Why was DJ chosen as the lead guitarist of GnR?

Guest Gunns

Does anyone else think that either Richard or Ron should of been made lead guitarist instead, seeing as they have been in the band longer, and are also more than capable of playing the role .4tus has great stage presence and would make a great lead guitarist, and so does Ron and nails every part thats given to him (more so than the other 2).

Do you think Ron or 4tus were asked before hand if they wanted lead before offering it to DJ, or was DJ automatically given the title as he is replacing a lead (Finck)?

I just feel that the other 2 guitarists would feel a little 'jipped' if after being in a band for 4 years, or basically 10 in 4tus's case, a guitarist comes in and is now the face of the band after Axl.

No disrespect to DJ, hes a great addition, I just wonder about the dynamics between the 3 guitarists, and how they all converse with each other without a 'hierarchy of communication' being thrust upon them by each other as to who plays what, who stands where and who gets to make the decisions on the gutiar side of business.

Must be a fine balancing act to keep a constant harmony as only 4 years ago, Ron was just finding his feet.

That's an interesting thread.

My opinion is that Richard is a superior guitarist BUT his style is a bit too "common" as in : since he has played sessions for everybody, from the Crystal Method to Puddle of Mud, toured with Ozzy Osbourne and Guns n' Roses, and recorded with Britney Spears and N'Sync, he can play pretty much whatever without imposing his style upon the original material.

4tus is a fantastic guitarist but I would have a lot of trouble recognizing him among other guitarists. Make me listen to Fortus and then another guy with similar technique, like Justin Derrico and I wouldn't be able to tell who is who...

DJ Ashba, is a great performer, just like Richard ( both are very entertaining to watch live ), and even though he's not quite as good, he has a style that is easily recognizable : blues rock with a few distinctive licks mixed with tapping.

^ you forgot Ron there mate lol,

Its just interesting to me how the 3 all settle into their place both on stage, and when the time comes, in the studio.

Each of them obviously want their their own time to shine, but one has to be at the forefront of the music ,and DJ is the lucky one.

Well, I wouldn't mind an Axl + 4tus + BBF team, but unless Ron significantly changes his lead guitar style, an album written by those guys would sound even less like classic Guns than Chinese did because even his most "straight-rock" solo material ( Hermit and Normal ) does not really sound like blues-based rock...

DJ is the straight forward rocker of the band and he sits just fine in between 4tus the subtle and tasty rythm guitarist and Bumble the sick fuck :xmasssanta:

There's definitely one lead guitar player too many - but for the record I'd keep DJ onboard as he fits the best the style Slash used to have.

Sometimes I wonder if Axl chose to have all these guitar players just not to have a prominent lead guitar player (like Slash) once again...

Edited by trqster

There's definitely one lead guitar player too many - but for the record I'd keep DJ onboard as he fits the best the style Slash used to have.

Sometimes I wonder if Axl chose to have all these guitar players just not to have a prominent lead guitar player (like Slash) once again...

This question begs to have the obvious put to it...it takes two leads to replace the one. Whalla! now the pissing contest can be started..

Does anyone else think that either Richard or Ron should of been made lead guitarist instead, seeing as they have been in the band longer, and are also more than capable of playing the role .4tus has great stage presence and would make a great lead guitarist, and so does Ron and nails every part thats given to him (more so than the other 2).

Do you think Ron or 4tus were asked before hand if they wanted lead before offering it to DJ, or was DJ automatically given the title as he is replacing a lead (Finck)?

I just feel that the other 2 guitarists would feel a little 'jipped' if after being in a band for 4 years, or basically 10 in 4tus's case, a guitarist comes in and is now the face of the band after Axl.

No disrespect to DJ, hes a great addition, I just wonder about the dynamics between the 3 guitarists, and how they all converse with each other without a 'hierarchy of communication' being thrust upon them by each other as to who plays what, who stands where and who gets to make the decisions on the gutiar side of business.

Must be a fine balancing act to keep a constant harmony as only 4 years ago, Ron was just finding his feet.

That'd prolly work but you're saying that almost suggesting they should bring Izzy back...cuz that would slowly and surely start a reunion. Which is why Axl went for Dj if they promoted Richard from within theyd need a rhythym guitar player and izzys not coming back

That'd prolly work but you're saying that almost suggesting they should bring Izzy back...cuz that would slowly and surely start a reunion. Which is why Axl went for Dj if they promoted Richard from within theyd need a rhythym guitar player and izzys not coming back

I think DJ's presence is more as a producer/song writer than guitar player. JMO.