describe the guy. He was staggering everywhere like a drunk, but hammering home every chord. Must say too, his solo's may of been the best sounding of the lot, could of been the mix that made his guitar stand out the most, but he never faultered all night. This guy has incredible energy, my girlfriend remarked that he'd probably be dead by the end of the night, given the pace he was going at.

Frank is probably the best drummer I've seen live, perhaps alongside Dave Grohl, not much between the two. Phenomenal beat all night, and really evident from tracks like YCBM, RQ and LALD that he can really power it home where needed. Very distinguishable beats and well placed in the mix too. You rock, Frank.

Finally there were a few standout moments. At one point Axl did the can-can with Tommy (band were clearly having a ball, or trying to, despite being ill), and then Axl went over to Bumblefoot to do the same thing. BBF couldn't hack it ! He could only do one leg because he was so messed up, hilarious to watch.

Knockin' On Heavens Door was probably the song of the night. Always a great track live but the fan-interaction, stripped-down parts and Axl's room to scream provided for a great atmosphere.

The band were also clearly having a blast. Plenty of on-stage pranks going on. Axl messing with Richard's dials, Ashba playing his guitar with a drumstick at one point, pushing each other, random dancing with Axl & BBF, all great fun. Axl was in a good mood too despite his sore throat (didnt realise he had one until afterwards).

Oh and a final shout out to a Whole Lotta Rosie. You gotta hear that shit live. One of the best songs of the night, very powerful and energetic, the boys belted this one home.

There were a couple of things about the setlist I'd of changed, but I'm sure the band played what they felt best doing, and I'm equally sure others would have a different opinion to mine. Dropping "Better", "Don't Cry" and "Nice Boys" whilst keeping Shacklers, Sorry and Madagascar wasnt a choice I'd of made. I have very few complaints though, from what was a great evening. Its also obvious how Nice Boys and Better may have damaged Axl's throat, and they have to take into account tonight's gig for sure. It was still a great setlist, if necessarily shorter.

The guys came out after paradise city for a final bow before My Way hit the speakers. Axl said "Thanks for coming out tonight" and remarked something like "Birmingham isnt just another one of our regional spots that we have on the schedule" or something similar. He then claimed "I woke up this morning, and I had a sore throat, and I was like argh... shit....but we all had a good fucking time tonight right?". Something very similar anyway, exact wording is probably off. I thought it was a nice touch though, as he was obviously struggling even if we couldnt tell. Very decent of him to mention it and still give his all.

Phenomenal show. Hope its not too long before theyre back in the UK.

Good, Fucking, Morning.

:lol: I so wanna see a video of that dance!

Here you go!

Still trying to upload some more, but it's taking like forever :tongue2:

Great show! I stayed at the first row, left side, and the show was amazing as always. Couldn't hear that Axl had a sore throat, he was in great shape. Totally agree with everything Azazel said :thumbsup:

Only low point was after the concert, when I realised, that I have no idea, when I'm going to see them again, still feeling a little depressed...