Must Have Records

Jackie Moon

what are your recommendations for must have records? i bought a record player last year with the intention of collecting my favorite albums (great idea).

im also interested in checking out some albums ive never heard before, influential or respected albums (for instance i just bought radiohead - ok, computer, ive only ever heard karma police).

just looking for recommendations and opinions, what are your must haves? how about your collections?

i have

guns n' roses - appetite, chinese

velvet revolver - contraband

stone temple pilots - self titled

fleetwood mac - rumours

lil wayne - the carter III

michael jackson - thriller

justin timblerlake - future sex lovesounds

sex pistols - nevermind the bullocks

green day - international superhits

big boi - sir lucious left foot

aerosmith - greatest hits (original era)

Edited by Jackie Moon

U2 - Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree

Ozzy - Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman (I would/could list them all, but I suppose for someone "new" to Ozzy, these are great to start out with)

Michael Jackson - Bad, Dangerous, Thriller

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile, The Downward Spiral, Pretty Hate Machine

I'll list more another time.

i was checking out some NIN on ebay, some good prices. i was thinking of picking one up in your honor. i think the downward spiral was the best value. ive never really listened to much of NIN but i prefer the shacklers / oh my god gnr sound so im sure it would go over well.

what NIN album would you recommend and why?

Edited by Jackie Moon

I'll list classic albums that have cool stuff included with it (posters, books, etc), and I have no idea how much these records cost, but try to find 'em:

Elton John - Captain Fantastic (has a great book and poster)

The Beatles -White Album, Sgt Pepper

Led Zeppelin - III, Physical Graffiiti

The Who - Quadrophenia, Tommy

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Velvet Underground - And Nico (peeling banana)

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St (if it has the cards included)

Public Image Ltd - Metal Box

elvis costello - get happy!!

the rolling stones - exile on main st.

bob dylan - new morning, john wesley harding

abba - the visitors

the beach boys - endless summer

boney m. - nightflight to venus

david bowie - ziggy stardust, young americans, low

the cure - standing on a beach: the singles

huey lewis & the news - sports

roxy music - siren

nancy sinatra & lee hazlewood - nancy & lee

saturday night fever OST

edit: oh, and since someone just made a topic about them -- the cars - candy-o

Edited by Pico

Do you like Huey Lewis and The News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Buy it here

Edited by American Psycho

My collection:

London Calling - The Clash

Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses

The Cosmos Rocks - Queen + Paul Rodgers

Queen II - Queen

Sheer Heart Attack - Queen

A Night at the Opera - Queen

A Day at the Races - Queen

Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins

Adore - Smashing Pumpkins

The Queen vinyls are the ones that were in the The Cosmos Rocks box set.

Not much

Edited by luciusfunk

Love It To Death - Alice Cooper

Killer - Alice Cooper

The Mob Rules - Black Sabbath

Raw Power - Iggy & The Stooges

A Night At The Opera - Queen

Appetite For Destruction - Guns N' Roses

High Voltage - AC/DC

Hunky Dory - David Bowie

Among The Living - Anthrax

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

I forgot the Stones' "Exile" has a nice reissue from this year that has both vinyl & CD and a really cool book.

Beastie Boys "Sounds of Science" is also a must have. Great coffeetable book.

Some vinyl versions have also put songs out they didn't release on CD.

I don't recommend buying old picture discs to play, they're more for display/decoration.

To me, sealed copies are a worthwhile buy, because they will never go down in value, they're limited releases. Some bands like Led Zep and The Beatles, when a new release comes out, will put out vinyl versions. I think there's some Dylan that's not on vinyl, but all the newer releases have been.

Shepard Fairey, who did the Obey Giant, Henry Rollins tour posters, and the famous Obama poster, also did the cover art for LZ's "Mothership".

But it is fun when you rip the vinyl to high bitrate mp3 or FLAC and compare that and the ripped from CD copy that you have.

Just about every classic album over the past 20 years has been released in vinyl, some for the first time in the past few years.

In general, people have better record players now than back in the day. Plus when people offloaded their vinyl over 15 years ago, they gave a lot of it away, and can usually f

i don't imagine most of my dance stuff translating well on to vinyl. not that ray charles isn't danceable. but off the top of my head...

live: ray charles - "the night time is the right time" is my absolute favorite, ever.

astrud gilberto

i can't pick a favorite acdc album, really...

robert johnson

i think you get the point.

Edited by LaBellaVita

Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins

one of the original versions on peach/pink/red vinyl or a reissue?

Usually picture discs are crap (they were big in the 70s), but vinyl's actually clear and solid colors don't affect the sound. Should Tweet Billy Corgan the question. RCA used to put their classical records out on red vinyl. Not sure about recent era picture discs though - might be okay to play it.

I just bought four records off of Amazon. The Crue's Girls, Girls, Girls, and Dr. Feelgood, Metallica's Garage Inc. ($18 for 3 LPs, pretty good deal and actually cheaper than the CD version), and Neil Young's After the Goldrush. OK Computer seems like a great album to get on vinyl, like you I've only heard Karma Police. But by the time I started buying vinyl again I had already bought the CD version. Still haven't listened to it yet...man I have a shit load of music to get through!

My collection so far (not including the above):

Guns - Live Like a Suicide, AFD, Lies, UYI I and II, TSI?, Live Era, and Chi Dem

VR - Contraband

Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards, Salisbury, The Magician's Birthday

Duran Duran - Rio, Arena, Seven and the Ragged Tiger

Bryan Adams - You Want It You Got It, Into the Fire, Waking Up the Neighbors, So Far So Good

Survivor - Eye of the Tiger

Billy Joel - Glass Houses, Piano Man

Zep - Led Zeppelin, IV, Houses of the Holy, In Through the Out Door

Huey Lewis - Sports

The Eagles - Hotel California, Desperado

The Stones - Hot Rocks 1964-1971

Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young - American Dream

The Kinks - State of Confusion, Golden Hour

Nirvana - Nevermind, In Utero, Unplugged

Queen - Greatest Hits

Elvis - Elvis' Golden Records

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen, Songs of Love and Hate, Songs from a Room

I haven't gotten around to listening to most of these yet. Some are 25-35 years old, maybe more. Some still sound great, others have lots of pops and crackling noises. State of Confusion and Eye of the Tiger are really great recordings though (sound quality-wise), and these two albums have held up well in that they sound clean. Guess we didn't play them too much back in the day.

It's tough to recommend anything...go with the bands you enjoy. Lots of old stuff is being re-released, and lots of new stuff is coming out on vinyl. I haven't had the chance to play some of the re-releases yet. Hopefully the record companies did a good job on them. Same with the brand new stuff, but I bet a lot of that sounds worse than it should. Most albums off my list are old copies. But the Cohen stuff, Nirvana, Duran Duran (Rio only), Uriah Heep (Salisbury, Demons) are the new re-released versions. With GN'R I've got originals and re-releases of AFD and the Illusions. Like with all things GN'R I go overboard. I don't really have plans to keep buying vinyl, it's more just for fun. CD is just a lot more practical and I've amassed a lot more CDs than vinyl over the years, so CD will continue to be my main playback medium. Vinyl is pretty awesome though, it's feels like art compared to CD, which feels like a product. I don't even know what mp3 is (ca-ca perhaps?).

Edited by KBear

Guns N Roses - AFD, CD

Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedoes

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

The Doors - LA Woman

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

Kid Rock - Rock N Roll Jesus

Hank Williams Sr. - Greatest Hits

Dr.Dre - The Chronic

vinyl > cd

Edited by J Dog