Happy 11th Anniversary Live Era '87-'93

Guest King Of Spades

Guest King Of Spades

I have seen the topics for TSI? and Chinese Democracy so I figured why leave this release out.

November 23, 1999 - Live Era '87-'93 is born. Even if a lot of the pieces were re-recorded it is a great album and I am glad to celebrate it's release.

Edited by King Of Spades

I have seen the topics for TSI? and Chinese Democracy so I figured why leave this release out.

November 23, 1999 - Live Era '87-'93 is born. Even if a lot of the pieces were re-recorded it is a great album and I am glad to celebrate it's release.

I'm a little intrigued here. Why have the last three releases by GNR been on 11/23? Does Axl have a fascination with the Fibonacci sequence? If this trend continues and since there was no album released today, do we have to wait until 2021 for the next one? It is one hell of a coincidence to be sure.

Guest King Of Spades

Yeah hopefully thats not true and the sequence in my head plays out and we get it in 2012 or sooner.

MAYAN PROPHECY STARTS NOW. Just kidding.

It was one of my favorites until I found out it was GNR's version of Kiss Alive. I'm not down with fake live albums.

That sounds really stupid. So you really liked it, found out you were tricked and felt like an idiot, and now you're depriving yourself. :rolleyes:

Better than their other Greatest Hits.

No, it's just....what's the point in owning a fake live album? To hear shittier studio versions of songs I already own?

It was one of my favorites until I found out it was GNR's version of Kiss Alive. I'm not down with fake live albums.

That sounds really stupid. So you really liked it, found out you were tricked and felt like an idiot, and now you're depriving yourself. :rolleyes:

No, it's just....what's the point in owning a fake live album? To hear shittier studio versions of songs I already own?

The point is you enjoyed it and then you didn't. The noise coming off the album made your ears tingle and they make mine too. I could give a shit if Axl re-recorded parts and such, still dig it and it's a good collection of songs, the best, from their catalog. Did you stop enjoying Christmas when you found out Santa was fake too?

Edited by AbominableHoman

The point is you enjoyed it and then you didn't. The noise coming off the album made your ears tingle and they make mine too. I could give a shit if Axl re-recorded parts and such, still dig it and it's a good collection of songs, the best, from their catalog. Did you stop enjoying Christmas when you found out Santa was fake too?

Are you saying Christmas is better after we find out he's fake? Cause it sure as hell wasn't as good to me.

Some great performances, but some weren't the best. And the re-done vocals does kill it a bit.

Anybody know exactly what songs had the vocals redone?

off the top of my head, not Dust N Bones, Your Crazy, Used to Love Her, Patience, Outta get Me, Yesterdays, some of KOHD? Dont Cry, Paradise City

Edited by dtjmf13

Are you saying Christmas is better after we find out he's fake? Cause it sure as hell wasn't as good to me.

Are you kidding, of course I enjoyed it more; are you telling me you still wished a obese old man watched you all year and then sneeked into your chimney at night to adorn you with gifts for being a good boy? You're probably too pissed at your parents because you found out they exposed your gullibility, as that seems to be the case with you.

It's a great collection of music, and I've introduced many people to Guns N' Roses with the albums. Some of the songs I enjoy much more, such as Estranged and Rocket Queen, than I do the originals.

Are you kidding, of course I enjoyed it more; are you telling me you still wished a obese old man watched you all year and then sneeked into your chimney at night to adorn you with gifts for being a good boy? You're probably too pissed at your parents because you found out they exposed your gullibility, as that seems to be the case with you.

It's a great collection of music, and I've introduced many people to Guns N' Roses with the albums. Some of the songs I enjoy much more, such as Estranged and Rocket Queen, than I do the originals.

You know, you can get your point across without insulting other people....just saying. And it IS a great collection of music, but the thing is, it's the same collection of music I already own, yet inferior. What, you honestly think hearing a half live, half studio version of SCOM, 1999 Mickey Mouse voice and all, is better then the one we have on AFD? Get the fuck out of here.

There is zero point in live Era existing imo. We all have the original boots which are actually..you know.."live". We all have the original records as well. There's no point in Live Era.

Edited by Nintari

The Live Era SCOM is terrible, but some of the other songs are great versions. Rocket Queen, Yesterdays, Used to Love Here, You're Crazy, Nightrain, and PTU are probably my favorite versions. I don't know what the fuck Axl was thinking releasing SCOM. It is brutal.

It's a shit, money making release with a guy who's so neurotic, he had to re-record "live" vocals in a studio - how embarassing. When I thought he couldn't out do himself, he shows up with the circus in '02. It's worse than TSI. You want a real bootleg, just download a high quality show from '93 and listen to that - Hartford, Milton Keynes, Argentina - they are all legendary shows.

It wasn't just Axl who rerecorded for the record, Slash and Duff did as well. And most any band/artist that puts out live albums. KISS Alive is nearly all pure studio recordings, Frampton Comes Alive, How the West was Won, The Who's Live at Leads, and on and on have over dubs or at the very least parts from different performances pasted onto songs.

The overdubbing shouldn't be the issue; the fact that the label/band didn't just pick out performances that didn't need touch ups when there were more than enough to choose from should be. But it really isn't much different than every picture you see in any kind of magazine (fashion, sports, celeb, gossip) will have pictures touched up in some way.

It wasn't just Axl who rerecorded for the record, Slash and Duff did as well. And most any band/artist that puts out live albums. KISS Alive is nearly all pure studio recordings, Frampton Comes Alive, How the West was Won, The Who's Live at Leads, and on and on have over dubs or at the very least parts from different performances pasted onto songs.

there's a BIG difference between studio re-dos of parts and simple splicing/editing of songs for time, as is the case with How The West Was Won, it's not like Plant can sound like he used to, and Bonham's dead. No re-recording there.

there's a BIG difference between studio re-dos of parts and simple splicing/editing of songs for time, as is the case with How The West Was Won, it's not like Plant can sound like he used to, and Bonham's dead. No re-recording there.

I personally don't like the idea of doing SHIT to a live recording other then maybe mixing it properly. I mean, if you ask me, these fuckers should be able to be sued by the consumer. It's down right lies. I don't see anywhere within the album notes that parts were re-recorded.