"Axl Rose Suing Guitar Hero Makers".

Chinese Destruction

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes him seem desperate,broke, and like he came up with the wttj riff actual song arrangements. Fair play if he's in the right, but could turn out to bite him in his huge ass.

None of that matters, he OWNS the rights to the name and what it is used for. Slash signed that over remember that! He is absolutely in his rights to go after this.

anyone who thinks he is broke is crazy, they have been touring for a year remember.

Edited by gunsguy

Legally, Axl may be 100% in the right. This still makes him look like an asshole though. Slash is always going tom be associated with WTTJ, and Guitar Hero was smart enough to know that practically no one would be waiting in line to play as DJ Ashba. Telling them they can't offer VR tracks as downloads makes him look even worse, as if he's afraid of the competition.

Yeah, pretty much. It's the fact that he singles out the whole Slash-imagery thing that makes it seem like sour grapes more than a case of real legal concern. You can't really control pop culture - no matter how long it's been since he was in the band, that's always the band Slash is gonna be known for to most people, and it just seems silly to me to attack that.

Slash LEFT the band on his own, now he is trying to cash in on it? How is that ok? I fail to see how you think it is ok at all. In fact Slash is the first one in recent memory to NOT discuss Guns in interviews, so as long as he can use it to make money it's ok then? That is the problem, either distance yourself or embrace it by getting the rights to use the song, you can't have it both ways.

It is wrong, Slash knew it, and the makers of the game knew they did not have the rights issue figured out and decided to release it anyway. They honestly don't give a fuck is the message here.

Slash has a writing credit on the song. He has rights to the song. He was in the music video for it. He plays on it. But now he's not allowed to be associated with it?

Technically speaking, Slash is only being associated with the song, which he has the right to do, but it just so happens that it's a GnR song. He's "indirectly" being associated with GnR.

I thought from the chats, that Axl was going to sue because he wasn't informed that the song was going to be on the game, and he didn't get paid for it. If he was suing over that, it would be fine, as that's money that is legally owed to him. But suing over "Slash's relation to GnR"? That's just dumb.

Legally, Axl may be 100% in the right. This still makes him look like an asshole though. Slash is always going tom be associated with WTTJ, and Guitar Hero was smart enough to know that practically no one would be waiting in line to play as DJ Ashba. Telling them they can't offer VR tracks as downloads makes him look even worse, as if he's afraid of the competition.

Yeah, pretty much. It's the fact that he singles out the whole Slash-imagery thing that makes it seem like sour grapes more than a case of real legal concern. You can't really control pop culture - no matter how long it's been since he was in the band, that's always the band Slash is gonna be known for to most people, and it just seems silly to me to attack that.

Slash LEFT the band on his own, now he is trying to cash in on it? How is that ok? I fail to see how you think it is ok at all. In fact Slash is the first one in recent memory to NOT discuss Guns in interviews, so as long as he can use it to make money it's ok then? That is the problem, either distance yourself or embrace it by getting the rights to use the song, you can't have it both ways.

It is wrong, Slash knew it, and the makers of the game knew they did not have the rights issue figured out and decided to release it anyway. They honestly don't give a fuck is the message here.

Slash has a writing credit on the song. He has rights to the song. He was in the music video for it. He plays on it. But now he's not allowed to be associated with it?

Technically speaking, Slash is only being associated with the song, which he has the right to do, but it just so happens that it's a GnR song. He's "indirectly" being associated with GnR.

I thought from the chats, that Axl was going to sue because he wasn't informed that the song was going to be on the game, and he didn't get paid for it. If he was suing over that, it would be fine, as that's money that is legally owed to him. But suing over "Slash's relation to GnR"? That's just dumb.

Slash can't go around making money with the message Slash from Guns N' Roses, he left! his association will always be remember surely but to use it to sell something? nope

Slash does not wanna talk Guns but wants to make $ of it still? that is fucking sad honestly, Slash proves once again that he will do anything for the $

Just because he left the band doesn't mean he doesn't still have the right to profit from his past works. Like I said, Axl may be legally in the right. That doesn't mean this is good for the way the public perceives him. Sure, Axl has the right to use the name GN'R. What he doesn't have the right to do is deny that anyone else ever made a contribution to their legacy. That is a seriously twisted revisionist view of history that few will swallow.

It's like, in the 90s everybody and their dog supposedly was suing GNR, now he wants to do the opposite, just sue everybody that even remotely looks at him sideways.

But if the issue is with the association the game had with Slash and the use of Slash in conjunction with the GNR track, why not sue Slash himself? Could it be because Slash has the right to profit from his own work, and if so, how valid is the case?

Somebody with lawyeration skills/experience must know...

Very simple. Slash didn't breach the contract, and Activision did. Therefore, Activision is in breach of contract, and can be sued.

Slash is free to pursue whatever business deals he likes. It's Activision who are responsible for living up to specific terms of the contracts they sign. If there's a specific clause that states the likeness of band members past or present cannot be used, and they then went out and used a likeness, even if licensed separately - if it was used in conjunction with the song, or they were marketed together, they would very likely be liable.

Basically, it sounds like Acitvision cut a deal for the song, then cut a second deal with Slash, which was in essence a breach of the first deal.

Hasn't Slash been trying to distance himself from Guns and establish his own name? Axl was trying to do the guy a favour :lol:

The last part of that document where it says the head of Activision met Axl and cried over what they did to Guns N' Roses and begged Axl to forgive him was incredibly wierd. If that's not an admission of guilt then I don't know what is.

Axl just wanted to distance the image of Slash away from the name Guns N' Roses because it impacts on the perception of the new band, I'm all for that.

Slash can't go around making money with the message Slash from Guns N' Roses, he left! his association will always be remember surely but to use it to sell something? nope

Slash does not wanna talk Guns but wants to make $ of it still? that is fucking sad honestly, Slash proves once again that he will do anything for the $

Did you not read my post? He was being associated with THE SONG. Which he has the right to do. It is a GnR song, but he's not on there going "Hey, I'm Slash from Guns N Roses"

He has the right to be associated with a song that he has a writing credit on, that he was on the music video for, that he was playing on etc.

Just because he left the band doesn't mean he doesn't still have the right to profit from his past works. Like I said, Axl may be legally in the right. That doesn't mean this is good for the way the public perceives him. Sure, Axl has the right to use the name GN'R. What he doesn't have the right to do is deny that anyone else ever made a contribution to their legacy. That is a seriously twisted revisionist view of history that few will swallow.

Slash is not the one being sued, so this should not be the issue really. He profits by way of a royalty check, and his cut of the license fees the old songs get, for example Welcome to the Jungle being used in the movie Megamind.

However, putting Slash all over the box of Guitar Hero and then playing up Welcome to the Jungle is a different story, and if Activision agreed that the use of the song not be combined with specific images or people, then they are at fault. Not Slash, per se, but Activision, yes. And one can clearly see why.

Feel like the dude should seriously spend less time in the courts and more time in the studio, but that's just my opinion.

Do you have any clue of how much time he spends/has spent in the studio? No. This is the kind of comments I'd hate if I were Axl. People assuming facts they have no idea about.

Now you can say you'd like him to release material more often, me too but that's a different story.

Understood, Slash absolutely has the right for $ on past works based on royalties, but not by bringing the past into the present and allowing activision to use it.

Axl does not want the public to percieve Slash in the band, fuck just the other day the guy on the youtube video of DJ Ashba playing national anthem the guy say something to the effect of, Slash is the lead guitar player in Guns N' Roses!

Public perception is the old band is still together for the most part. I can see Axl's point when it comes to that and trying to move forward.

Makes him seem desperate,broke, and like he came up with the wttj riff actual song arrangements.

I've already alluded to the massive power struggle which occurred in terms of ownership of the GN'R brand. It is public knowledge that it was Axl who obtained that much sought after ownership. Therefore why should Axl compromise his categorical ownership of "brand Guns N' Roses" to facilitate the agenda of former members? Say for example Slash enjoyed the rights to brand GN'R, would he accept Axl promoting his own work (in an international gaming franchise) through the use of his association with a concept Slash owns? Absolutely not.

Edited by Chinese Destruction

Just read it. Seems a waste of time to me.

I find it interesting that Axl would only license the song if activision did not include any images of NU-Guns and old Guns.

That doesn't seem to fit with the argument about wanting to create a brand identity for Nu-Guns.

Slash the image, Guns N' Roses the band and the song "Welcome To The Jungle" sold that game, period. I fucking bought it too! I hope Axl wins this suit for the point of honesty or lack ther of on activisions part

SO who here owns the game?

Understood, Slash absolutely has the right for $ on past works based on royalties, but not by bringing the past into the present and allowing activision to use it.

Axl does not want the public to percieve Slash in the band, fuck just the other day the guy on the youtube video of DJ Ashba playing national anthem the guy say something to the effect of, Slash is the lead guitar player in Guns N' Roses!

Public perception is the old band is still together for the most part. I can see Axl's point when it comes to that and trying to move forward.

Slash was in the band when the song was written. That's what matters here. I don't see Guitar Hero scrambling to include CD material, simply because they would not profit from it as greatly-witness the inclusion of SR in Rock Band and the fact no one cared. So yeah, legally they may have made a bad move-which I did not deny. Axl might win the suit, but he walks away looking like an asshole. Simple as that.

I find it interesting that Axl would only license the song if activision did not include any images of NU-Guns and old Guns.

That doesn't seem to fit with the argument about wanting to create a brand identity for Nu-Guns.

using images of new Guns while Slash is all over every box and advert? I can totally see how that could be an issue you don't?

fuck you axl and everyone on his balls. as much as i love axl and his talent i cant defend how big of an asshole he is. just because slash left the band doesnt mean he should leave behind all of HIS music. its HIS as it is also axl's. i honestly think axl thinks he is the only thing that has ever mattered in GNR throughout history. like it or not appetite, lies, UYI, and chidem had many, many writers and contributers other than him. who cares if slash wanted to use it for money? he helped write the damn thing. if axl can put songs in movies and games then slash should too. legally axl might be "right," morally hes a complete prick. and to do this years after the fact? what the hell? just my 2 cents.

using images of new Guns while Slash is all over every box and advert? I can totally see how that could be an issue you don't?

Maybe I read it wrong? I read it as saying Axl didn't want images of the new band to be included even if images of slash were excluded.

I can understand why Axl didn't want pictures of slash. I can't understand why he didn't want images of the new band.