Anybody else think that the late start times are a part of what makes GNR shows so special?

ITW 2012

Special in a bad way. The late thing only resuts in good portions of the crowd being too tired to sing along, scream, dance or just clap their hands.

That just makes it easier for you to snake your way up front.

It seems like some people on here have never listened to My World.

Edited by ITW 2012

its definitely a good part of the gnr experience, but i feel bad for the band and wonder why axl doesnt mind paying the late fees for going over his time slots, how does the band make any money this way?

The band is on salary. If you had the power to work the exact hours of your choosing wouldn't you consider it? I'm surprised more Rock Stars don't do this.

I've come to accept the late starts for what they are. Axl Rose is an artist. Art isn't about pleasing people it's about expression. If Axl's "thing" is that he needs that time, for whatever reason, then that's his "thing", that's a part of his performance as an artist. Love it, hate it...it doesn't really matter to me. If you go to a Guns N Roses show, that's what you're buying into. You don't buy a fucking Nissan Vista and expect to do 0-60 in 3 seconds. You know what you're getting when you spend your money on a ticket. I'm not approving or disproving of it, but it is what it is and if I buy a ticket to see Axl perform, I damn well know what to expect and you won't see me bitching about it.

I think alot of fans would be alright with it if the doors opened later too. I certainly don't have a problem with them starting late but having to wait 90 minutes after a support act for them is tiresome, and drinks at a venue are fucking outrageously priced.

Just show up to the venue late. If I'm going to see GNR I don't show up to the arena until around 10 pm. My only complaint about the late starts is when the venues cut off liquor sales early. Now that is just wrong!

I wanted to see Bach too...

Right before his Toronto show in January of this year I had planned the following day off of work. It was a bonus as I was put on a salary rather than hourly the week before. Nothing wrong with getting paid to sleep off a night of GNR.

Besides who shows up before 9:30 anyways? Unless you want to see BAZ....Thats the only reason for coming early.

I think it's bad for a band playing arena gigs to go on late, if they want to go on at 1-2AM, play a Vegas residency. It's a short ride away from home base, they could make a lot of money, and when they go on wouldn't be an issue. If they're playing a festival, lateness usually isn't a big issue if it's Fri/Sat night. People are ready to pack it in Sunday night though.

There's no justifying the lateness, except with core fans who expect it. Most of the audience doesn't expect it because they're used to shows going on at 9-9:30. They've either never seen them live, or figured that they've stopped doing that years ago.

I agree that the late starts effect the show in a positive way granted the longer the audience has to wait the more restless they become but as soon as the lights go out there's that feeling of relief and euphoria.

A friend of mine who went with me to the Manchester show spoke to a lady who had been to all of the UK dates and she mentioned to him that "Axl has a bed backstage and sleeps before a show and he musn't be disturbed." I laughed that off.

Hearing boos turn to cheers is satisfying.

Edited by ChineseDemocracy2004

I understand Axl and the band wanting to give the best performance possible. If you are at a GnR show, those are your plans for the night. Late starts are the least of my worries and I don't buy into the whole 'building up momentum thing' while I just think Axl needs to be in the right state of mind so that he can go out there and do his best.

Standing around waiting for a band to come on stage fucking blows. Especially when its an hour plus.

well, its pretty much established that a GnR show can start at any time after the time on the ticket. You know this, so its either worth to you to go, or not.

With Axl sounding as great as he has lately, and the band performing as tight as ever, I'll take the wait.

its hard for normal people to comprehend but ive been in phases where waking up at 8pm felt about as reasonable as 3am.

Night person here, been working nightshifts all my life, suffering from sleeping disorders and its effects whenever I'm forced into a day schedule, so I understand all the personal, social and time mangement problems that come with this just perfectly. For everyone else you are an alien and they are like "look, that fucker is sleeping all day while we are working" but they don't see you working all night while they are sleeping. It is what it is, no point educating people about it, but when you've got to get your shit together you've got to get your shit together.

Same here.

Goin' to bed too early is almost impossible for me. Nightshifts are the best, the tough part is being able to keep working next morning... :sleeper: