Duff about Tommy

Liquor & Whores

About a week and a half ago, I had the pleasure of hanging out with Tommy Stinson. For those of you who don't know, he is the guy who replaced me in Guns N' Roses. But also for those of you who don't know, Tommy is known to a lot of us music fans for his work in his first band, The Replacements.

Our meeting last week was by no means the first time we have hung out. No, back in 1983, my band 10 Minute Warning opened for The Replacements right here in Seattle, at the long-defunct punk club Metropolis.

Tommy is a great fucking guy, and I always come away glad when our paths have crossed over the years.

So here is a nod to you my friend. Ladies and gentlemen, may I present, The Replacements:

"Kick Your Door Down" (Sorry Ma! Forgot To Take Out The Trash, 1980): This is the year that American punk rock really started to come into its own. This was also the year that The Replacements put Minneapolis on the map as far as the young rock mind went.

"Left Of The Dial" (Tim, 1985): "Left Of the Dial" is an old term used to inform listeners where college radio was located on the FM number dial read-out. The 'alternative' to everything else was located down there. The Replacements were of course, an alternative to everything else before that term was used simply as a hip marketing term.

"I'll Be You" (Don't Tell A Soul, 1989): This decade was remembered for Prince, Madonna, U2, and Duran Duran. What many of us knew then though was that The Replacements were just plain heroes to the rest of us.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2010/10/replacements.php

Duff was in GNR for 12 years, Tommy has been in GNR for 12 years now, they met again, they both have punk roots, and a lot of respect to each other (I remember an interview with Tommy where he was complimenting Duff). Besides, it was visible during the gig in London, that Tommy was honored that Duff played on his bass, and they had a lot fun playing together when Duff switched to guitar...

:thumbsup:

my question is: could Axl do it all on purpose - so the 2 bass players would meet again?

my question is: could Axl do it all on purpose - so the 2 bass players would meet again?

Good question, but...

I don't think Axl would do that. I doubt he cares that much...or actually, what there is to care? It's not like they're some long lost brothers or anything. Sorry, if I sound arrocant or something. Not trying to be a dick :) . If Duff and Tommy want to meet I don't think they need Axl to that. And like Duff said in the article, they have crossed paths over the years.

HA i love this story line. Mainly cuz its a place for everybody to win and it also defeats the either /or thinking that makes this forum such a nasty place from time to time....simply stated for obvious reasons NOT a single person in this board has any reason to take sides in a fight that was not ours to fight. I have despised the either or mentality as being childish..so its with kudosto Duff and to Tommy as well as Izzy to jump on stage and make GNR a class act.

From an objective place to watch.. its cool that events like that take place... GNR fans win.. period.. WE WIN.

Great read! If you haven't already done it, dig into the "Mat's" immediately. All For Nothing, Nothing for All is a great two-disc greatest hits and b-sides compilation, and a good place to start. I was thrilled when I heard Tommy joined GN'R--my two favorite bands growing up were The Replacements and GN'R....god I remember the nights in 5th and 6th grade tuning in the local college station to catch The Replacements, Pixies, Alex Chilton, or some Husker Du song they would never play on a regular radio station. I had Nirvana Bleach before anyone knew who they were...those were the days. Everyone told me how much they hated them, and then Smells Like Teen Spirit hit, and they loved them. Phony-fucks...still phony, all pretty in their business suits snorting blow, cheating on their wives, and yearning for the good old days..

Also, Tommy's two bands, Bash n' Pop and Perfect are great. I really dig the Perfect disc, has a great raw, driving feel to it...Tommy's soul coming through the song writing. With that said, Village Gorilla Head is one of the most underrated albums of the past 10 years--brilliant through and through!

... GNR fans win.. period.. WE WIN.

I wanna hear that song so much. dying for some new Loaded! And referring to your post in general, yes, Gn'R fans win.

Me too!

It's been played on KISW 99.9 in Seattle twice, but I've still not heard it. Maybe I should set my alarm to 4.45am next time so that I can tune in and listen.

You folks over in US, tune in around 9pm next time We Win is up, and wote for it. :)

Duff is :thumbsup:

I've always thought that he and Izzy were way cooler than both Axl and Slash because they genuinely don't give a shit.

Cool thing to do.

As regards the Replacements, yes, they were a great band and I've checked some of the old videos on Youtube : really fun to watch such a young Tommy Stinson ( he was like, what, 17 years old at the time ? ) rock so hard.

Now, we all know ( as he openly admitted himself ) that he isn't a big original Guns n' Roses fan, but as far as the new music and live performances are concerned, he does a great job.