David_Bowie's, David Bowie Thread.

inthisriver

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars used to be in my top ten of all time...now it's probably fifteen or whatever, still one of the greatest things ever recorded. Mick Ronson is really the unsung hero of that record though (despite Bowie's wonderful lyrics and amazing vocals), he's gotta be one of the most underrated guitarists of all time. The Live Santa Monica '72 disc is all the evidence you need for that (and this should be required listening for every rock fan, and for Bowie fans in particular - Bowie's cover of Jacques Brel's My Death is unbelievable). Low is like a top 50 album of all time too, and I'm not really into ambient stuff (yet), but the first half contains some brilliant pop songs. All in all, pretty much every Bowie record between Space Oddity and Low/Heroes (whichever was released "last" in '79) is worth your time. Haven't heard much besides those except for Let's Dance and Scary Monsters...been meaning to check out the rest of his stuff but haven't gotten around to it yet.

All in all, pretty much every Bowie record between Space Oddity and Low/Heroes (whichever was released "last" in '79) is worth your time. Haven't heard much besides those except for Let's Dance and Scary Monsters...been meaning to check out the rest of his stuff but haven't gotten around to it yet.

u forgot lodger, bro

its okay, everyone does :(

All in all, pretty much every Bowie record between Space Oddity and Low/Heroes (whichever was released "last" in '79) is worth your time. Haven't heard much besides those except for Let's Dance and Scary Monsters...been meaning to check out the rest of his stuff but haven't gotten around to it yet.

u forgot lodger, bro

yeah, I know...haven't gotten around to it. for whatever reason I got tired of Bowie once I reached Low, even if it's my second favourite studio album of his. Haven't really given more of his music a shot since then :/

u forgot lodger, bro

yeah, I know...haven't gotten around to it. for whatever reason I got tired of Bowie once I reached Low, even if it's my second favourite studio album of his. Haven't really given more of his music a shot since then :/

well, luckily there's not really much to see after scary monsters and let's dance. the other 80's albums he did were mostly shit, the wretched abortion known as tin machine was all shit.

black tie is forgettable, outside is - by bowie standards - below average at best (space oddity tier) but the alt rock/electro tracks are cheesy as hell, earthing is lulz and hours... is awful.

the last two are pretty good though, but i can't see any reasons to listen to reality when you could be blasting, say, station to station.

move aside, crapola NIN collabs - here's some vintage diamond dogs era bowie covering the boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23YRVtuecA

Guest Len B'stard

Starman is my favorite Bowie track, i'm seriously getting into Bowie now and i was actually fiercely anti-Bowie in the halcyon days of my youth :lol:

Gotta love Jean Genie too...small Jean Genie he looks like a bikini and smells like a greenie and strung out on laser and slash back blazers and ate all your....uhhh....amazers and...im gonna shut up now :lol: Thats like one of the sexiest songs ever (and it's about Iggy Stooge, one of the sexiest men ever :lol:) i love how it sounds all free associative unless you realise it's about Iggy and it makes a twisted kinda sense, i just love the kinda talkey delivery that he does on it too, an example of how rock is all about rhythm and not necessarily volume.

At the moment:

I prefer post-glam Bowie, my favourite albums are Station To Station, Low and Scary Monsters. Do love The Man Who Sold the World, but on the subsequent albums, until Young Americans, there're songs I'm not too fond of.......for instance Hunky Dory has that annoying Bob Dylan song. Still, these are minor quibbles of mine; the only album I have trouble appreciating is Lodger.

He should do a Ziggy Stardust tour. It would be unexpected and new to a lot of people that there would be nothing "nostalgia tour" about it. It wasn't even a true "concept album", but would be interesting if he "ripped himself off" from those days and came up with a "follow up". It's almost like a "what if Syd Barrett came out of retirement" story, and just develop this back story of what Ziggy's been up to the past 37 years.

I know he likes living in the present when it comes to his music, but it would be interesting to see if he could pull it off.

He should do a Ziggy Stardust tour. It would be unexpected and new to a lot of people that there would be nothing "nostalgia tour" about it. It wasn't even a true "concept album", but would be interesting if he "ripped himself off" from those days and came up with a "follow up". It's almost like a "what if Syd Barrett came out of retirement" story, and just develop this back story of what Ziggy's been up to the past 37 years.

I know he likes living in the present when it comes to his music, but it would be interesting to see if he could pull it off.

After having heart problems on the Reality tour it's probable he won't ever tour again, he hasn't even recorded since.