There is no "current line up"

Young_Gun

Even Duff, as late as a day ago, refers to the current line up as Guns N' Roses..... :rolleyes:

It's legally called Guns N' Roses. But that doesn't mean it is in fact.

If Axl hired members of the Wu Tang Clan, Marilyn Manson, Tool, and D12, and put out a Rap/Techno/Industrial album and called it Guns N' Roses, would that make it so?

Axl hasn't done that. Also, Duff isn't obligated to call the band Guns N' Roses, just because that's the legal name. It's obvious that Axl has a lot of pride in the GN'R name and would not do anything that would make the sound and look of Guns so unrecognizable. The look of the 2002 lineup may have been pushing it but the current lineup very much screams Rock N' Roll and moreover, it is one of the best live hard rock bands out there.

One, Duff has just become friends with Axl again. You really think he'd jeopardize that and risk not talking to him again for another 12 years for not calling the band GN'R? That'd be stupid on his part and would ruin a relationship over a semantic argument.

But since Axl legally owns the name, he COULD do that if he wanted.

Let's see what this lineup can do. They may look rock, but let's see.

Like I said, I support BOTH bands, but I recognize that Guns and New Guns are two separate bands--Two separate bands which have the same name. Which is cool. I'm fine with Axl having the name--It doesn't bother me. In fact, I prefer his Industrial material like Oh My God to more 'traditional' GN'R-ish songs like Street of Dreams. It's Guns N' Roses legally, and to me, it's NEW Guns N' Roses.

I can enjoy both bands for different reasons. It's similar to how some people prefer Dio Black Sabbath to Ozzy Black Sabbath--Different, but good for different reasons.

But let's not pretend that this Guns is the same as the old one.

I think that whatever the reason, Duff tacitly acknowledges that the rights to the GNR name, belong to Axl. I see it as something like Ozzy Ozbourne acknowledging that the Sabbath name belongs to Tonny Iommi or Mark Evans saying that AC/DC belongs to Malcolm Young.

No one says that the current line up is the same as the old one. That would be as much an insult to the new band members as to the old ones. That's why this one is referred to as the current lineup or new Guns, as opposed to the classic lineup/Older Lineups/Old Guns. Even Axl calls the old lineup Old Guns. Old Guns and New Guns. It seems quite simple really.

It's a fucking slap in the face when you see guys like Ron and Richard out there doing their stellar best every show and you've still got ungrateful fucknuggets on here going "Meh, it's not the same"... I'm not saying this for the sake of sucking up to Axl, he's not even my favourite member of the band, but the band as a whole are amazing and deserve more credit than stick, which is not what they're getting at the moment.

+ 1 (except that Axl IS my favorite band member :tongue2: )

Edited by The Archer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're just being picky. You know exactly what people mean. You're like one of these people who takes a fit when someone says "Original GNR".

OMG NO ORIGINAL GNR HAD TRACII GUNS BITCH

I know what people mean, but i don't understand it. The nature of Guns post 1994 has not been one of a organic band, far from it. Yet you still get people that hope this current incarnation will all go into the studio together(which isn't how Guns work anymore either) and put out an album in a short time(which isn't how Guns work either).

You're just being picky. You know exactly what people mean. You're like one of these people who takes a fit when someone says "Original GNR".

I know what people mean, but i don't understand it. The nature of Guns post 1994 has not been one of a organic band, far from it. Yet you still get people that hope this current incarnation will all go into the studio together(which isn't how Guns work anymore either) and put out an album in a short time(which isn't how Guns work either).

You know that how? If they want to, they could.

I dunno. I just think it'd be a waste of a perfectly good album *not* to release the songs that have been completed. Robin and Bucket's parts really shouldn't be rerecorded either, as their work on CD shows what amazing studio musicians they are and, again, would be a waste of their talent and contributions. That said, I agree with the OP and just really would love to hear this album as it is.

I'm praying for a March 2011 release. :thumbsup:

You are right I do hope it happens, I hope it happens because I think the outcome will be a much tighter sounding album than Chinese Democracy was and I think that will make for a more successful album. That said I am realistic enough to know that this probably wont happen and if we do get a new album at all (which is unlikely to happen any time soon) then it will probably be more songs which were written in the late 90s/early 00s with some extra guitar parts added by Ron & DJ. This doesn't mean that it will suck or anything, I just think that another album made this way will be met with the same indifference as Chinese was.

Guns N'Roses don't exist anymore, they all quit bar Axl Rose

All that remains is Axl Roses + hired hands

Some of the hired hands write, some of he hires hands work in the studio, and some of the hired hands play live.

This probably goes some way to explaining why there has been no Chinese Democracy music video, or one hit single.

Or group photo.

Axl probably considers these guys the same way Mick, Keith, Ron and Charlie of the Rolling Stones consider Darryl Jones.

Darryl Jones replaced Bill Wyman in 1993 and has been their exclusive bassist on every tour and album since. So, he's been with them nearly 20 years as their exclusive bassist. However, he is not an official member of the band, nor does he have any say in the band's plans, setlists or writing, nor does he get a percentage. He's on salary. He's a "Hired Stone."

Even Matt was considered a Gunner so to speak during his tenure--Higher in statue than these guys. Read Axl interviews which talk about Matt when Matt was in the band. He really had no problem with Matt staying in the band, and he became close with Slash and Duff while in Guns. Gilby, not so much--Gilby was a Hired Gun.

Who needs *official* group photos when we get lots of these -

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=168878586457623&set=a.168878369790978.41545.118315201513962&l=7ed4248deb

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=41545&id=118315201513962&l=7ed4248deb

You know that how? If they want to, they could.

Because this is how it has worked even during making Illusions. Slash said that Axl was barely there during the songwriting process. Axl said he and Slash would talk over the phone to give ideas like "hold this note longer" or "try this bend there". Axl would show up long after the other band had left the studio during making Symphony for the devil. Axl's nocturnal working hours are well known also. Tom Zutant said that during Illusions, that Axl would only come in to add his icing on the cake after the songs were done. Patty Hood(the harpist that played on TIL) said she only met Axl AFTER she did her work. It is very clear that this isn't a band like Tool, where its a collaborative and improvised effort. Do you actually believe that the band all sit around and jam out ideas like Metallica did in the St Anger documentary? Dizzy didn't even know if his piano parts made it to the album, what does that tell you? Even the solos are heavily comped by Axl.

Oh and even if they wanted to, they couldn't, Axl(aka Guns N' Roses inc.) would have to approve. And he hasn't worked that way for 20 years. I don't mean any ill will here, i love Chinese Democracy and have turned a few friends into new Guns fans, but people thinking this incarnation will function like a garage band just because they now look "rock n roll" have got it wrong.