Why didn't Axl hire someone known?

Vincent Vega

Most of the established guitar players wouldn't want the gig anyway because it required covering so much of another guitarist's material. Even if the new guitarist had recorded an album with the band, they still would have spent 2/3's of the live shows covering Slash and alot of established guys aren't into that kind of thing. Guys who've never made it big and collected a good paycheck before are much more willing to basically do/play as their told than guys who have already made it and don't "need" the gig.

After years of reading on this forum I have finally registered.

My question is why would Axl hire a really well known musician of the same status as the ones you previously mentioned?.

He needed people capable but still for the most part unknown to be able to establish the status of Guns N' Roses guitarist/bassist or whatever, anyone as well known as the ones you mentioned would never be accepted as part of the band the way the others have. Yeh, people may have jizzed over someone more universally known but I think the current members are gaining their status within Guns N' Roses with their own merit and capabilities.

I for one, think DJ and BBF are doing the band's public image and reputation wonders because of their personable presences on stage and their interaction with the fans and they are undoubtedly worthy of their places within Guns on a musical level.

the whole turned over their rights is a bit of a misnomer anyway. Slash and Duff still get publishing rights for songs with their names on it. If Axl sells the catalog, Slash gets a cut. They just don't get merchandise royalties.

I think that Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson, Brain were some kind of star. I don't mean that was like Jimmy Page or Keith Richards... but for people who know something about music and listen to many different bands NIN, The Replacements and Primus aren't anonymous.

I think that Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson, Brain were some kind of star. I don't mean that was like Jimmy Page or Keith Richards... but for people who know something about music and listen to many different bands NIN, The Replacements and Primus aren't anonymous.

All of the guys are musicians Axl respects. He's always had a great ear. He knew about NWA, moby, NIN, and some other bands before most of us had heard of them. No reason to think thats not what he did here. Those of you harping on the control thing are hilarious, even after many interviews with former members commenting on Axl trying to incorporate everyone's ideas.

All of the guys are musicians Axl respects. He's always had a great ear. He knew about NWA, moby, NIN, and some other bands before most of us had heard of them. No reason to think thats not what he did here. Those of you harping on the control thing are hilarious, even after many interviews with former members commenting on Axl trying to incorporate everyone's ideas.

14 years of silencce.

After years of reading on this forum I have finally registered.

My question is why would Axl hire a really well known musician of the same status as the ones you previously mentioned?.

He needed people capable but still for the most part unknown to be able to establish the status of Guns N' Roses guitarist/bassist or whatever, anyone as well known as the ones you mentioned would never be accepted as part of the band the way the others have. Yeh, people may have jizzed over someone more universally known but I think the current members are gaining their status within Guns N' Roses with their own merit and capabilities.

I for one, think DJ and BBF are doing the band's public image and reputation wonders because of their personable presences on stage and their interaction with the fans and they are undoubtedly worthy of their places within Guns on a musical level.

Okay, that's enough out of you.

JK, glad you came in out of the shadows.

WTF. How any regular people can name the Bass Player in almost any band? If I told someone who John Deacon or Billy Sheehan were they wouldn't have a clue.

Most regular people know the lead singer and MAYBE the lead guitar player...

How many people even knew Izzy had been replaced or the drummer for that matter on the illusions album. I bet most people didn't even know who Duff was at the time.

Tommy Stinson an unknown? Josh Freese an unknown?

In all honesty, does anyone outside of Replacements fans or Guns' fans now know of Tommy?

And Josh is a session guy.

Tommy is well well known in the punk community, so I wouldn't go around saying he's unknown outside of his bands, he got quite the reputation.