music videos

blake-a-mania

looking around on youtube i came across this

Mr.Brownstone official video

I thought i had seen it before but wasn't sure, it got me thinking, I have heard of other artist (particularly Prince) making a lot of videos that never see the light of day, seeing as we all know there are songs that have been recorded over the last 14 years or so what do you think about videos. maybe for CD songs?? (better being a good example), but maybe a song that was never intended to be on CD but promo for the band?? 'Oh My God', "Crash Diet" or something else maybe? do you think it exists?

i just want to point out that i am not saying this stuff does exist or that it should, just questioning the possibility

Edited by blake-a-mania

It's almost at the point where fanmade videos look better than videos originally made at the time.

Tool makes their own videos but there's only one video they're actually in. Plus you have to take into account the screen footage, which a fan could easily take from a concert, record it, mix it in with other stuff, and add effects to performance footage.

I think Diddy had said a while ago that artists aren't getting the money they used to get for videos, with some exceptions (like Lady Gaga).

It's still the bootcamp for up and coming directors... there's a lot of names that cut their teeth working on a 3 and a half minute clip, even if they didn't get the credit as director.

But when the Live CD came out, I don't know why they didn't release a DVD to go along with it. I think it would've been great to see clips from different shows mixed together.

Prince? Ever since "Purple Rain", he went overboard thinking he was going to be a movie star. He doesn't do drugs, so he overindulged in making everything into a mini-movie. Kevin Smith talked about it on one of the "Evening With" DVDs, and it turned out some of it was used as screen footage. Beyonce, when "B-Day" came out, made a promo video for almost every song, and she filmed it all in a week.

I don't think music videos are all that important when it comes to music anymore. It used to be a band's business card, but having a pimped out website and buzzworthy videos you can find on You Tube are more useful. If people want to see GNR, they're going to the bootleg footage to see them, no one's waiting for world premiere videos anymore.

Lots of bands set up cameras just for a venue to run ads. You'll see the Arrowhead Pond do it, and other venues near the concessions that have flat screens set up. I'm sure there's full length shows shot, but I'll go back to Tool on this.... their video director comes really cheap.

I know the music video in general isnt alive as it was say 10 years ago, i am currently studying digital video and broadcast production for my HONS degree, and i always wanted to work on the big music videos (epic or overboard depending on how you look at them) the sort you should for people like prince, MJ, or GnR, it was well paid and got you recognised (look at david fincher), however i understand that isnt really an option anymore.

as well as finding the Brownstone video i also saw that segment on the Kevin Smith DVD and he mentions prince in particular as having worked on many videos that never saw the light of day, tracks and albums too. thats part of what made me think of this thread, thought it could be interesting to hear others opinions.

I still think there is a market for the MV however it is confined, as you say, to Youtube/dailymotion and websites, so maybe the days of the expensive/outrageous MV are all behind us now?

I remember seeing a You Could Be Mine video with no T2 footage in it back in the day. I'm pretty sure there were 3 edits of that video made. There is an official alternate Sweet Child and Paradise City on youtube.

I very much doubt there are any made in recent times other than the Better video.

I know the music video in general isnt alive as it was say 10 years ago, i am currently studying digital video and broadcast production for my HONS degree, and i always wanted to work on the big music videos (epic or overboard depending on how you look at them) the sort you should for people like prince, MJ, or GnR, it was well paid and got you recognised (look at david fincher), however i understand that isnt really an option anymore.

Lady Gaga recently made a 9 minute video and most artists still make them. Look at the band Ok Go, they are known for their inventive music videos. Don't underestimate the power of Youtube. Go find some cool local bands and start making original and artistic videos for them.

as well as finding the Brownstone video i also saw that segment on the Kevin Smith DVD and he mentions prince in particular as having worked on many videos that never saw the light of day, tracks and albums too. thats part of what made me think of this thread, thought it could be interesting to hear others opinions.

I still think there is a market for the MV however it is confined, as you say, to Youtube/dailymotion and websites, so maybe the days of the expensive/outrageous MV are all behind us now?

Artists from the recording industry have said they've had to work within a tight budget, some of them have made music videos for TV (bigger budget) and for You Tube (lower budget). Music videos are still important, but just going by your own listening experiences, does a music video compel you to go to a music store and buy a full length CD, or download it? That's the power MTV used to have. All you have to do is see how Kanye West, Taylor Swift, and Lady Gaga are putting their music out there. All of them still do big budget videos. MTV used to do TRL, the live countdown show and advertise street release dates.

As far as TV and film production, the more proficient you are at editing, the more work you'll get, and get your own production company. This can also mean working out of your home, because all you really need is a computer, editing software, and a good internet connection. And even if you just do this as a side job, you'll also get to learn about writing just about everything off as a business expense... flat screen TV, video equipment, your internet, even magazines. Anything media related that "applies to your job". Talk to people who have their own production company about what they write off, and then when you're making some money, you should be able to handle it.

Paid or unpaid, take what you can get just for your demo reel while you're in school, even if it's not all that fun and cool... sometimes "fun and energetic" means a lot of hours and little money to show for it. The money's in syndication and I'm sure the professors are going to tell you that. The good thing is that you have a pretty wide variety of places you can work, even if it might be something you'd have no interest in. A gig's a gig. You could wind up working in the news, or following swimsuit models around, or doing live shows.

But if you start thinking about your own production company in ten years' time, you can look into the different websites, and what they offer, and ask yourself "how much of this can I do now?" The down side is if you wind up with a family by then, the benefit packages are going to be a bigger deal that you might just use the production company as a second job, but at least it's one where you set the hours, and can prob. use students from the college to do a few hours work for little pay and more for you as a reference. References for a student are a bigger deal than money is.