Slash on Eddie Trunk right now talking about Duff/Axl reunion

Cockaroachsoup80

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a remastering of AFD and both UYI would be awesome. If that's the most to ever come from any kind of Slash/Axl reconciliation, I'd be satisfied. Fix the drums, bring up Izzy, and bring up the bass. Duff was doing some outstanding bass work on UYI.

Edited by Stro

Dude real gnr fans

Stopped reading right there

aaww bitch bitch haha. old gunners is the best. and if you dont agree then your basically going against everything that made the guns n roses name big news and business

Lol so be it then. Look, I don't particularly care about the "legacy" or success of the old lineup (or the current one for that matter), because it's not the end to all music to me.

is Izzy up for the reunion? Never hear much from him.

Here is what he had to say about it back in 2001

A hypothetical question then: Axl's [solo] album flops, and he offers you all the chance to get back together - just like Aerosmith and Sabbath - would you do it? I mean, assuming Axl would be... "broke?" he cuts in, laughing. "I could hear the call." Goes into gruff Axl impersonation: "'You know, I've been, ah, thinking'. He talks really slow when he gets an idea like that. 'Aahhh, I've been thinking...' And I'd be thinking, 'He must be broke'," he chuckles. "That's how I imagine the call would go."

He said the band still get hopeful promoters trying to tempt them back together with promises of enourmous wedge. "Oh, yeah. Around the big millenium hype, for sure." Is he ever tempted? "Yeah, why not?" he chuckles, "A [one-off] gig would be easy, I'd think."

What about an album, though? Now he really does laugh.

"Well, you know what? It's funny cos like me, Duff and Slash - we could go in and make a Guns N' Roses record in a week. basic tracks. [but] vocals and leads [instrumentation] could take God knows how long..."

Complete interview

http://www.chopaway.com/articles/classicrock2001.php

Yeh man that was almost 10 years ago now. I mean I dont know about you but my mind would have forgot I'd even said that by now. and who knows maybe he took up gambling or taking drugs or maybe he's dreaming of being a telemarketer. Who knows?

A hypothetical question then: Axl's [solo] album flops, and he offers you all the chance to get back together - just like Aerosmith and Sabbath - would you do it? I mean, assuming Axl would be... "broke?" he cuts in, laughing. "I could hear the call." Goes into gruff Axl impersonation: "'You know, I've been, ah, thinking'. He talks really slow when he gets an idea like that. 'Aahhh, I've been thinking...' And I'd be thinking, 'He must be broke'," he chuckles. "That's how I imagine the call would go."

He said the band still get hopeful promoters trying to tempt them back together with promises of enourmous wedge. "Oh, yeah. Around the big millenium hype, for sure." Is he ever tempted? "Yeah, why not?" he chuckles, "A [one-off] gig would be easy, I'd think."

"Well, you know what? It's funny cos like me, Duff and Slash - we could go in and make a Guns N' Roses record in a week. basic tracks. [but] vocals and leads [instrumentation] could take God knows how long..."

Complete interview

Yeh man that was almost 10 years ago now. I mean I dont know about you but my mind would have forgot I'd even said that by now. and who knows maybe he took up gambling or taking drugs or maybe he's dreaming of being a telemarketer. Who knows?

Gotta love Izzy! Great interview.

I think a remastering of AFD and both UYI would be awesome. If that's the most to ever come from any kind of Slash/Axl reconciliation, I'd be satisfied. Fix the drums, bring up Izzy, and bring up the bass. Duff was doing some outstanding bass work on UYI.

Remastering would be awesome. But to fix the drums, they'll need to fix the drummer.

Slash is begging like a puppy here, he should just stop it.

No he's not

He does seem to bring it up almost as often as Steven, I assumed Axl left this topic with the Direct answers he asserted in his interviews,ie: "The truth, however unfortunate,is that either slash or I will die before a reunion", doesn't sound to me like he is having any of it, strong statement.

Anything can happen as long as they're alive.... just don't hold your breath.

There's a lot of bands I never thought would've gotten back together again.

Definitely far from holding my breath concerning the situation, but I have seen the current lineup in Canada

and I was very impressed, am interested to see what happens, they have chemistry and are technically better than the former members imo. :)

Trunk really getting him to open up! Pretty interesting stuff. I'm paraphrasing here: Slash says the bad stuff between him and Axl only comes from that final period in 96. "If Axl wants to do it, we need to talk, and I want to do it. We need clean up the personal stuff, and business stuff. It's seems like it will be a fun cool thing to do. We have to do it different than 91, 92, and I just don't think that is possible. But, it's hard to say what is going on with all that stuff. I haven't been thinking about it, but need to. Steven has the best thoughts about it, "let's do it", but he wasn't there from 91-96. I'm done talking about it.

Slash stating in same sentence he wants a reunion, but then saying not possible.

Disclaimer, I have no argument or personal desire for or against a reunion. I love the new band, and of course would love a reunion. As long as I see either again soon, I'm cool.

Okay, I watched That Metal Show and I didn't hear Slash talk about a GNR reunion. He did mention not wanting to talk about it anymore and that's why he wrote his book. I haven't read his book, but from his tone, it sounded like an original GNR reunion would never happen.

He did mention if GNR ever got inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame he would be there as he thinks most of the guys would.

when asked who he would want as a singer, Axl or Scott, Slash did say Axl, but as for a reunion, I really don't think either Slash or Axl want one.

Axl has said he's moved on with his new band. But I have heard Steven and Duff say it could happen because everyone of the original members are alive. I think it could happen, but I won't hold my breathe. At this stage of my ljfe I would just love to see Axl and i really don't care which band are behind him.

Complete interview

...and what he said in 2008

Exclusive Interview with Izzy Stradlin [OCTOBER 2008]

Popular1

But if it were to occur, you would consider the possibility of a reunion?

Izzy: “Yes, of course. I wrote great deal of that material."

:krider:

Bottom line is no original members need the money so they don't need to reunite.

Whether or not Slash or Duff's or Steven's band make a lot of money, the guys are still getting money from their GNR cds. I hear GNR being played constantly on the Dallas rock station and most of the DJ's always have something negative about Axl, but they know the fans still want to hear their music.

All the original members are in the 40's now, if there is a reunion it better be soon or no one even the fans will care.

But since all the members have had good musical careers after GNR, I highly doubt a reunion will ever happen.

I wish to be proven wrong!

I had the pleasure of meeting Slash this year with thanks to my friend winning a competition :) and ran into him at the airport, and he's the most down to earth guy eva!!! and I think with or the politics that have bene happening with Axl lately people walking out of his gigs, that Slash would be going backwards playing with him he's too good!! Thats my opinion neways!!!!

I had the pleasure of meeting Slash this year with thanks to my friend winning a competition :) and ran into him at the airport, and he's the most down to earth guy eva!!! and I think with or the politics that have bene happening with Axl lately people walking out of his gigs, that Slash would be going backwards playing with him he's too good!! Thats my opinion neways!!!!

I agree that Slash is an amazing guitar player and he seems like a nice guy, but Axl and the new GNR just did a year long tour and maybe there were a few problems at a few shows, but most of the tour was a huge success.

Whatever the reason Axl hates Slash it's what will stop them from reuniting.

Like I said, they have all moved on to other things and still get royalties from the original GNR records, so money is not the issue for any of them.

I would still like to know what Slash wrote in his book as to why he and Axl will not reunite. He said he told the reason and doesn't wish to discuss it anymore.

As for Axl, he doesn't give interviews and every now and then says something bad about Slash, but nothing further.

I've about given up on a reunion. It's been almost 20 years, so I think that ship has sailed. At this stage, I would just like to see Axl live no matter what band is behind him.

I would still like to know what Slash wrote in his book as to why he and Axl will not reunite. He said he told the reason and doesn't wish to discuss it anymore.

According to his book, page 454, here are the reasons why he left.

I'd like to make one more thing pretty clear, because this is another question that haunts me almost everyday, ususally because it's asked by people who don't know me at all. I'd like to state, very simply once more why I choose not to continue on with Guns N Roses so that no one feels the need to ask me ever again when they see me on the street. Here it goes:

1) The constant disrespect for all involved by going on late for no good reason night after night.

2) The Legal manipulation that Axl forced on us, from demanding ownership of the name to downgrading us, contractually, to hired hands.

3) Losing Izzy and Steven, who were such an integral part of the band's sound and personality....without them, the band no longer hand its original chemistry

He goes on to say that musical differences had nothing to do with the split and he would have worked with Axl on an industrial record if it had been as equal partners.

Those are the reasons he quit and everytime he is asked about a reunion he continually states that issues 1) and 2) would need to be resolved with Axl before he would consider getting back together...

If you have not already read his autobiography it is a great read and highly recommended even if you are not a Slash fan.............

Thank you so much for letting me know about slash's book. I think he might have talked a little about this on That Metal Show. It sounds familier.

I do agree that Steven and Izzy along with Slash, Duff and Axl were and always will be not only the original GNR lineup, but the best ever, but didn't Izzy leave on his own? Maybe it was because of what Slash said, but I thought Izzy wanted to do his own thing. I know he and Axl are still friends because Izzy has played a few shows with Axl in the past. We also know Axl and Duff are okay and Steven still loves Axl and would still play with him anytime.

GNR were one of those bands that changed the face of music in the 80's. Their legacy lives on and will continue to live on generation after generation. For us fans who lived through their original lineup, it would be so awesome to have them reunite even for one last tour, but that was 20 years ago and since the guys have lived it and being older now, the dynamics mights not be the same, but you never know? Look at Led Zepplin and The rollings Stones. The stones still sell out shows even after years of not touring. I think GNR would have the same impact on their fans, but if Axl is still holding onto those grudges, than this will never happen. Like I said before, all the original band members are doing many other music projects while still reaping the benefits from the original GNR music, so it might not be a big priority as it is for us fans to see them reunite.

Whatever happens in the future, I'm just glad that there once was the great and powerful GNR who will always be knows for changing music in the late 80's and you can never take that away from any of them.