Slash vs. Zakk Wylde vs. Randy Rhoads

Towelie

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Slash isn't a virtuoso by any stretch of the imagination.

I disrespectfully disagree.

Give me a good argument for why he is. You literally never see Slash using any of the typical "virtuoso techniques" such as tapping, sweep picking, harmonics, etc. He clearly does not understand theory to the level which virtuosos do; his solos even now are still heavily based off of pentatonic scales, and his chord progressions are far from innovative. I never said Slash is a bad player, he just isn't nearly good enough on a technical level to be considered a virtuoso.

• 13 years later...

(I mean no disrespect to the OP) 

You can’t have a poll like this in any way meaningful. 3 very different guitarists with obviously different levels of proficiency. Slash is an emotive player and different to the other two. A different question to ask if you want to compare those 3 is who wrote the more memorable Riffs, Solos & Songs. Musicality in a guitar player will always be far more interesting to me than the speed and tricks they employ. Randy Rhoads straddled both worlds, Slash only one & Zakk Wylde seems to be only in one world also. 

Comparing guitar players is like comparing different types of alcohol. Winter I want Guinness & Whiskey, Summer I want Lager & weed. I’m glad they’re all there. 

5 hours ago, MidnightRuMidnMidnight ner said:

Slash gets my vote easily, I prefer him over Randy anytime. I'm just not a big fan of Randy's playing. He gets too much love IMO. 

And I'm not familiar with Zakk's work besides Ozzy's "No More Tears". 

Im in no way a big Ozzy solo/Randy fan but I think he gets the respect he deserves rather than way too much love. The guy was pretty unique for his day and he had chops. There’s guys out there like Stevie Ray Vaughan & Ry Cooder out there that I don’t like but I respect what they do and done. It’s not my thing but I can see it’s someone very talented. 

it depends what speaks to you musically imo. these 3 players have all developed their own thing from the soup of influences they were exposed to. It's a very personal thing, for me, what Slash was able to achieve is remarkable, it touches my soul the most out of these 3, but I like them all for different reasons.

Randy had something very special as well imo and Zakk is not all pinch harmonics either. He also does his own thing but I relate to it less. He came up with some great stuff though which I still enjoy, especially his earlier work. Nowdays, it doesn't feel as inspired.

bottom line is that I believe a great guitar player is like a melting pot of different parts of what came before them and kinda unites it to a fresh sounding style that reflects their own musical filter so that way it sounds like you're speaking your own language. Slash is a great exaple of this imo and you can't really compare these sort of things cause it's like comparing people. It's subjective which person you like the best cause it's also dictated by what kind of person you are. Same thing with the listener and the guitar player I think. 

• Like 1