Why Dave Navarro Didn't Join Guns N' Roses

American Psycho

In the latest episode of Talking Metal Dave Navarro explains why he turned Axl Rose down for a spot in Guns N' Roses. Navarro explains: "When Izzy left the band, Axl called me to be a member of Guns. There are a number of reasons that it didn't work out. If I could pick one, it would be my own heroin addiction. We have always had a great respect for one another."

Dave also talks about his love for Iron Maiden and how their influence "helped shape the sound of Jane's Addiction." and he reveals that he is currently in the studio with producer Rich Costey (Muse, Franz Ferdinand) working on a new Jane's Addiction album which will include songs co-written by Duff McKagan.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/10/oct/20Why_Dave_Navarro_Didnt_Join_Guns_N_Roses.shtml

He did contribute guitar parts to ''Oh My God''

Edited by American Psycho

He's a great guitar player. Musically, I think he could've been very usefull for what Axl wanted Guns to be at the time he offered him the gig.

That said, I don't think his way of thinking and doing things would've allowed him to stay or be a real part of Guns N' Roses. I feel Robin was a better choice anyway.

You young uns' will never understand why Dave Navarro could not join GNR after Izzy left.

It would have been a very bad career decision for Dave at the time.

In the early 90s, GNR and Janes Addiction were miles apart as far as fan base.

Jane's was part of the Alternative/Pre-Grunge scene,

this crowd was anti Sunset Strip Hair Metal in every way possible.

(go ahead and deny that GNR were Sunset Strip Hair Metal, ....But facts are facts, and they were)

Years later the imaginary dividing line between bands like Janes and GNR is gone.

But, in the early 90s it was very real.

GNR were hated by most of Dave Navarro's fans around this time,

and they would have hated him for doing it.

Edited by lost in the garden

I'd like to mention that it becomes more clear to me everyday that Axl was trying to fuse two to three distinct styles post-97. Look at the players he surrounded himself with and the guys he tried to recruit. It seems very likely that he was trying to do a grunge/industrial/nu-metal fusion type thing.

I'd like to mention that it becomes more clear to me everyday that Axl was trying to fuse two to three distinct styles post-97. Look at the players he surrounded himself with and the guys he tried to recruit. It seems very likely that he was trying to do a grunge/industrial/nu-metal fusion type thing.

not to mention the apparent industrial album that geffen rejected in 99

This was in 1991. Izzy left in 1991.

Forget Navarro. they should have worked it out with Zakk Wylde.

that wasn't gonna work out, Zakk can't hide himself for so long, he doesn't take shit from anyone either so it wouldn't last much either

Edited by dario27

Forget Navarro. they should have worked it out with Zakk Wylde.

that wasn't gonna work out, Zakk can't hide himself for so long, he doesn't take shit from anyone either so it wouldn't last much either

Not sure what this quote means? hide himself in what way? no flame. just curious.

I agree though the arguments with Axl would have been legendary.

You young uns' will never understand why Dave Navarro could not join GNR after Izzy left.

(go ahead and deny that GNR were Sunset Strip Hair Metal, ....But facts are facts, and they were)

Years later the imaginary dividing line between bands like Janes and GNR is gone.

GNR didn't have one "type" of fan... they had kids into pop music, classic rock music, an older fanbase that liked Aerosmith and the Stones, and metal. The Chili Peppers and Jane's prob. had more in common, but remember Slash and Adler were in the same circles that Flea and Anthony were as teenagers. Maybe they did the KISS Army secret handshake, whatever it was... Maybe to the listener there's a huge difference, but to them, they're the same band geeks they remembered screwing around on skateboards and dirtbikes in the hills and empty swimming pools.

And weren't GNR played on KROQ??

Tool have appealed to alt-rock and metal crowds, so have RATM, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden.

Janes might have been considered "weird" and "effeminate" (being politically correct here) imagewise, but they had different fans that listened to different types of music including GNR.

If Dave replaced Izzy, it would've pissed fans off, but Perry at that time in Jane's was front and center imagewise. Dave was just the little quiet guy who played guitar behind his shades, even though he did some really weird shit on stage. But the old clips on You Tube or "Gift"... pretty much what it was like at the show. Perry was the showman, and he had some goofy ass rants, didn't he... prob. still does.

It's when he joined the Chili Peppers that the mainstream audience noticed him, and all the attention whoring stuff he's done since.

Edited by dalsh327

GNR didn't have one "type" of fan... they had kids into pop music, classic rock music, an older fanbase that liked Aerosmith and the Stones, and metal. The Chili Peppers and Jane's prob. had more in common, but remember Slash and Adler were in the same circles that Flea and Anthony were as teenagers. Maybe they did the KISS Army secret handshake, whatever it was... Maybe to the listener there's a huge difference, but to them, they're the same band geeks they remembered screwing around on skateboards and dirtbikes in the hills and empty swimming pools.

And weren't GNR played on KROQ??

Tool have appealed to alt-rock and metal crowds, so have RATM, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden.

Janes might have been considered "weird" and "effeminate" (being politically correct here) imagewise, but they had different fans that listened to different types of music including GNR.

If Dave replaced Izzy, it would've pissed fans off, but Perry at that time in Jane's was front and center imagewise. Dave was just the little quiet guy who played guitar behind his shades, even though he did some really weird shit on stage. But the old clips on You Tube or "Gift"... pretty much what it was like at the show. Perry was the showman, and he had some goofy ass rants, didn't he... prob. still does.

It's when he joined the Chili Peppers that the mainstream audience noticed him, and all the attention whoring stuff he's done since.

Some right, some wrong here.

KROQ was strictly alternative in 1991, and very anti sunset strip and all that GNR were.

Couple years later they started to soften there format,

the 1st time I heard GNR on KROQ was after Spaghetti Incident was released,

It was New Rose I believe.

And GNR may have not had one type of fan,

but Janes Addiction did have a completely different fan base than GNR.

Janes were very pre-grunge in every way,

the 'Up With The New, Down With The Old' attitude.

And although Perry and the band was very eccentric and flamboyant,

they were also very anti to the traditional rock star attitude sort of thing (just as Grunge was).

Kind of strange nowadays, Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro are complete rockstars,

Mostly the complete opposite of how they started.

Picture it like this.

Mid 80's Hollywood.

On one side of the tracks you got Janes Addiction & The Red Hot Chili Peppers scene.

On the other side you have the Guns N Roses, Faster Pussycat, LA Guns scene.