There is no "current line up"

Young_Gun

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one true GN'R line up and it contains Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Matt, Dizzy.

Steven is way overrated.

And Matt is the worst guy to ever drum under the GNR name. I'd wager even Rob Gardner was better.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

There is one true GN'R line up and it contains Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven.

Steven is way overrated.

Get the fuck out person.

Steven is awesome. Matt is good, but not much to hang in the tree to be honest. Dizzy simply suck and should never have been involved in GN'R.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Steven is way overrated.

Get the fuck out person.

Steven is awesome. Matt is good, but not much to hang in the tree to be honest. Dizzy simply suck and should never have been involved in GN'R.

Steven was too fucked up to play in 1990 and the years after. He's such a whiny puppy dog in his personality too, his personality annoys me. I can't say the same for Matt or any of the other guys. All of them are really cool, Steven comes off whiny and clingy. Should the band have broken up in 1990 cause Steven couldn't pull his shit together?

Matt was damn good on the UYI records and on the tour. And Dizzy is cool and a keyboardist fits in a rock band.

If Steven is so awesome, why didn't Slash ask Steven to join VR? Or Slash's Snakepit?

Steven is way overrated.

And Matt is the worst guy to ever drum under the GNR name. I'd wager even Rob Gardner was better.

Bull. He's the second best probably next to Brain, and Brain gets points off for habitually fucking up the intro to YCBM.

Edited by Indigo Child

Guns N'Roses don't exist anymore, they all quit bar Axl Rose

All that remains is Axl Rose + hired hands

Some of the hired hands write, some of he hires hands work in the studio, and some of the hired hands play live

This probably goes some way to explaining why there has been no Chinese Democracy music video, or one hit single

Edited by star

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

All that remains is Axl Roses + hired hands

Some of the hired hands write. Some of he hires hands work in the studio, and some of the hired has play live.

This probably goes some way to explaining why there has been no Chinese Democracy music video, or one hit single.

Amen to that!

Some of the hired hands write, some of he hires hands work in the studio, and some of the hired hands play live.

This probably goes some way to explaining why there has been no Chinese Democracy music video, or one hit single.

Or group photo.

Axl probably considers these guys the same way Mick, Keith, Ron and Charlie of the Rolling Stones consider Darryl Jones.

Darryl Jones replaced Bill Wyman in 1993 and has been their exclusive bassist on every tour and album since. So, he's been with them nearly 20 years as their exclusive bassist. However, he is not an official member of the band, nor does he have any say in the band's plans, setlists or writing, nor does he get a percentage. He's on salary. He's a "Hired Stone."

Even Matt was considered a Gunner so to speak during his tenure--Higher in statue than these guys. Read Axl interviews which talk about Matt when Matt was in the band. He really had no problem with Matt staying in the band, and he became close with Slash and Duff while in Guns. Gilby, not so much--Gilby was a Hired Gun.

Edited by Indigo Child

No shit, can you get over it though please? Its been 20 years. Axl legally has the right to do whatever he wants with the name. What he should or shouldn't do is only your opinion, not fact.

what is a forum without opinions?

No shit, can you get over it though please? Its been 20 years. Axl legally has the right to do whatever he wants with the name. What he should or shouldn't do is only your opinion, not fact.

It's a stupid opinion though. Guns still had Axl, Slash and Duff (more than half of the original members) until 1996, so really I'd say by any logical standard any lineup until 1996 was a "true GN'R lineup." Steven was replacable. Izzy, not really, but still they put out TSI and Sympathy without him and were able to work on original material without him, they just couldn't come to an agreement over who would replace Izzy fully and WHICH songs were going to be on the next album according to Marc.

Myself, I consider every lineup up to '96 Guns, and this is "New Guns." It's like New Coke or the Indiana Jones 4--Take it or leave it. It's like the Stones post Mick Taylor--Good but not the same.

I support both bands--Guns and New Guns--But I think any lineup until '96 was superior just by virtue of the Axl, Slash, Duff team. I don't see how anyone could logically argue that New Guns is superior to Guns. That doesn't mean you have to hate New Guns. I love the band, have seen them twice, and even prefer them to VR, but not to Guns.

Like I said:

Guns= 1985-1996.

Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Matt, Dizzy, Steven, Gilby, Paul.

New Guns= 1997-present

Axl, Robin, Paul, Bucket, Brain, Josh Freese, Chris Vrenna, Frank, Bumble, Chris Pittman, Dizzy, DJ Ashba, Richard, Tommy.

Edited by Indigo Child

Some of the hired hands write, some of he hires hands work in the studio, and some of the hired hands play live.

Or group photo.

Axl probably considers these guys the same way Mick, Keith, Ron and Charlie of the Rolling Stones consider Darryl Jones.

Darryl Jones replaced Bill Wyman in 1993 and has been their exclusive bassist on every tour and album since. So, he's been with them nearly 20 years as their exclusive bassist. However, he is not an official member of the band, nor does he have any say in the band's plans, setlists or writing, nor does he get a percentage. He's on salary. He's a "Hired Stone."

Even Matt was considered a Gunner so to speak during his tenure--Higher in statue than these guys. Read Axl interviews which talk about Matt when Matt was in the band. He really had no problem with Matt staying in the band, and he became close with Slash and Duff while in Guns. Gilby, not so much--Gilby was a Hired Gun.

I get what your saying, Gilby, by the way is one cool motherfucker, I met him at a gig when I was on holiday in california about 5 years ago. He is very down to earth and more than happy to talk about GNR. He seemed as if he couldnt believe his luck and he was talking about the band just like me, a fan, saying about how he couldnt wait to hear Chinese Democracy. I think he might have been a bit stoned though B)

Even Duff, as late as a day ago, refers to the current line up as Guns N' Roses..... :rolleyes:

It's legally called Guns N' Roses. But that doesn't mean it is in fact.

If Axl hired members of the Wu Tang Clan, Marilyn Manson, Tool, and D12, and put out a Rap/Techno/Industrial album and called it Guns N' Roses, would that make it so?

It's a stupid opinion though. Guns still had Axl, Slash and Duff (more than half of the original members) until 1996, so really I'd say by any logical standard any lineup until 1996 was a "true GN'R lineup." Steven was replacable. Izzy, not really, but still they put out TSI and Sympathy without him and were able to work on original material without him, they just couldn't come to an agreement over who would replace Izzy fully and WHICH songs were going to be on the next album according to Marc.

Myself, I consider every lineup up to '96 Guns, and this is "New Guns." It's like New Coke or the Indiana Jones 4--Take it or leave it. It's like the Stones post Mick Taylor--Good but not the same.

I support both bands, but I think any lineup until '96 was superior just by virtue of the Axl, Slash, Duff team.

what's a stupid opinion?

It really isn't that complicated, GNR was only active for a few years. Steven was fired, then Izzy left, and everything else disintegrated. You can say Axl tried to keep "GNR alive", but has he really been successful? 15+ years later and people are still talking about the old band and how much better they were, comparing every detail, if GNR was actually a successful revolving door you'd think we all would have forgotten about Slash, Izzy, and Duff. But they were so key to what defined the sound of Guns N' Roses that they haven't been forgotten at all, even 6 guitarists, 3 drummers, an extra keyboard player and a new bassist couldn't make us forget. When you think about it, it really makes the "new band" or whatever seem like ants next to dinosaurs

Or group photo.

I get what your saying, Gilby, by the way is one cool motherfucker, I met him at a gig when I was on holiday in california about 5 years ago. He is very down to earth and more than happy to talk about GNR. He seemed as if he couldnt believe his luck and he was talking about the band just like me, a fan, saying about how he couldnt wait to hear Chinese Democracy. I think he might have been a bit stoned though B)

He's a nice guy, laid back, down to Earth, but I don't think ANY of GN'R--Neither Slash or Duff--considered him a full member.

I support both bands, but I think any lineup until '96 was superior just by virtue of the Axl, Slash, Duff team.

what's a stupid opinion?

It really isn't that complicated, GNR was only active for a few years. Steven was fired, then Izzy left, and everything else disintegrated. You can say Axl tried to keep "GNR alive", but has he really been successful? 15+ years later and people are still talking about the old band and how much better they were, comparing every detail, if GNR was actually a successful revolving door you'd think we all would have forgotten about Slash, Izzy, and Duff. But they were so key to what defined the sound of Guns N' Roses that they haven't been forgotten at all, even 6 guitarists, 3 drummers, an extra keyboard player and a new bassist couldn't make us forget. When you think about it, it really makes the "new band" or whatever seem like ants next to dinosaurs

You're 100% right. I was just arguing against his opinion that only the '85 to '90 lineup was Guns. I love the 1991-1996 lineups, they're all good for different reasons.

New Guns compared to Guns is like ants next to dinosaurs, and the public will never forget Slash no matter how many times he's replaced. Izzy is kind of another deal. Even though we diehard Guns fans know how important he was, let's be honest--the casual music listener or casual GN'R fan doesn't really give a damn about anybody in Guns except for Axl and Slash. It's like that with most bands though. The Rolling Stones has Mick and Keith and as long as you have just those two, most casual listeners would probably consider it the Stones. Led Zeppelin had Page and Plant. The Doors had Morrison and Manzarek. Every band has two central figures, two standouts.

Even if this band now was composed of Axl, DJ, Izzy, Duff and Matt, the general public probably wouldn't consider it Guns due to lack of Slash.

He's just one of those unreplacable people. Look at how Aerosmith fared without Joe Perry.

Edited by Indigo Child

Even Duff, as late as a day ago, refers to the current line up as Guns N' Roses..... :rolleyes:

If Axl hired members of the Wu Tang Clan, Marilyn Manson, Tool, and D12, and put out a Rap/Techno/Industrial album and called it Guns N' Roses, would that make it so?

Axl hasn't done that. Also, Duff isn't obligated to call the band Guns N' Roses, just because that's the legal name. It's obvious that Axl has a lot of pride in the GN'R name and would not do anything that would make the sound and look of Guns so unrecognizable. The look of the 2002 lineup may have been pushing it but the current lineup very much screams Rock N' Roll and moreover, it is one of the best live hard rock bands out there.

Edited by The Archer

Axl hasn't done that. Also, Duff isn't obligated to call the band Guns N' Roses, just because that's the legal name. It's obvious that Axl has a lot of pride in the GN'R name and would not do anything that would make the sound and look of Guns so unrecognizable. The look of the 2002 lineup may have been pushing it but the current lineup very much screams Rock N' Roll and moreover, it is one of the best live hard rock bands out there.

One, Duff has just become friends with Axl again. You really think he'd jeopardize that and risk not talking to him again for another 12 years for not calling the band GN'R? That'd be stupid on his part and would ruin a relationship over a semantic argument.

But since Axl legally owns the name, he COULD do that if he wanted.

Let's see what this lineup can do. They may look rock, but let's see.

Like I said, I support BOTH bands, but I recognize that Guns and New Guns are two separate bands--Two separate bands which have the same name. Which is cool. I'm fine with Axl having the name--It doesn't bother me. In fact, I prefer his Industrial material like Oh My God to more 'traditional' GN'R-ish songs like Street of Dreams. It's Guns N' Roses legally, and to me, it's NEW Guns N' Roses.

I can enjoy both bands for different reasons. It's similar to how some people prefer Dio Black Sabbath to Ozzy Black Sabbath--Different, but good for different reasons.

But let's not pretend that this Guns is the same as the old one.

Edited by Indigo Child

Or group photo.

He's a nice guy, laid back, down to Earth, but I don't think ANY of GN'R--Neither Slash or Duff--considered him a full member.

what's a stupid opinion?

You're 100% right. I was just arguing against his opinion that only the '85 to '90 lineup was Guns. I love the 1991-1996 lineups, they're all good for different reasons.

New Guns compared to Guns is like ants next to dinosaurs, and the public will never forget Slash no matter how many times he's replaced. Izzy is kind of another deal. Even though we diehard Guns fans know how important he was, let's be honest--the casual music listener or casual GN'R fan doesn't really give a damn about anybody in Guns except for Axl and Slash. It's like that with most bands though. The Rolling Stones has Mick and Keith and as long as you have just those two, most casual listeners would probably consider it the Stones. Led Zeppelin had Page and Plant. The Doors had Morrison and Manzarek. Every band has two central figures, two standouts.

Even if this band now was composed of Axl, DJ, Izzy, Duff and Matt, the general public probably wouldn't consider it Guns due to lack of Slash.

He's just one of those unreplacable people. Look at how Aerosmith fared without Joe Perry.

Yeah I agree, I wouldn't say up until Steven's departure was "the only true GNR" either. He was key to the sound of Appetite, but even then the other guys proved his true significance (or lack of) with Use Your Illusion.

That wouldn't be Guns N Roses in anything other than name then, it would be an entirely different entity to what Guns N Roses stands for and has always stood for. Blistering rock n' roll music with a gentler side concealed somewhere in there. The band as it is nowadays however are more than capable of delivering on that principle, producing great GNR records and playing live shows that thrill audiences the world over... all I can ask from them really.

It's a fucking slap in the face when you see guys like Ron and Richard out there doing their stellar best every show and you've still got ungrateful fucknuggets on here going "Meh, it's not the same"... I'm not saying this for the sake of sucking up to Axl, he's not even my favourite member of the band, but the band as a whole are amazing and deserve more credit than stick, which is not what they're getting at the moment.

It's a fucking slap in the face when you see guys like Ron and Richard out there doing their stellar best every show and you've still got ungrateful fucknuggets on here going "Meh, it's not the same"... I'm not saying this for the sake of sucking up to Axl, he's not even my favourite member of the band, but the band as a whole are amazing and deserve more credit than stick, which is not what they're getting at the moment.

It's a very good cover band.

Or group photo.

what's a stupid opinion?

Yeah I agree, I wouldn't say up until Steven's departure was "the only true GNR" either. He was key to the sound of Appetite, but even then the other guys proved his true significance (or lack of) with Use Your Illusion.

I don't think he was key to the sound of Appetite at all. Look at GN'R Lies--Acoustic and so only a few of the songs have any real drumming, yet it's still awesome and groovy. Slash and Izzy's guitars being equally loud in the mix and riffing with each other was key to the sound. Izzy is too much down in the mix on the UYI and so you don't have that ''guitar weaving'' sound--That fiery, blistering trade off of licks, riffs and lead parts. Also, the guitars on the UYI aren't as raw. Nonetheless, the UYI is awesome and amazing anyway. Look at songs like Perfect Crime, Coma, You Could be Mine, Right Next Door to Hell, Don't Damn Me--Songs that rival anything on AFD IMO, and totally without the imput of Steven.

Put anyone on drums on AFD and it doesn't take away how awesome the riffs, bass and vocals are.

Edited by Indigo Child

Put anyone on drums on AFD and it doesn't take away how awesome the riffs, bass and vocals are.

I don't agree with that. Matt's shitty drumming on the AFD tracks during the UYI Tour is proof that you can't just put "anyone" on drums and get the same result.

Still, his drumming didn't take away from the songs themselves. It's not like you listen to a UYI tour show and "Shit, I can't listen, the drums are so horrible."

Steven is a Hair Metal Drummer. Matt's more a Heavy Metal drummer. I prefer Matt's sound, and really compared to Steven his drumming style was more fit for the '90s.

Look at Matt's work on Snakepit and VR. When given more creative room, Matt shines.

The only thing that Matt had against him in the old days was his haircut. But then again, Steven's haircut was really no better.

The fact that Paul Tobias writes a song with Axl is not only irrelevant : Dizzy refers to Paul as "one guy who was with us for a while", Ron says he has never ever seen him in the studio during both 2006 and 2007.

Why would Paul need to be present in the studio while Ron adds guitar parts over top of 6-year-old material? :question:

" with out Paul .......... there would be no Guns N Roses"