Ashba about next album: "We're talking about that right now"

Azazel

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His comment that he's excited to get things rolling implies that they haven't even started yet.

They should release the unreleased chinese democracy songs while they are making a new album.

There's no doubt in my mind that if they start to make an album now it will take them years to finish it.

what about the CD era shit that we havent heard? is that going to be there? going to be really disappointing if it isn't.

AGREED, I want to hear more songs from that era, than something that is quickly written/recorded and pumped out by the current band

whats even more concerning is the tendency for newer members to rerecord certain parts of past members contributions, i certainly don't want ashba's take on a bucket solo, or ANYONE for that matter, redoing bucket's parts. the guy provides the highlights of CD, hes untouchable.

Yeah totally, I want Buckets parts completely untouched, and if possible, I want alot of the songs that he helped create, to just be left completely alone as if Ashba/bumble/fortus re records anything, it will completely miss the mark of anything that Bucket could come up with.

whats even more concerning is the tendency for newer members to rerecord certain parts of past members contributions, i certainly don't want ashba's take on a bucket solo, or ANYONE for that matter, redoing bucket's parts. the guy provides the highlights of CD, hes untouchable.

Ashba wouldn't be able to re-create/rerecord a Bucket solo, neither would Fortus. Ron probably to it though, as Bucket's work on Chidem is not his most complex. I really don't think we are going to get an album of all new material. This I Love was written all the way back in 1993 and it still made Chinese Democracy I. Most of the songs off Chidem were written/recorded before 2002. Back in 2006 Axl said something like "26 songs out of 32 are done", which is almost another album right there. Axl doing vocals/lyrics for songs takes long enough. Do you guys really think he is going to do that all over AGAIN when he already has 90% finished material?

On topic, this is good stuff. I dunno whether it was because of our "update" thread(i hope it was), but its good. Ashba is the new Guns spokesperson. Axl really seems to bond with him, there was even pics of Ashba with Axl at Axl's house.

Yeah totally, I want Buckets parts completely untouched, and if possible, I want alot of the songs that he helped create, to just be left completely alone as if Ashba/bumble/fortus re records anything, it will completely miss the mark of anything that Bucket could come up with.

lets hope axl still appreciates bucket's talent, although its going to be harder to justify keeping his parts on the songs(assuming he releases the CD era material and not a brand new batch) than it was on the CD songs.

Ashba wouldn't be able to re-create/rerecord a Bucket solo, neither would Fortus. Ron probably to it though, as Bucket's work on Chidem is not his most complex. I really don't think we are going to get an album of all new material. This I Love was written all the way back in 1993 and it still made Chinese Democracy I. Most of the songs off Chidem were written/recorded before 2002. Back in 2006 Axl said something like "26 songs out of 32 are done", which is almost another album right there. Axl doing vocals/lyrics for songs takes long enough. Do you guys really think he is going to do that all over AGAIN when he already has 90% finished material?

On topic, this is good stuff. I dunno whether it was because of our "update" thread(i hope it was), but its good. Ashba is the new Guns spokesperson. Axl really seems to bond with him, there was even pics of Ashba with Axl at Axl's house.

ture, but axl is nothing if not irrational. Edited by Atlas Shrugged

what about the CD era shit that we havent heard? is that going to be there? going to be really disappointing if it isn't.

AGREED, I want to hear more songs from that era, than something that is quickly written/recorded and pumped out by the current band

I want to hear it as much as you but come on, CD fell flat. The whole avant-garde style of music really had no shot at being successful and I would rather Guns N Roses be relevant and successful then not. What they need is palpable music. You don't have to "sell out" to make music that people will enjoy. I think Darren's capable of bringing a much more palpable, melodically conscious sound to this band and I for one, would like to hear it.

Plus, as I've said a billion times, CD era music is ancient. None of it will sound relevant or BE relevant. I say release that shit via itunes under the name "CD sessions" or something and write an entirely new record with the new band and release it fresh.

I want to hear it as much as you but come on, CD fell flat. The whole avant-garde style of music really had no shot at being successful and I would rather Guns N Roses be relevant and successful then not. What they need is palpable music. You don't have to "sell out" to make music that people will enjoy. I think Darren's capable of bringing a much more palpable, melodically conscious sound to this band and I for one, would like to hear it.

Plus, as I've said a billion times, CD era music is ancient. None of it will sound relevant or BE relevant. I say release that shit via itunes under the name "CD sessions" or something and write an entirely new record with the new band and release it fresh.

So to make music that most people will enjoy, the band has to ditch the avant-garde sound they want/have. That sounds like they are making music just for the people and thats lame, thats Lady Gaga shit. Thats what selling out is, when you compromise the music you make just to reach a wider audience. Go listen to AC/DC, thats ancient sounding yet still sales millions, your theory is flawed.

So to make music that most people will enjoy, the band has to ditch the avant-garde sound they want/have. That sounds like they are making music just for the people and thats lame, thats Lady Gaga shit. Thats what selling out is, when you compromise the music you make just to reach a wider audience. Go listen to AC/DC, thats ancient sounding yet still sales millions, your theory is flawed.

The AC/DC example is flawed in the sense that they've been releasing the same album over and over again. They stuck to their style because it WORKS for them. Just as the general public craves that signature AC/DC sound, they also crave the raw sound of Guns N' Roses.

I get what you were getting at in your response to the original "ancient" comment, but I think it's different here. The stuff from the Chinese sessions is ancient in the sense that it was written and recorded by a line-up different from the current one and had sounds reflecting the time period and that era of the band. Why rehash that at this point when the current line-up could write a killer new record that could reshape and redefine Guns N' Roses for the current generation? Redefining the band and making Guns N' Roses relevant to the current generation of music goers does NOT mean the band has to sell out. They just need something fresh. Releasing more music from the Chinese Democracy sessions - much of which was recorded 10 years ago - isn't going to do that.

I, like most fans, would certainly love to hear the rest of the Chinese Democracy sessions at some point. I just think releasing the songs as the next consecutive albums is the wrong idea. Release a new fresh album with the current line-up, and give the diehards a box-set or something like that with the remainder of the Chinese Democracy material because, even though it sucks (especially as I loved the album) the general public could care less about more music from those sessions.

I think most of the material on the album should be new and fresh, with only a few song from the chinese democracy sessions. This is a different lineup than the band that played on chinese democracy, so I would expect them to write new songs. Plus the current lineup is imo the best incarnation of gnr since the early ninties so hearing some new tunes from this lineup would be fantastic.

The AC/DC example is flawed in the sense that they've been releasing the same album over and over again. They stuck to their style because it WORKS for them. Just as the general public craves that signature AC/DC sound, they also crave the raw sound of Guns N' Roses.

I get what you were getting at in your response to the original "ancient" comment, but I think it's different here. The stuff from the Chinese sessions is ancient in the sense that it was written and recorded by a line-up different from the current one and had sounds reflecting the time period and that era of the band. Why rehash that at this point when the current line-up could write a killer new record that could reshape and redefine Guns N' Roses for the current generation? Redefining the band and making Guns N' Roses relevant to the current generation of music goers does NOT mean the band has to sell out. They just need something fresh. Releasing more music from the Chinese Democracy sessions - much of which was recorded 10 years ago - isn't going to do that.

I, like most fans, would certainly love to hear the rest of the Chinese Democracy sessions at some point. I just think releasing the songs as the next consecutive albums is the wrong idea. Release a new fresh album with the current line-up, and give the diehards a box-set or something like that with the remainder of the Chinese Democracy material because, even though it sucks (especially as I loved the album) the general public could care less about more music from those sessions.

I see what you mean, you make good posts.

I really don't think the "sound" of Chidem was dated at all.. Quite possibly the title track back in 2001(Rock in Rio) when it didn't have the dirty rhythm guitar and was more industrial would have been dated if it were released like that now, but songs like SOD, TIL, Prostitute, Better, Shacklers, Sorry etc sound very modern in my opinion, very fresh. I think this was the sound that was meant to "redefine" the band but didn't due to lack of promotion and Axl's involvement.

No one in the general public will embrace this current line up just like the previous 2002 line up. Sure they are great players, but you have two faceless(not literally) keyboard players, 2 guitarists and a bassist who look like Izzy, one guitarist that looks like Slash. They would have been more noticed if Bucket was still in the band. But now they are either faceless or look-alikes of the original members. Its like the general public embracing Slipknot almost. Even Megadeth, who has had something like over 20 different lead guitarists, bassists and drummers come and go, are embraced more then any incarnation of Guns post 1996, because they have different personalities and actually show it in interviews and guitar magazines etc.

Chidem was meant to redefine the band, that's what everyone on the forums was saying before its release, that Guns will really take off once the album is out. Now that it didn't people are saying the same thing about the next record, the cycle begins again. You still have a guitar virtuoso shredder, 2 keyboardists, a bluesy/rock guitar player and the same bassist and Axl. The sound won't be that much removed from the 2001 lineup.

Another reason they couldn't do it is monetary. We know there are near-completed songs dating from the Bucket/Robin era. The label would be very hesitant to fund more money to record new stuff when there are completed songs already done, especially after Axl's total detachment during the whole countdown and release of the last album

Either way, i'd be happy with ANY new material from Guns. I just want to hear the rest of the Bucket/Robin sessions some day, that was an awesome combo. This is all just my opinion.

Recording something totally new or using some of the good shit Axl has up his sleeve? Positive message none the less. Hurray!

This is the question...

New stuff would be great but hearing more from the chi dem sessions is what it's all about for me!

I'm pretty sure that we could get both if they wanted. Axl has his material, dj can redo some parts, add something, even do a new song. I don't see any problems, if anything the way they are working in this dexterous mosaic style means that anything can be done.