Sex Pistols & The Clash

duff_rose

Hey.

I have a school project about English 70's punk music, and I have to analyze some songs musically. Can you recomend some songs, which are interesting or characteristic in some ways?

I wrote Pistols and Clash because they are the only ones I will be able to get music books from, so that would be easiest for me to analyze. But if you know interesting songs from other 70's punk bands just post them anyway!

Thanks! :)

Guest Len B'stard

Nevermind the Bollocks is a great subject for that cuz some people call it a signpost to a cultural shift and a change in attitude. Crazy shit if you think about it.

You could analyse:

Your Generation - Generation X

Anarchy in the UK - Sex Pistols

White Riot - Clash

Oh Bondage Up Yours - X Ray Spex

Search & Destroy - Iggy and the Stooges

Sheena is a Punk Rocker - The Ramones.

Punks great for that cuz it was about the now so it had like a documentary thing for its time and they'll be easy for you to analyse cuz the informations everywhere, you can get books, DVDs, read wikipedia, it's all there. So write about it as a cultural phenomena and write about all the current affairs-ish songs and shit. Listen to The Clash, listen to Sandinista :lol:

Bodies...the topic of abortion,at that time,was taboo and utterly groundbreaking as far as lyric in a song is concerned.

Facing issues of social stigma calibre was part of the initial impact punk was speerheading.Bodies was shocking when it first came out....why??

Your topic is English punk?...the obvious lyric to discuss is I'm So Bored With The U.S.A.

That was a fucking gutsy lyric,and worth dissecting (in terms of a school paper).

What kind of project is this, and what about the songs are you trying to analyze, the lyrics or the music itself?

If you want a crash course on history of punk and the music, watch "Punk: Attitude", if you haven't. Also "The Future is Unwritten" and "Filth and the Fury".

Books: "Please Kill Me" and "England's Dreaming".

Also, if you're going to break down "Never Mind the Bollocks" find the "Classic Albums" DVD.

And it's been said before, you don't have to play like a speed demon to be punk rock. That was the Pistols' strength.

If you can get your hands on the "No Thanks" box set, that'll have some other songs that might be useful. I'd have to add Buzzcocks and The Damned in.