Guns N' Roses October 17th Birmingham UK

jackrory

Hi everyone...

After feeling somewhat unfulfilled by their Reading performance (to be fair, I was hammered and can't really remember it!!), I decided on Friday night that I would drive up to Birmingham and get my GN'R fill. In short - awesome!! I also offered to review the concert for this online magazine that a friend of mine works for, so I finally got round to dumping my thoughts into a MS Word Document this afternoon. This is the first draft, and most in-depth version of my review, where I basically got all of the words out of my system (ca. 1,700), but the final article I had to whittle down to around 600 words, and that should hopefully go online tomorrow. I'll post a link to that as and when it is published.

Anyway, whilst this is faaaaaaaaar too long for an actual gig review, this is my first attempt at proper music journalism, so please, any constructive criticism it greatfully received. I've tried to be as objective as possible, so my comments at the bottom re: timings etc are aimed at the general masses, not die-hard GNR fans.

Take it as you will, and all feedback is received with thanks.... Please read and give me your comments!!

Guns N’ Roses – LG Arena Birmingham

By Andrew Robertson

Setlist:

Chinese Democracy

Welcome To The Jungle

It’s So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Sorry

Shackler’s Revenge

Richard Fortus guitar solo (James Bond theme)

Live And Let Die

This I Love

Rocket Queen

Dizzy Reed piano solo (Ziggy Stardust)

Street Of Dreams

You Could Be Mine

DJ Ashba guitar solo (Ballad Of Death)

Sweet Child O’ Mine

Band jam (Pink Floyd), Axl Rose piano solo (Elton John)

November Rain

Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal guitar solo (Pink Panther Theme)

Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

Nightrain

------

Madagascar

Whole Lotta Rosie (AC/DC cover)

Paradise City

Review:

Guns N’ Roses. A name synonymous with controversy, both in terms of their music and their behaviour. After their frankly tardy, and albeit too brief appearance at this year’s Reading Festival, Axl Rose & Co had some making up to do in the eyes of this reviewer. The slated start time for the headline band’s set at Birmingham’s LG Arena was 20:45. In a rather fitting twist of irony, my accomplice and I were still battling with the M40 at this time, nervously joking with each other about how this is the one time that it would be convenient for the reclusive rock legend to have one of his trademark ‘I’ll go on stage when I damn well feel like it’ moments.

It would appear that luck was on our side that evening, as we found ourselves plenty of time to park the car, get in and grab a rather conveniently sized two-pint cup of cider [other venues take note – these are a revelation], and find our plush, leather seats situated to the right hand side of the stage. The standing area was packed out, as was most of the seated section with the exception of a few unoccupied pockets towards the back. Not bad for a Sunday evening, and the fact that there was every chance that the concert wouldn’t have even started before the last train had pulled out of Birmingham Central. After each classic rock track being blasted over the arena’s PA system reached its end, there would be an optimistic crescendo of cheering from the assembled masses, thinking that show time was nigh, only for another track to start up and dash those hopes for another four or five minutes.

But then, at 21:56pm, the house lights went down and the crowd roared itself up to eleven. The low-lit stage was steadily filled by the band and as the opening chords of Chinese Democracy rang out, with the newest axe-man DJ Ashba silhouetted atop a riser behind the drum kit by a huge central screen bearing the GN’R moniker, teasing the audience with an extended intro to the 2008 album’s title track. As the intro reached its climax, a silver-jacketed W Axl Rose stomped to the front of the stage, belting out the first verse with all the venom and vigour of his 20-something year old former self, accompanied by a salvo of pyrotechnic blasts in synch to the hard hitting drum beats of Frank Ferrer. The band was tight and loud, Axl at his eardrum piercing best, and the crowd full of life. So far so good. Next up was the first single that Guns N’ Roses released, way back in 1986. Welcome To The Jungle. Sounding as fresh and relevant as it did those 24 years ago, this got the whole house jumping to Axl’s tune, and when he sang “I want to hear you scream!”, the audience response was inevitable. Even in the ‘civilised’ seats, there was beer being thrown around left right and centre. From the younger fans, right back to the slightly balding and pot-bellied veterans who witnessed the first incarnation of the band, everyone was having a blast. The hits kept coming, as two more classics from Appetite For Destruction – It’s So Easy and Mr. Brownstone – were reeled off in style. Things then slowed down with ballad-come-rocker ‘Sorry’ from Chinese Democracy, but it was only the calm before the storm, as the band then launched into ‘Shackler’s Revenge’, an industrial tinged song with the sort of bridge that leads to involuntary head nodding and arm flailing... Well at least for some people!!

Now it was time for one of the guitarists to have a solo spot and show those in doubt that, duh, he is not Slash, but still a formidable guitarist in his own right. Richard Fortus, a session player who has worked with artists as diverse as Faster Pussycat to Rihanna, treated the audience to a hard rock rendition of the James Bond theme tune, before segueing into GNR’s cover of a Bond classic; Live And Let Die. After a couple of newer songs and a solo spot that might have alienated the casual fan, this Wings cover from Use Your Illusion I brought everyone back onto the same page, with added chutzpah courtesy of some heavy duty pyro, the heat from which could be felt back in our seats in Row S. The next offering was another Chinese Democracy track, This I Love, that wouldn’t seem totally out of place on Broadway, with its piano and synth orchestra backing, and high pitched vocals. Following this was a sledgehammer version of Rocket Queen, a staple back in the day, with an outro of harmonised guitar solos and audience clapping. After another couple of songs it was time for one of the ‘big guns’ of the GN’R repertoire... DJ Ashba played a soulful solo piece entitled the ‘Ballad Of Death’, and then let rip with Slash’s signature guitar riff that has been topping polls and filling dance floors since 1987. As the single note melody of Sweet Child O’ Mine swirled around the LG Arena, Axl re-emerged donning a white cowboy hat, aviator sunglasses and a chequered red shirt – much reminiscent of his 1990s attire – and began to serenade the thousands before him. Being asked to play lead guitar in Guns N’ Roses is somewhat of a poisoned chalice, such is the affection the rock fraternity feels for the man who’s shoes (or top –hat) you’d be filling. Yet the guys who have taken up the challenge do so with much aplomb, and what is more, they seem to be having the time of their lives. The sad truth is, as much as we want Slash to be in Guns N’ Roses, Slash doesn’t want to be in Guns N’ Roses. Watching this band play, you can see how much they enjoy playing these songs, and playing with each other, so who are we to deny them that? So whilst we may never again see Axl and Slash sharing the stage, this is a very, very satisfying alternative. After a brief band jam which incorporated a nod in the direction of Pink Floyd, and an Elton John influenced piano solo from Rose, it was time to get the lighters out.

The grandiose of 1991’s Use Your Illusion I was finely replicated by the band, to deliver an epic performance of GN’R’s greatest power ballad; November Rain. Each of the band’s three guitarists took the reins on a different solo, with Ron Thal shredding out the incendiary outro, flanked by some sizzling pyrotechnics.

After this, it was the turn of Bumblefoot to entertain the crowd with a slightly obscure piece for a hard rock concert. However, his interpretation of the Pink Panther theme tune, interwoven with a ‘blink and you’ll miss it’ guitar line from Estranged, was well received. Crowd interaction was next on the agenda, as the band cranked out a version of Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door much more akin to the Bob Dylan original, with a subtly crafted Hendrixian intro from Richard Fortus. The closing choruses of this number saw Rose do his trademark microphone pointed to the audience manoeuvre where he and the crowd would take turns in singing the refrain. It could be argued that there had been a loss of momentum at this point, with a couple of slower songs and a guitar solo occupying the last 20 minutes, but there was no time to dwell on this fact, as things raced back to business, Appetite For Destruction style. The juggernaut riffs of Nightrain and the blistering solos commendably played by all three guitarists brought the main section of the show to a close, but Guns N’ Roses were far from done.

They re-took the stage to play another offering from Chinese Democracy – Madagascar. This tune leans more towards the experimental side of the Use Your Illusions albums, with its synth-heavy backing, and reflective lyrics. The next song would have been a bit of a surprise to those not savvy of the current GN’R set list, but a stonking cover of AC/DC’s Whole Lotta Rosie brought the house down. Just after midnight the finale came, and it was both musically and visually impressive. As Guns N’ Roses kicked into overdrive for the double-time outro of Paradise City, a mixture of pyrotechnics and confetti canons filled the air of the LG Arena. The guitarists put the security teams through their paces as they ran up and down the length of the front row of the audience, throwing high-fives and guitar picks to the lucky few, leaving everyone in no doubt that whilst this incarnation of the band will never be viewed in the same light as their 1980s counterparts, they are probably the most energetic and musically accomplished act around.

In Axl Rose, we have a front man who is both charismatic and infuriating in equal measures. If the man changed the batteries in his watch as often as his stage outfits, he would be unparalleled, but for those of us that stayed the course, we were treated to a lengthy set filled with classics from Appetite For Destruction and the Use Your Illusion albums, cut with some choice offerings from the current band’s creative effort, Chinese Democracy. The more shows this line-up play, the more they mature and gel as a unit. What started as essentially a collection of hand-picked session musicians to record one man’s vision, and replicate it live, has evolved into an actual band, who are every bit as capable as their predecessors, and are now carrying the Guns N’ Roses name with the respect and dignity it deserves.

Edited by andy-robertson

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ love the review.

However, his interpretation of the Pink Panther theme tune, interwoven with a ‘blink and you’ll miss it’ guitar line from Estranged, was well received.

Glad not everyone missed it - I gave a big cheer when I heard that bit and got one or two odd looks. :lol:

Some great pics there, thanks. :thumbsup:

Thanks Stevo!

For those that are interested, this is the final draft that I submitted - hopefully it should be online within 24 hours or so, and I'll post a link when it is up.

Anyway, my condensed review of Sunday night for publication:

Guns N’ Roses – Birmingham LG Arena, 17th October 2010

By Andrew Robertson

In Axl Rose, we have a front man who is both incredible and infuriating in equal measures. If the man changed the batteries in his watch as often as he changed his guitarists, he would be unparalleled. As it happens, Guns N’ Roses didn’t take to the stage until 9:56pm, but once on, they delivered.

As the band thrashed out the opening riffs of Chinese Democracy, a silver-jacketed Axl Rose stormed to the front of the stage, belting out the lyrics with all the venom and vigour of his 20-something year old former-self, accompanied by a salvo of pyrotechnic blasts. Following on swiftly from this, Welcome To The Jungle had the whole house dancing to Axl’s beat, and when he belted out the line “I wanna hear you scream!” the audience happily obliged. Close your eyes and it was the late 80s. But it is not the late 80s, and neither Slash nor Duff are in the band anymore.

However, this was far from a bunch of session musicians getting on stage and giving a run of the mill performance of their inherited back catalogue littered with some self-composed tunes. There was a real swagger from the band, as if to say, “we’re not the original guys, but we’re here, and we’re going to give you one hell of a show”. And do that they did. The next two hours saw a set filled with classics, mixed with new cuts from Chinese Democracy. Several tracks in, and it was time for one of the ‘big guns’. As the melody of Sweet Child O’ Mine swirled around the LG Arena, Axl re-emerged in fresh attire to serenade the thousands before him – much to their delight. The band was in full swing, and making a great fist of the songs. Given the flow of heavy-weight rock tunes such as Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, You Could Be Mine et al, it is easy to forget that Axl Rose has a softer side. Taking to the piano, the grandiose of 1991’s Use Your Illusion albums was supremely replicated, with an epic performance of GNR’s greatest power ballad - November Rain. Axl poured his heart out through some spine-tingling vocals as the band’s three guitarists each capably took the reins on a solo, with Ron Thal shredding out the incendiary outro, flanked by some sizzling pyrotechnics.

Latter highlights included a rendition of Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door much more akin to the Bob Dylan original, albeit with a subtly crafted Hendrixian intro from Richard Fortus. There was even room for audience participation, with Rose and the crowd taking turns in singing the refrain, and as the band ripped through Nightrain, the main set reached a frenetic climax.

As an encore, we were served a blistering cover of AC/DC’s Whole Lotta Rosie, which moved into a finale that was both musically and visually stunning. Just after midnight Guns N’ Roses kicked into overdrive for the double-time outro of Paradise City, as a mixture of pyrotechnics and confetti canons filled the air of the LG Arena to the joyous rapture of (what was left of) the enthralled audience.

What started years ago as essentially a collection of cherry-picked session musicians to record one man’s vision, and replicate it live, has evolved into an actual band, who are technically just as capable as their predecessors, and are now carrying the Guns N’ Roses name with the respect and dignity it deserves. Just somebody please, for the love of God, buy that man a watch. Or put his clock forward two hours, whichever is easier.