Slash on Eddie Trunk right now talking about Duff/Axl reunion

Cockaroachsoup80

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it would be hard to get a reunion for them, because Axl has said that either Slash on himself would have to die before there was a chance of a reunion.

But, if there were to be one I would say it could happen in 2011, since that is when Guns N' Roses can be inducted into the RNR Hall of Fame.

There will never be a proper reunion,at best we may get a one off for charity or something,and even thats a long time away,Axl way too fucked up in the head to jam with Slash again for a long time.....

SAD BUT TRUE...........

No, and I don't think I will be reading it. I'm sure that Axl has his own own unique version of events, but what I will give the man is that a) he is consistent and b.) he seems to have very firm rules about what he believes in and stands by. People like that have a hard time forgiving those who've betrayed their trust.

If you haven't read Slash's book you only have Axl's narrow view of events so how can you say he is blaming Axl for everything when you don't even know what the man said??

Do you take the word of the majority just because they've parroted one version consistently over a long period of time, while the man in question kept silent during all that time battling his own issues as well as those that they created?

Each of the former members have basically given the same version of events dealing with Axl so you figure they all got together and agreed to tell the same story just to make Axl look bad? Couldn't be that what they claim actually happened could it? Come on mate you really are reaching here..All I know is Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven as well as others who were actually there and lived the events all tell the same story while Axl is the only person pushing his version of events.......if you are honest with yourself even you have to admit it does not look good for Axl...

Let me ask you - does Slash's book or any statement from the others' interviews ever claim that Axl was at the levels of drug addled lack of sobriety that they reached? If tomorrow they all claimed that Axl was as stoned and drunk senseless as they were, would that make it the truth?

'Axl wanted complete control of the band, Axl made life miserable, Axl did this, Axl did that' - yeah, yeah we've all heard that before and some of you have no problems in believing the words of some obviously inconsistent people who were out of their senses during most of the events in question, versus one person, who while unbending and a maverick in most things, was more likely in control of himself and his actions.

You can even dispute Axl's actions or his behavior if you want to, but I give it to the man for being upfront about what he is about and I doubt that he was ever confused about what actually happened.

So you figure they were all so out of it from drugs and alcohol they all dreamed up the same story to make Axl look bad? again you are really reaching to defend your position here mate...........

Axl's given enough information on what transpired about most of these things and denied all those accusations - you don't even have to go read a book for it - some of it is in the Axl chats on the main page - unfiltered and not embellished by any ghost writer. So, is it because his is one voice against many that you can't or won't trust his version of events????

Axl is the only one giving his side of the story while all the ex membes and others who were close to the band and were there tell similar stories... it is obvious you love Axl and believe anything he says but really based on the comments of people who were there your defense of Axl does not look very strong

I give up. Axl's version is narrow because it's only him. But, you base your comments on people who were there - meaning who? Slash, Duff and Matt? The same people who before they formed another band, walked out one by one out of Gn'R and then together chorused that they were coerced into signing their rights over, but in hindsight decided that it was a bad move? Either they were just incredibly stupid doing that and in all these intervening years, have just stuck to a version of events which they sincerely believe to be the truth or just agreed on a version that they wanted everyone to believe. Really, not too difficult either way. After all, history is always kind to those whose version gets out first.

Edited by The Archer

All you really need to read in the interview is what he says about Steven Tyler being on a "show like that",(concerning American Idol).Because if I'm not mistaken,wasn't he a GUEST MENTOR on the show like that?The reason Axl was the way he was in 96 or whatever,is because Slash was too fucked up to care about the band ,and AXL did what he did so he could carry on G & R,and not have to worry about stupid lawsuits years down the road.To me,AXL bought the rights because he knew they were gonna break up(due to certain members drug use) and he wanted to protect his baby.

Maybe if Slash is lucky,Steven Tyler will invite him on American Idol as a mentor again someday.

All you really need to read in the interview is what he says about Steven Tyler being on a "show like that",(concerning American Idol).Because if I'm not mistaken,wasn't he a GUEST MENTOR on the show like that?The reason Axl was the way he was in 96 or whatever,is because Slash was too fucked up to care about the band ,and AXL did what he did so he could carry on G & R,and not have to worry about stupid lawsuits years down the road.To me,AXL bought the rights because he knew they were gonna break up(due to certain members drug use) and he wanted to protect his baby.

Maybe if Slash is lucky,Steven Tyler will invite him on American Idol as a mentor again someday.

Thats strange because I believe if I am not mistaken Slash, Gilby and Matt went into the studio and wrote all the songs to the 5 Oclock Somewhere album as a followup to UYI and Axl never showed up to the studio...Axl then did not want the songs and Slash decided to do Snakepit and toured off of them while Axl did nothing.....So who was really taking care of business back then? And please provide proof Axl bought the rights to the name due to drug use? where is this coming from? Go read the interviews I uploaded and learn what really happened during that time instead of making shit up.......

Thats strange because I believe if I am not mistaken Slash, Gilby and Matt went into the studio and wrote all the songs to the 5 Oclock Somewhere album as a followup to UYI and Axl never showed up to the studio...Axl then did not want the songs and Slash decided to do Snakepit and toured off of them while Axl did nothing.....So who was really taking care of business back then? And please provide proof Axl bought the rights to the name due to drug use? where is this coming from? Go read the interviews I uploaded and learn what really happened during that time instead of making shit up.......

Exactly....SLASH,GILBY AND MATT.......basically Slash's songs ......there is no proof he bought the rights due to drug use...it's simply my opinion and it's well documented how fucked up Slash and Duff were at this point....and I think it was smart of Axl to buy the rights so he could continue on with Guns.....all i know is,who care?...Axl has moved on,former Guns obviously have buried the hatchets and joined him onstage with the new band...and Slash continues being Slash....he'd play with Justin Beiber if he thought he'd get exposure from it.......

Your not doing a good job supporting your position mate....You claim Axl had buy the name due to drugs breaking up the band yet you provide no proof that he actually bought the name and if Slash was so fucked up how was he able to write a whole album of songs and tour off them when Axl rejected them? I would say Slash, with Gilby and Matt, were doing a better job trying to keep the band moving

and trying to make a new album then Axl during that period.......

Slash does not join Axl on stage because they have issues with each other but Slash has reached out to Axl in the past only to be rejected...As Slash has said in the past it is a bigger deal for Axl then it is him. And Slash has moved on with Snakepit, Velvet Revolver and his recent solo tour which I got to see and it was a tremendous show...He would do a reunion if he could work things out with Axl but he is not sitting around waiting for it to happen

Slash likes to play with different people and try different types of music which is why he is in big demand as a session player...stop being a hater and making shit up..........

"The plan," announces Slash, "is for Duff (McKagan, bass) and Matt (Sorum, drums) to take off their band, Neurotic Outsiders, for a while [to a tour that would span from 09/05/96 to 09/28/96], leaving me and Axl to write stuff. If that spark gets rolling, then great. If it doesn't and we get into a fight, I'll just carry on playing gigs and jamming - with Snakepit or whatever. It's not complicated. At least, I don't see it that way." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"We have been doing mostly Axl's material." (Slash chat, 10/16/96)

"Axl treated the situation as if he and I were the two most important factors in the whole thing. He tried to convince me it was all good, that it was something he and I were doing as partners. He was trying to draw me into his world, to show me his version of things in his way, which is a very nice way, but I just didn't go for it." (Slash, Autobiography)

"The band managed to do a little bit of jamming and come up with some things. A couple of the ideas I had come up with Axl apparently liked and they were recorded onto Pro Tools and stored for him to work on later." (Slash, autobiography)

"Axl is rhythym guitar on his own songs for the time being." (Slash chat, 07/30/96)

"[slash] also enthuses about the new material Guns N' Roses have been writing. Apperently, the band members are currently trading tapes amongst themselves [before the actual recording sessions]. "It's amazing stuff," he says." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"Axl and I have been meeting recently and everythings progressing." (Slash chat, 07/30/96)

"At one point he said he was gonna a solo project, then he decided his solo-project he could do with Guns, which I was like, after doing all those videos and this and that and the other, I was like: "No". [laughs] No, I don't wanna get involved in any kind of Stephanie Seymour ballads or any of that shit." (Slash, Canadian Radio, 04/20/95)

"But there was a point there where Axl goes: 'I'm gonna do a solo record, and I'm gonna get Trent Reznor and Dave Navarro, and the drummer from Nirvana...' and so on. And it's like, he doesn't even know half of these people. He's just pulling them out of the sky. And I was like, 'Cool! Do your thing. That way you'll get it out of your system, and when you get back we'll just be Guns N' Roses.'" (Slash, Metal Hammer, 11/95)

"Aftonbladet: You, Duff McKagan, Gilby Clarke... The most people in the band have made records outside Guns. Isn't Axl going to do a solo-record soon?

Slash: Axl thinks that Guns is his solo-project." (Slash, Aftonbladet, 04/02/95)

"I started hanging out with Matt and recording demos of that stuff just for fun, and Mike Inez from Alice in Chains and Gilby started to come around and play with us. The three of us just got into a groove of jamming and recording every night. We didn't know what it was going to be. At some point I played it for Axl, who took a pronounced disinterest in it." (Slash, Autobiography)

"On the first Snakepit-record I used some ideas which were really planned for the next GN'R-record, but Axl and I disagreed on the future direction of the band. I played Axl a demo with some of my ideas for songs, and all he said was: "I don't feel like playing this kind of music." I answered: "But this could be a excellent Gunner-record, hundred percent in GN'R style." He didn't really care 'cause he only wanted to play industrial and Pearl Jam-sounding crap." (Slash, 'Rock Hard' Magazine, 03/00)

"The Snakepit album could have been the new GNR album, but Axl didn't think it was good enough." (Matt, 1996)

"Kerrang!: How's the next GN'R album progressing?

Gilby: "There is no 'next GN'R album'!"

K!: EVER?!

G: "I don't know about ever. For now. We started working on one, and it got canned."

K!: How come?

G: Well, it's an Axl thing. He just wasn't into what we were doing, so he's kind of rethinking what he wants to do. He just kind of threw a wrench into everything that me, Slash and Matt had worked to. And then Duff came in. Duff and Axl have an idea what the album should be, and the rest of us have another idea." (Gilby, Kerrang, 05/24/94)

"What people don't know is, the [slash's] Snakepit album, that is the Guns N' Roses album. I just wouldn't do it. [...] Duff walked out on it, and I walked out on it, because I wasn't allowed to be any part of it. It's like, 'No, you do this, that's how it is.'" (Axl, MTV, 11/08/99)

"Duff, Axl, Matt, Gilby and I got together on and off to try and write new material, which didn't prove inspiring at all. By that point, the support group I'd always enjoyed to help me deal with Axl was gone - Izzy was the last one in the band who'd been able to get through to him creatively. Between Duff and me... we just didn't have the proper tools to communicate with him effectively." (Slash, Autobiography)

"We started going to Slash's house. [...] He has a little studio there and we had a batch of songs. But, ya' know what? Without Izzy, we just weren't writing the old way. We had a bunch of great songs, but the way we used to write wasn't all sitting in a room and trying to force ourselves to be a family. We just were. But there was a point up there where it was looking good and we started cranking out songs, but it just started falling apart." (Duff, Metal Edge, 06/99)

"We don't know if we're gonna be writing with Gilby or somebody else. We know we want to play with Gilby, but we're not sure about the writing." (Axl, Hit Parader, 1993)

"My last conversation with [Axl] was when he called me and was trying to explain what he wanted to do. And, basically, it was: I want to change the sound of the band. You know, I want to go more into a current direction. You know, I want to use, you know, more industrial type things. You know, he was really into bands like Jane's Addiction, Pearl Jam and Nine Inch Nails. And I just kinda laughed and said: You know, look - I want to play guitar in a loud version of The Rolling Stones, you know?" (Gilby, Spin, 07/99)

"I had known for a long time that Axl was going to change the direction of the band. I knew the end was coming," he said. "That's why I dug deep into my solo career. There were days when Axl would call Slash and go, "Fire Gilby - he doesn't fit in with my plan," but he would never tell me. That was going on for a long time." (Gilby, Daily Trojan, 04/14/99)

"After a few months during which everyone did their own thing and we got nothing done when we met, Axl fired Gilby without consulting anyone. His rationale was that Gilby had always been a hired hand and that he couldn't write with him." (Slash, Autobiography)

"The whole Guns N' Roses situation with Gilby wasn't as cut and dry as it seems. He wasn't really fired officially. Axl just didn't wanna write with him. He never even got a chance to write with us." (Slash, Canadian Radio, 04/20/95)

"For a while there, I contributed a lot [to the would-be Snakepit demos]. But now, I don't know how much I'm going to contribute. Like I said, Axl pretty much threw a wrench into everything. He didn't like what we were all doing." (Gilby, Kerrang, 05/24/94)

"And so, I told Gilby that that was going on. So he didn't hear it from somewhere else. Because if you know, in this business, leaks are like crazy. And it's just best to be upfront and honest about thing. So I told him what was going on. Then he had words with Axl and then in turn he had words with Duff. And that sort of cemented the, you know, the relationship, the departure. Whatever you wanna call it." (Slash, Canadian Radio, 04/20/95)

"Matt: When it was Gilby, humm, when I learned that he was fired, it was difficult. There was Slash, Duff and Axl, the 3 original members of the band and they said they had to tell me. I didn't knew what to say. It's their band and I didn't knew how to react. I said OK.

H.R.: You didn't care?

Matt: Absolutely not! He's a great guy. But I don't know if he was the good guy to write the new album with us. We did some songs together, but Axl thought it was not good enough." (Matt, 1996)

"I played Snakepit to Zutaut, [Geffen Records] agreed to put it out, and that was all I cared to hear. [...] Looking back, I realize that while they thought I was putting the future of Guns in jeopardy by pursuing Snakepit, they decided it was more important to humor me." (Slash, autobiography)

"All of a sudden, after the album was finished, [Axl] goes: "Remember those tapes I have. You know, I want to..." He didn't know we'd finished the record. And he goes: "This song, this song, this song, this song and this song." And I went: "Dude, we finished it already. It's gone". And he goes: "You couldn't have done an album in two weeks." I said: "Oh yeah. I can". You can do that. And it turned into a big fight." (Slash, Canadian Radio, 04/20/95)

"G: Was it true about Axl wanting to sue you over use of songs?

S: Yeah. At one point he didn't like the songs, and all of a sudden he wanted them and the [snakepit] record was already done. That set me off. What the f.ck is that? It turned into a bit of a fight." (Slash, Metal Edge, 10/95)

"Anyway, when I took off, we had an agreement, so we came to terms with the whole situation." (Slash, Canadian Radio, 04/20/95)

Edited by Indigo Child

I haven't made shit up..If you'd put down your Slash Kool Aid cup,you'd obviously see where I wrote I THINK,and TO ME.never said I was stating facts...Heard that Slash's Snakepit album and thought it sucked ass..no wonder Axl didn't want to use the songs..yes,he went on to Velvet Revolver,and if I recall correctly,couldn't get along with that singer either....

I'm not being a hater,i actually like Slash..Just not a fan of his Snakepit albums and not much into his solo one.....and you keep mentioning Gilby and Matt.....Gilby and Matt were never really considered a part of Guns & Roses IN MY OPINION....so just as you tell me to stop being a hater,I'd like to tell you to get off Slash's dick....I'm sure he is just as much to blame as you say Axl is for the demise of the original Guns..........

Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, Alan Niven all tell the same tale of Axl becoming a meglomaniac and wanting complete control of the band. Slash, Izzy, Duff, Gilby and Matt have at one time or other commented about how they hated it when Axl went on stage late and Slash and Izzy both gave it as one of the reasons they quit GnR......And you know who corraborates Axl's version of the events? nobody just Axl....I posted close to 80 articles and interviews with the above individuals where they give their side of the story. If you refuse to take the time to read the articles or chose to discount their versions and believe that Axl's is the only true version of what happened that is your right but I chose to believe the many who were there and lived the events over the one who has nobody backing his side of the story............

Kudos for all those interviews. Without reading any of them, i'm crossing out Alan Niven - he wasn't part of the band. Steven - when exactly again was he thrown out because of all his problems? Before the illusions came out, that's right. This is well before Axl and Slash were still 'brothers'. Back then, was there really anyone jumping up and down yelling "BRING BACK ADLER"???. Izzy - wasn't he the one who left because he didn't want to tour with a few members of the band who weren't really sober? Now, in all these revisionist versions of history, it's suddenly all about Axl being late.Gilby - I don't know how to touch this one without upsetting any classic lineup purists who might be 'offended' by bringing him into this discussion. Same goes for Matt too. Okay, so the high minded and democratically inclined Slash walks out because he hates the fact that Axl gets on stage late and of course, the megalomania - only, whose megalomania, is the question here. Shut up and sing , didn't we hear that too? At the least, this is a toss up. Duff quits last and for whatever real reasons, only he knows - reading his recent comments about him pondering his role in how events went down, makes me wonder...

Anyhow, linking this whole series of events back to "megalomania" and refusing to go on stage on time is kind of deluded if you ask me. But, it's your choice to make how you view the events as they unfolded and how you stitch them together. In the land of the blind, the one eyed man supposedly gets to be king, but that's not the way it works is it? They lynch him instead.

Edited by The Archer

Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, Alan Niven all tell the same tale of Axl becoming a meglomaniac and wanting complete control of the band. Slash, Izzy, Duff, Gilby and Matt have at one time or other commented about how they hated it when Axl went on stage late and Slash and Izzy both gave it as one of the reasons they quit GnR......And you know who corraborates Axl's version of the events? nobody just Axl....I posted close to 80 articles and interviews with the above individuals where they give their side of the story. If you refuse to take the time to read the articles or chose to discount their versions and believe that Axl's is the only true version of what happened that is your right but I chose to believe the many who were there and lived the events over the one who has nobody backing his side of the story............

Kudos for all those interviews. Without reading any of them, i'm crossing out Alan Niven - he wasn't part of the band. Steven - when exactly again was he thrown out because of all his problems? Before the illusions came out, that's right. This is well before Axl and Slash were still 'brothers'. Back then, was there really anyone jumping up and down yelling "BRING BACK ADLER"???. Izzy - wasn't he the one who left because he didn't want to tour with a few members of the band who weren't really sober? Now, in all these revisionist versions of history, it's suddenly all about Axl being late.Gilby - I don't know how to touch this one without upsetting any classic lineup purists who might be 'offended' by bringing him into this discussion. Same goes for Matt too. Okay, so Slash walks out because of megalomania - only, whose megalomania, is the question here. Shut up and sing , didn't we hear that too? That's a toss up. Duff quit after that and for whatever real reasons, only he knows - reading his recent comments about him pondering his role in how events went down, makes me wonder...

Anyhow, linking this whole series of events back to "megalomania" and refusing to go on stage on time is kind of deluded if you ask me. But, it's your choice to make how you view the events as they unfolded and how you stitch them together. In the land of the blind, the one eyed man supposedly gets to be king, but that's not the way it works is it? They lynch him instead.

Thanks....couldn't have said it better......

Indigo,how'd you come up with all those quotes so quick?Excellent researching on your part...gives you sides from every story...and after reading all,I still take Axl's....the most eye opening one for me was this.....K!: How come?

G: Well, it's an Axl thing. He just wasn't into what we were doing, so he's kind of rethinking what he wants to do. He just kind of threw a wrench into everything that me, Slash and Matt had worked to. And then Duff came in. Duff and Axl have an idea what the album should be, and the rest of us have another idea." (Gilby, Kerrang, 05/24/94)........That sums it all up for me.....

Indigo,how'd you come up with all those quotes so quick?Excellent researching on your part...gives you sides from every story...and after reading all,I still take Axl's....the most eye opening one for me was this.....K!: How come?

G: Well, it's an Axl thing. He just wasn't into what we were doing, so he's kind of rethinking what he wants to do. He just kind of threw a wrench into everything that me, Slash and Matt had worked to. And then Duff came in. Duff and Axl have an idea what the album should be, and the rest of us have another idea." (Gilby, Kerrang, 05/24/94)........That sums it all up for me.....

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3270

You can read the whole history of the break up and the recording of CD here.

Kudos for all those interviews. Without reading any of them, i'm crossing out Alan Niven - he wasn't part of the band. Steven - when exactly again was he thrown out because of all his problems? Before the illusions came out, that's right. This is well before Axl and Slash were still 'brothers'. Back then, was there really anyone jumping up and down yelling "BRING BACK ADLER"???. Izzy - wasn't he the one who left because he didn't want to tour with a few members of the band who weren't really sober? Now, in all these revisionist versions of history, it's suddenly all about Axl being late.Gilby - I don't know how to touch this one without upsetting any classic lineup purists who might be 'offended' by bringing him into this discussion. Same goes for Matt too. Okay, so Slash walks out because of megalomania - only, whose megalomania, is the question here. Shut up and sing , didn't we hear that too? That's a toss up. Duff quit after that and for whatever real reasons, only he knows - reading his recent comments about him pondering his role in how events went down, makes me wonder...

Thanks....couldn't have said it better......

Yeah, the American Idol bit was a classic example of doublespeak.

Edited by The Archer

Kudos for all those interviews. Without reading any of them, i'm crossing out Alan Niven - he wasn't part of the band. Steven - when exactly again was he thrown out because of all his problems? Before the illusions came out, that's right. This is well before Axl and Slash were still 'brothers'. Back then, was there really anyone jumping up and down yelling "BRING BACK ADLER"???. Izzy - wasn't he the one who left because he didn't want to tour with a few members of the band who weren't really sober? Now, in all these revisionist versions of history, it's suddenly all about Axl being late.Gilby - I don't know how to touch this one without upsetting any classic lineup purists who might be 'offended' by bringing him into this discussion. Same goes for Matt too. Okay, so the high minded and democratically inclined Slash walks out because he hates the fact that Axl gets on stage late and of course, the megalomania - only, whose megalomania, is the question here. Shut up and sing , didn't we hear that too? At the least, this is a toss up. Duff quits last and for whatever real reasons, only he knows - reading his recent comments about him pondering his role in how events went down, makes me wonder...

You chose not to read Slash's book or the interview articles I can't help you as what went down is all there in the interviews. And you are wrong about why Izzy left. In this Rolling Stone interview he clearly states he left because of Axl's chronic lateness and Axl wanted him to sign a contract which diminished his role in the band and lowered his percentage....You write very well but you don't have the facts to back up what you say as you refuse to believe anything which goes against Axl's party line...read the atricles and learn the truth as it will set you free............

http://www.4shared.com/document/p145A3FY/Izzy_Quits_GnR.html?

In fairness, Izzy wasn't acting committed to Guns at that point. He missed out on the later UYI recording sessions, causing Slash to have to ''double up'' for him. Slash himself claimed Izzy doesn't even really play on half the album. And he began to travel separately from the rest of the band, and also failed to attend the mixing sessions of the UYIs as well, which caused his guitar on most of the songs that weren't purely his to be nearly drowned out.

As it was, most of Axl's bold decisions or what seemed to be crazy ideas--For example, One in a Million, or Sweet Child O'Mine (which Slash hated for the longest time), or November Rain, all brought the band attention or success.

Edited by Indigo Child

You chose not to read Slash's book or the interview articles I can't help you as what went down is all there in the interviews. And you are wrong about why Izzy left. In this Rolling Stone interview he clearly states he left because of Axl's chronic lateness and Axl wanted him to sign a contract which diminished his role in the band and lowered his percentage....You write very well but you don't have the facts to back up what you say as you refuse to believe anything which goes against Axl's party line...read the atricles and learn the truth as it will set you free............

Nice read - but isnt this before he comes back to Guns to fill in for Gilby when he broke his wrist?

That sort of beats the whole point of quitting the band for the reasons behind the estrangement, doesn't it?

Also, this interview doesn't mention anything about lowering percentages (if you are referring to money and not influence in decision making)

But, out of various other reasons only hinted at in the interview, the one that's highlighted is that of the band going on late. It isn't clear if that emphasis in the article, is from the magazine - it wouldn't be too difficult to believe that, considering that the going late issue is still every reviewer's favorite grudge against Gn'R.

If however, you do assume that the going late bit was the deal breaker for Izzy, it would be interesting to know how many times on the UYI tour in which he filled in for Gilby and again when he did guest appearances in 2006, the band was late and Izzy still played.

Edited by The Archer

Nice read - but isnt this before he comes back to Guns to fill in for Gilby when he broke his wrist?

That sort of beats the whole point of quitting the band for the reasons behind the estrangement, doesn't it?

Also, this interview doesn't mention anything about lowering percentages (if you are referring to money and not influence in decision making)

But, out of various other reasons only hinted at in the interview, the one that's highlighted is that of the band going on late. It isn't clear if that emphasis in the article, is from the magazine - it wouldn't be too difficult to believe that, considering that the going late issue is still every reviewer's favorite grudge against Gn'R.

If however, you do assume that the going late bit was the deal breaker for Izzy, it would be interesting to know how many times on the UYI tour in which he filled in for Gilby and again when he did guest appearances in 2006, the band was late and Izzy still played.

Izzy rejoining them was purely for Izzy to get money--Royalties or something I believe he felt he was owed. It wasn't an act of helping the band out so much as it was, "Fine--I'll help you guys out (reluctantly), but I'll also get what I feel is mine."

Both Axl and Slash were pissed for some time at Izzy over this, because they felt blackmailed. If Izzy really had liked things in GN'R, he would've come back in '93. I'm sure Axl would've welcomed him back with open arms and showed Gilby the door the same day--But Izzy didn't want to come back.

Izzy however DID come back--as a studio Gunner-- in 1995 to help write the ''next'' album that sadly is still in the vaults somewhere. He and Duff wrote and recorded something like ten songs in the space of a week or two in April 1995, and as of July 1995 according to Slash he was still helping out in the studio with writing, but Slash made it clear in that same July 1995 interview that Izzy would NOT tour with Guns if they were to tour--He only wanted to help in the studio.

'Long gone rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin was also reintroduced to the fold.

"In April, 1995, Duff calls me again: 'I'm trying to compose new songs for the guys in GN'R. Come and give me a hand.' It made five and that I'd left Guns but I said myself: 'Well shit, after all, why not?' Duff and I wrote ten pieces in the space of week. We even recorded them as demos." (French Izzy interview, 2001)

In the same month, on 04/27/95, Izzy also appeared onstage with Slash's Snakepit in The Metro in Chicago.

"Once in 1995, I went to ring the doorbell at [Axl's] place, and he opened the door. (Izzy, Hard Rock, 07/01)

"And I go up and he's got security gates, cameras, walls, all this shit, you know. So I'm ringing the buzzers, and eventually somebody comes and takes me up and there he is. He's like, 'Hey, man! Glad to see you!' Gives me a big hug and shows me round his house. It was great.

Then, I don't know, probably a month later, one night he calls me [and] we got into the issue of me leaving Guns N' Roses. I told him how it was on my side. Told him exactly how I felt about it and why I left. [...] But, I mean he had a fucking notepad. I could hear him [turning the pages] going, 'Well, ah, you said in 1982... blah, blah, blah...' And I'm like, what the fuck - 1982? He was bringing up a lot of really weird old shit. I'm like, whatever, man. But that's the last time I talked to him. (Izzy, Classic Rock, 2001)

"F: There's rumors about Izzy getting back...

S: Izzy agrees with writing stuff but he's not interested in touring... He doesn't want to deal with Axl y'know? The Rockstar thing... Like me, he just wanna play... We never thought GNR would become so big..." (Slash, Sao Paulo Journal, 07/21/95)

Edited by Indigo Child

From those quotes it seems Slash won't do Axls songs, whereas Axl would eventually do the Snakepit stuff. Not having izzy to contribute a Brownstone, patience, you could be mine must have been a problem.

That's point--Slash wouldn't do Axl's material and even mocked it openly while still in the band as "Stephanie Seymour ballads", yet he expected Axl to do his--and Axl was open to it!

Slash may seem nice but I think he's a bit of a passive aggressive type, and manipulative.