New Album - how much is REALLY left?

sascha

according to axl, cd is pretty much all there is.

i believe him.

personally, i really i believe axl spent the last 15 years messing around with the songs on cd.

Axl never said that. He did say he always saw Chinese Democracy as a double album and gave us the names of some of the unreleased material. Nice try.

when asked about unreleased tracks, axl said there wasn't really anything or not as much as we think.

something along those lines. seems to me if anyone should know, it would be him.

Bach said he heard 3 or 4 albums of material. Axl said there isn't as much as sebastian thought he heard, not us.

He also confirmed the work in progress titles of at least 11 songs. In 2006, he said there are 32 songs, 26 of them done.

Hope that helps clear things up for you.

i believe him.

personally, i really i believe axl spent the last 15 years messing around with the songs on cd.

Axl never said that. He did say he always saw Chinese Democracy as a double album and gave us the names of some of the unreleased material. Nice try.

when asked about unreleased tracks, axl said there wasn't really anything or not as much as we think.

something along those lines. seems to me if anyone should know, it would be him.

"there wasn't really anything" and "not as much as we think" are very different statements, and he only said one of them (of course you know this).

lol. I do?

I'm not going to look through the chats, for the exact quote, cause frankly I don't care as much you seem to; but I clearly remember axl giving off the impression that the numerous reports about tons of material was false.

i'll believe him over hired hands and best friends, and certainly over you.

It dont matter!!!!!!!!! None of this does . Bumblefoot said not for the foorseeable future. In GNR world that means at least two years minium. All signs point to Axl's focus being touring. i want a new album badly, but I will take a US tour in Feburary. At least bumblefoot didnt shoot that idea down. I think axl is just enjoying being on the road with the album out. He is just enjoying his life and he does not want to deal with another album anytime soon . It also a safe bet to assume he has no support from the label either.

Also, if there will be another album, would you rather have another “a little bit for everyone” type of record like CD is or a concept album (acoustic, doom metal only, ballads only or an instrumental album)? Would you like to see the band go more experimental and daring or going back to the roots and do more blues based stuff?

Just something. For example, I'd be happy with a dvd of this tour.

Of course, a new album it'd be great. What type of album? A bit of everything.

Here is what Axl told Del James regarding the next album:

When's the next album?

Have no idea and don't care. Hopefully, we'll be working 'Chinese' for a good bit. Of course there's the same idiots that have been around forever already demanding release dates.

How much material is there?

Not as much as Baz [sebastian Bach] thinks he heard! Really, it doesn't matter. If things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes.

Is anything finished?

Depends how you look at it.

How do you look at it?

Not something we've focused on.

You're not saying much.

You got that? What I can say is if you don't like this, then you probably won't like that. Same people, lots more approaches, bit meaner in places and darker in some. Robin does a really great Stevie Ray Vaughan-type solo on one track.

Here is what Axl told Del James regarding the next album:

When's the next album?

Have no idea and don't care. Hopefully, we'll be working 'Chinese' for a good bit. Of course there's the same idiots that have been around forever already demanding release dates.

How much material is there?

Not as much as Baz [sebastian Bach] thinks he heard! Really, it doesn't matter. If things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes.

Is anything finished?

How do you look at it?

You're not saying much.

You got that? What I can say is if you don't like this, then you probably won't like that. Same people, lots more approaches, bit meaner in places and darker in some. Robin does a really great Stevie Ray Vaughan-type solo on one track.

Yeah. Sounds like making another album is the furthest thing from Axl's mind. He can continue to milk AFD for the rest of his career.

For God's sake... This interview was done just a couple of months after the release of CD! Touring the album and finding a replacement for Robin would've been in Axl's mind at that point.

When have you heard a band talking about their next release in an interview promoting the current one??

He gave these answers almost two years ago, the apropriate time to bring up these things is approaching just now.

Only if Axl could give another interview! He could be the Rolling Stone cover with a phonecall.

Sure,and then he could be misquoted, misinterpreted, and this entire forum would go to town with their own interpretations of what was actually said,and what questions should have been asked, sounds like fun to me :rolleyes:

Yes of course he would release the leaked songs, he's not going to put them on the second album x amount of years later. The fact that those songs leaked, forced him to put them on the album. The only other option would've been to throw the songs away and not put them on any album, that obviously wasn't an option. The band got enough shit from the critics and the fan base for including the leaks on the album, what do you think would happen if say for example; they didn't include 'Better' on CD (it still leaked) and instead put it on the second album? The fact they released the leaks on CD, has no relevance or correspondence to how much material there is, or isn't, in the vault.

If he really has so many songs in the vault, why didn't he put at least one blow-it-all-out-of-the-water killer track on the album that wasn't leaked, something like TWAT or Prostitute? If he has so many songs it should have been easy to put a little cherry on top of the leaks but it all points to the best material had already been leaked. It was between releasing these on CD or never releasing them at all - because they were leaked. So it did have a huge effect on the tracklist, sequencing and concept of the album. For example, Axl himself said Catcher In The Rye was not supposed to be on CD.

Axl has never mentioned 'fragments', he was talking about songs... what the fuck is a 'fragment' of a song anyway: a note, a lick, a lyric? He was talking about songs.

When you write songs you always begin with fragments, especially when many people are involved. So you have this awesome riff but no lyric and you call it "Jackie Chan" because it sounds Kung Fu or you might have a nice poem that would make a good song lyric but there is no music for it yet, you end up calling it the "song" The General because it's about war and you want heavy music to it, you know? On CD there are only two or three songs with an actual verse-chorus-verse structure, the rest is all bits and pieces - fragments - some songs could be three or more songs really. So I think it's only fair to assume fragments are a huge factor in the writing process wich leads me to believe there are less actual songs than we thought. The vault might have 2000 amazing Buckethead solos but that does not mean actual songs exit.

Why is your opinion so negative... why would you assume he has any less material than he's claimed?

I'm not negative, I'm realistic. I would love to have five albums full of fresh music but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Is anything finished?

How do you look at it?

What the heck is that supposed to mean? "Not something we've focused on."

Is he saying they don't know if songs are finished? I thought in 2006 there were 26 finished songs.

Face it, no matter how many interviews are done, we won't ever truly know what is going on. I just hope that the new album, whenever it comes out, isn't as overproduced as Chi Dem was. Reading that Brain has worked on a remixed Chi Dem is intriguing. I hope it's a lot more stripped back than the version we have. If they can actually manage to release a few singles off the sophomore effort, I'm hoping some of the B-sides are remixed Chi Dem songs.

Edited by KBear

ill die a happy man if I hear a finished silkworms/oh my god/ soul monster/ the general/atlas shrugged

fuck any new stuff, i want those songs first and foremost.

Axl talked about 32 (I believe) A listed songs that they were working on back in an 06 Rolling Stone interview.

ill die a happy man if I hear a finished silkworms/oh my god/ soul monster/ the general/atlas shrugged

fuck any new stuff, i want those songs first and foremost.

We need those songs. Just think of all the threads that they'll enable us to start.

Edited by ITW 2012

Reunion

:rofl-lol:

Why get rid of the current members for inferior musicians???

Seriously it will take a good 3 years to tweak the material Axl has. DJ was right by stating we wont have to wait as long as Chinese Democracy.

If they are so talented, then why can none of them perform the opening to Jungle like Slash can :tongue2:

I just don't think they finalized a second record, but they have material. Axl must have some songs.

Axl said he considers Chinese Democracy to be a double album. I think that means it's possible they finished 30 songs and released the 14 we got.

It's similar to how things were done with UYI. 2 discs but it's really one double album. The only difference is we only got the first disc.

Edited by Rovim

Reunion

:rofl-lol:

Seriously it will take a good 3 years to tweak the material Axl has. DJ was right by stating we wont have to wait as long as Chinese Democracy.

If they are so talented, then why can none of them perform the opening to Jungle like Slash can :tongue2:

agreed

i believe him.

"there wasn't really anything" and "not as much as we think" are very different statements, and he only said one of them (of course you know this).

lol. I do?

I'm not going to look through the chats, for the exact quote, cause frankly I don't care as much you seem to; but I clearly remember axl giving off the impression that the numerous reports about tons of material was false.

i'll believe him over hired hands and best friends, and certainly over you.

All he said was there wasn't as much as Bach thought he heard, NOTHING ELSE. So as usual, you're full of shit.

I'm not negative, I'm realistic. I would love to have five albums full of fresh music but I don't see that happening any time soon.

You are not realistic at all... no one has claimed there is 'five albums' worth of material, but Axl has specifically mentioned that there is a second album... check out the Eddie Trunk interview. Your thread and argument is pointless, it's based on nothing but false assumptions from yourself.

Reunion

It's not all about technical ability. Whichever line-up you prefer (and your opinion is your own, we all differ), it's hard to deny that the Appetite Line-up had a lot more chemistry than future line-ups. I'm not arguing for a reunion or anything, I'm not particularly fussed about one, but it's not about who are the better individual musicians. If that were the case, we'd have Brain/Josh Freese and Buckethead back.

I agree, and it makes me laugh, and get annoyed when I see people say stuff like the original line up are "inferior musicians" to the new band. You're obviously not a musician, or have no capacity to understand what makes a great band, even though you're on a message board for one of the best. If you're main concern is having the most talented musicians, you might as well bring in Neil Pert, bring back Buckethead, get rid of Tommy Stinson and bring in Les Claypool, maybe turn the vocals into a quartet for more range...

Reunion

It's not all about technical ability. Whichever line-up you prefer (and your opinion is your own, we all differ), it's hard to deny that the Appetite Line-up had a lot more chemistry than future line-ups. I'm not arguing for a reunion or anything, I'm not particularly fussed about one, but it's not about who are the better individual musicians. If that were the case, we'd have Brain/Josh Freese and Buckethead back.

I agree, and it makes me laugh, and get annoyed when I see people say stuff like the original line up are "inferior musicians" to the new band. You're obviously not a musician, or have no capacity to understand what makes a great band, even though you're on a message board for one of the best. If you're main concern is having the most talented musicians, you might as well bring in Neil Pert, bring back Buckethead, get rid of Tommy Stinson and bring in Les Claypool, maybe turn the vocals into a quartet for more range...

I agree and agree again.