"Axl Rose Suing Guitar Hero Makers".

Chinese Destruction

Legally, Axl may be 100% in the right. This still makes him look like an asshole though. Slash is always going tom be associated with WTTJ, and Guitar Hero was smart enough to know that practically no one would be waiting in line to play as DJ Ashba. Telling them they can't offer VR tracks as downloads makes him look even worse, as if he's afraid of the competition.

Yeah, pretty much. It's the fact that he singles out the whole Slash-imagery thing that makes it seem like sour grapes more than a case of real legal concern. You can't really control pop culture - no matter how long it's been since he was in the band, that's always the band Slash is gonna be known for to most people, and it just seems silly to me to attack that.

Slash LEFT the band on his own, now he is trying to cash in on it? How is that ok? I fail to see how you think it is ok at all. In fact Slash is the first one in recent memory to NOT discuss Guns in interviews, so as long as he can use it to make money it's ok then? That is the problem, either distance yourself or embrace it by getting the rights to use the song, you can't have it both ways.

It is wrong, Slash knew it, and the makers of the game knew they did not have the rights issue figured out and decided to release it anyway. They honestly don't give a fuck is the message here.

Slash created those songs. That song would not exist without Slash.

I think that gives him right to be associated with it to say the least. Fuck not having 'legal ownership' of the GnR Brand.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amount of Axl nut-swinging by 2 people here in this thread in particular is absolutely insane... Seriously that kind of fan devotion and defense is downright scary..

Funny how all of Axl's bitching about litigation that he seems more then willing to want to go after this. Not to mention the Irving Azoff case, and the Dr Pepper thing...

so if you own something anyone can use it for profit? Ok cool!

I aint swinging myself I see the mans point, I also now see why he is so careful with the band name and imagery. At the end of the day though I don't care much really it is a battle fought between lawyers about something that does not involve me except for the fact that this likely destroys any chance of a cool game with the current line up :shrugs:

I highly doubt there will ever be a game featuring the current line up. They're just not that well known to the general public.

I can understand why Axl didn't want pictures of slash. I can't understand why he didn't want images of the new band.

As the majority owner of “brand GN'R” Axl's entitled to oppose (in terms of GN'R) whatever he so wishes. He required that no “Slash related imagery, previous GN'R incarnation imagery, or indeed present GN'R incarnation imagery” be used if Guitar Hero wished to incorporate his brand's signature song in their franchise (was it really that difficult an agreement to uphold?). He obviously has his reasoning for making such a requirement.

If I was in Axl's position I'd oppose Slash imagery because it furthers the warped perception of what presently is Guns N' Roses. Slash's association with GN'R ended in 1996 therefore why (nearly two line-ups later) should a video game depicting a GN'R song involve a Slash avatar? I would also oppose present Guns N' Roses imagery being used because I have a sense of integrity and therefore am mature enough to understand that “Jungle” was written and recorded by a different band and that confusing “Jungle” with the new band would only undermine the project I'm trying to develop. I can't imagine I'm too far off Axl's thought process really.

That's a fair point.

The only thing is that Axl has never tried to create any kind of brand identity for new Guns; no videos, big interviews or photos with all the band (except a few around the time CD was released).

His refusal to let new guns have their images in guitar hero seems to be part of a broader pattern.

Gutair Hero people didn't have all there ducks in a row legally for the Greatest hits and including Jungle in it. And Axl wants to make sure this doesn't happen again. Yeah it may seem petty but Axl has been sued so many times by Slash and the others now he gets his chance for pay back. He really isn't sueing Slash it is the game maker.

I just don't understand why people think someone is hurting for money if they sue for money. I don't know what Axl is sitting as far as money goes and no one else on here does either.

Yes Slash was alot of what made GNR but if they need someone to sign off on something then they better get it. Same goes for Axl.

Its all lawyers anyway Axl will likely never have to actually be there, relax!

Kudos once again to Axl for standing for what is right! I agree with this lawsuit, it's one thing for certain people to use music but to sell it with Slash and a GN'R tune mass marketing? No way :thumbsdown:

Good luck Axl hope this works out, you have a right to protect your music.

once again some of you think its about money when it is not, it is about principle. In case you don't know Axl has money, lot's of it

Seconded,and good post GG, it's not about money at all but to get Activision's attention you have to hit them where it hurts to motivate them to stop their deceptive methods, Activision intentionally uses the GNR name,logo and a former member that has zero,zilch and nada to do with GNR to promote this game,it is intentionally deceptive, sneaky and needed to be sorted out,if Activision is not called on the carpet on this blatant misrepresentation it invites more of the same,from other sources and it needs to be stopped pronto, this absolutely could not be ignored, litigation is well deserved and needed to correct this issue.

lolslash

I'd love to see the contract, regardless, given that this is all contract dispute, Guns N Roses does likely have a very strong claim, if they didn't they likely would not have filed.

Given the delay, i think that there was likely many discussions between the guitar hero camp and Guns N' Roses camp as to settling, and likely those discussion fell through, thus we are here now.

Guest Edward Rose

Funds must've run dry.

The damages are "Punitive." (To punish) It's not about making 20 million bucks or whether or not he really lost that much money. It's about PUNISHING a corporation for their crime in the hopes that they won't do the same to someone else. And even THAT usually doesn't do much to prevent Capitalist Piggery.

Edward Rose

To all of you "internet lawyers" that think that Axl is 100% in the right...well too bad, Axl's going to lose.

1. Activision having dealt with dozens of artists and maybe 100s of contracts probably have analyzed this completely well beforehand and knew they having nothing to worry about. Axl is going to lose. I bet Activision is laughing right now.

2. Slash can never be separated from the Guns N' Roses names. As far as a brand name goes, if he were to put his name with Chinese Democracy that would be different. If he were to put his name next to Welcome to the Jungle, a song he wrote there is nothing legally wrong with that. Slash is from Guns N' Roses. Whether in the past or present, he is from Guns N' Roses. Axl's lawsuit is without merit. Axl is really playing with a doubled edge sword when he says fans would actually be confused into thinking Slash is still part of Guns N' Roses. Axl is going to lose and Slash did nothing wrong.

3. As far as I know, the consideration for Slash giving up the right to use the name Guns N' Roses was for Slash and Duff to gain the right to decide how their past product was used in movies, etc. That was from the 2006? lawsuit that was floating around. Axl's lawsuit is without merit then. Axl is going to lose.

4. Axl's acquiring of the Guns N' Roses name was always murky and never clear. If the contracts ever get made public, they could be analyzed for technical flaws and Axl may have more to lose than if he had kept them in the dark. Axl is going to lose even more.

5. How many lawsuits do you think Axl has won? You think he is angry because he actually won lawsuits against Slash? He may send out cease and desist letters that scare people but in a court where people analyze contracts for technicalities, my guess that Axl will lose. Axl is going to lose again when people call his bluff.

6. Does Axl really have enough of a defense fund to cover suing Azoff and Activision simultaneously? All the money will go to lawyers that make him believe he has a case.

All my opinions.

Feel like the dude should seriously spend less time in the courts and more time in the studio, but that's just my opinion.

Do you have any clue of how much time he spends/has spent in the studio? No. This is the kind of comments I'd hate if I were Axl. People assuming facts they have no idea about.

Now you can say you'd like him to release material more often, me too but that's a different story.

Nice, I didn't care for E.R.'s comment either,unless he can come up with proven facts as to how much time is spent in the studio vs. how much time is spent on lawsuits,it is pure speculation and comes off as a snarky put-down,uninformed,hostile comment,This is a valid case and needs to be pursued on principal alone.

activision were clearly in breach of contract from the story here and therefore are in the wrong, that is what contracts are for is it not? to establish these boundries beforehand, preventing things like this from happening? then surely axl is in the right??

i have shown scripts to a lot of people, my work. i have also worked on several short films which i have written/directed, does this mean to say that somebody who was a runner in the production can go and associate themselves with my legal or intellectual property? no, they cannot. does bucket market himself as GnR guitarist? no

but axl isnt suing slash he is suing activision, its possible that slash didnt know about the previous contract which ssaid he wouldnt be used to advertise it, or that VR would be mentioned, activision isin the wrong and were probably hoping that it would slip by as so many things do for these big companies

fuck you axl and everyone on his balls. as much as i love axl and his talent i cant defend how big of an asshole he is. just because slash left the band doesnt mean he should leave behind all of HIS music. its HIS as it is also axl's. i honestly think axl thinks he is the only thing that has ever mattered in GNR throughout history. like it or not appetite, lies, UYI, and chidem had many, many writers and contributers other than him. who cares if slash wanted to use it for money? he helped write the damn thing. if axl can put songs in movies and games then slash should too. legally axl might be "right," morally hes a complete prick. and to do this years after the fact? what the hell? just my 2 cents.

But it's not so much about Slash, but Activision intentionally lying and misrepresenting themselves. Don't you see that? If what the suit says is true, I don't see how Axl had any choice whatsoever but to sue.

I also think that game must have made a whackload of money, and the Activision likely knew they would get sued, and figured they'd come out ahead anyway.

It's pretty blatant what Activision alledgedly did.

but axl isnt suing slash he is suing activision, its possible that slash didnt know about the previous contract which ssaid he wouldnt be used to advertise it, or that VR would be mentioned, activision isin the wrong and were probably hoping that it would slip by as so many things do for these big companies

I'm sure Slash didn't know about this and is probably swearing up a storm about what Activision did. If they misrepresented themselves to Axl, why not Slash too? Slash may sue as well. Can't wait for Slash's media comments about this.

The amount of Axl nut-swinging by 2 people here in this thread in particular is absolutely insane... Seriously that kind of fan devotion and defense is downright scary..

Funny how all of Axl's bitching about litigation that he seems more then willing to want to go after this. Not to mention the Irving Azoff case, and the Dr Pepper thing...

And He is in the right on all three cases, can't you make a point without degrading other posters? Calling people "nut-swingers" does not make your post any more relevant, contracts were breeched,lawsuits are the way the american justice system works to protect people's rights and to punish these companies/people that choose to dishonor a contract or screw somebody over.

So I guess when people hear Jungle, Axl wants them to think of DJ Asha, Robin Fink, Tommy Stinson, Moby, Shaq, Buckethead, Zakk Wydle etc...

Baloney.

He wants people to forget about the old band, yet he continues to play the old songs.

Yeah, that's complete crap. :rolleyes:

Way to twist things around. The point is that Axl doesn't want Activision implying that Slash is still associated with GN'R, and they told him they would not imply such an association.

Ali

To all of you "internet lawyers" that think that Axl is 100% in the right...well too bad, Axl's going to lose.

1. Activision having dealt with dozens of artists and maybe 100s of contracts probably have analyzed this completely well beforehand and knew they having nothing to worry about. Axl is going to lose. I bet Activision is laughing right now.

2. Slash can never be separated from the Guns N' Roses names. As far as a brand name goes, if he were to put his name with Chinese Democracy that would be different. If he were to put his name next to Welcome to the Jungle, a song he wrote there is nothing legally wrong with that. Slash is from Guns N' Roses. Whether in the past or present, he is from Guns N' Roses. Axl's lawsuit is without merit. Axl is really playing with a doubled edge sword when he says fans would actually be confused into thinking Slash is still part of Guns N' Roses. Axl is going to lose and Slash did nothing wrong.

3. As far as I know, the consideration for Slash giving up the right to use the name Guns N' Roses was for Slash and Duff to gain the right to decide how their past product was used in movies, etc. That was from the 2006? lawsuit that was floating around. Axl's lawsuit is without merit then. Axl is going to lose.

4. Axl's acquiring of the Guns N' Roses name was always murky and never clear. If the contracts ever get made public, they could be analyzed for technical flaws and Axl may have more to lose than if he had kept them in the dark. Axl is going to lose even more.

5. How many lawsuits do you think Axl has won? You think he is angry because he actually won lawsuits against Slash? He may send out cease and desist letters that scare people but in a court where people analyze contracts for technicalities, my guess that Axl will lose. Axl is going to lose again when people call his bluff.

6. Does Axl really have enough of a defense fund to cover suing Azoff and Activision simultaneously? All the money will go to lawyers that make him believe he has a case.

All my opinions.

But the suit is not about whether Slash can be separated from GnR. It is about what Activision promised, and that they went against their promise. Slash did nothing wrong and Axl didn't say in the suit that he did.

fuck you axl and everyone on his balls. as much as i love axl and his talent i cant defend how big of an asshole he is. just because slash left the band doesnt mean he should leave behind all of HIS music. its HIS as it is also axl's. i honestly think axl thinks he is the only thing that has ever mattered in GNR throughout history. like it or not appetite, lies, UYI, and chidem had many, many writers and contributers other than him. who cares if slash wanted to use it for money? he helped write the damn thing. if axl can put songs in movies and games then slash should too. legally axl might be "right," morally hes a complete prick. and to do this years after the fact? what the hell? just my 2 cents.

But it's not so much about Slash, but Activision intentionally lying and misrepresenting themselves. Don't you see that? If what the suit says is true, I don't see how Axl had any choice whatsoever but to sue.

I also think that game must have made a whackload of money, and the Activision likely knew they would get sued, and figured they'd come out ahead anyway.

It's pretty blatant what Activision alledgedly did.

I'm sure Slash didn't know about this and is probably swearing up a storm about what Activision did. If they misrepresented themselves to Axl, why not Slash too? Slash may sue as well. Can't wait for Slash's media comments about this.

Yes, I'm quite interested in how he is going to respond to this issue :D

All my opinions.

But the suit is not about whether Slash can be separated from GnR. It is about what Activision promised, and that they went against their promise. Slash did nothing wrong and Axl didn't say in the suit that he did.

Exactly. The lawsuit really isn't about Slash. It's about Activision and how they misrepresented themselves and their intentions to use WTTJ and Slash's likeness.

Ali