What's missing guitar wise

Vincent Vega

There's been something missing guitar wise--ever since AFD--An interplay of the guitars.

On AFD, Izzy and Slash's parts was very clear, and it was who was playing what, and both traded off little licks, riffs, counter riffs and melodies and counter melodies together, so it created a sort of groove. A sort of interplay of the two guitars, creating a very intricate, yet very well defined sound. On every record since, though--Including the UYIs, and Chinese D, that sort of fun interplay of two (and in CD's case, three) guitarists is missing. Sure, they showcase their different styles--But never really together in one track, never riffing and jiving together, and I think that's a big thing missing in GN'R's sound since AFD.

Off topic, but AFD's sound--or maybe it's just the guitars-- kind of reminds me of Judas Priest mixed with Aerosmith and the Stones.

Edited by Indigo Child

If you watch the current live show, the three play off each other very well, I agree in some instances that this element is lacking on CD cause the parts were all recorded at different times, but the band as is now trade riffs and solos like no one's business. On the CD stuff and the older material, I reckon if we got a new album just written as is by the band, it would have that element you miss all over it.

Speaking about the drums on CD, anyone else think they're WAY too far behind in the final mix? Some songs, they're ok but others they seem almost buried behind everything else. It really bugs me.

I've noticed that too. The drums are there, but you don't notice them at all unless you're really trying to.

It's not the guitars, it's the drums. There's up to three drummers plus synth and plugins for one song alone, it's like driving on four different tires, it will work but it won't feel right.

As for the live sound, Richard and Robin clicked, but right now only the rhythm section is tight. Ron's sound is too compressed and DJ's is too mellow, not much tonal interaction possible even if they try.