When was Sympathy for the Devil recorded?

Vincent Vega

After Axl saw the premiere of Interview with the Vampire he decided he liked it and wanted to do the song.

I dont think that sounds right, it could be though. Its been a while since Ive read Slash's bio but my memory tells me that they recorded the song just to get back into the studio, I dont think they could pull off the entire creation of that song in the short time between the premiere and whenever it came out.

After Axl saw the premiere of Interview with the Vampire he decided he liked it and wanted to do the song.

I dont think that sounds right, it could be though. Its been a while since Ive read Slash's bio but my memory tells me that they recorded the song just to get back into the studio, I dont think they could pull off the entire creation of that song in the short time between the premiere and whenever it came out.

According to Slash, he originally wanted to do the song until he saw the premiere and didn't like the movie. Axl, being the evil dictator he is, decided he liked the movie and wanted to do the song.

That's what I heard.

According to Slash, he originally wanted to do the song until he saw the premiere and didn't like the movie. Axl, being the evil dictator he is, decided he liked the movie and wanted to do the song.

That's what I heard.

Axl beat poor Slash senseless. He belt whipped him until poor, innocent, sweet childlike Slash said "Yes Axl!" yes to escape the immense pain and suffering.

That's what I heard.

Axl beat poor Slash senseless. He belt whipped him until poor, innocent, sweet childlike Slash said "Yes Axl!" yes to escape the immense pain and suffering.

Im not sure if you are incredibly dumb, sarcastic, or both.

I don't think Paul really redid any of Slash's solo, he just recorded a counter melody to it. I really have my doubts that Slash hadn't met Tobias/Huge before 1993/1994. I've read a lot that Paul just didn't have the chops, but I don't agree with that. His work at Rio in 2001 showed he could play very well. Sure, he looked like he was struggling, but he didn't sound like he was and that is most important. Perhaps he couldn't write music well, but he could certainly play guitar better than what various articles would lead one to believe.

I've wondered why West Arkeen was never considered, what with his history with the band.

I don't think Paul really redid any of Slash's solo, he just recorded a counter melody to it. I really have my doubts that Slash hadn't met Tobias/Huge before 1993/1994. I've read a lot that Paul just didn't have the chops, but I don't agree with that. His work at Rio in 2001 showed he could play very well. Sure, he looked like he was struggling, but he didn't sound like he was and that is most important. Perhaps he couldn't write music well, but he could certainly play guitar better than what various articles would lead one to believe.

I've wondered why West Arkeen was never considered, what with his history with the band.

Slash has confirmed that Paul didn't redo any of his solo, Paul only added an "answer" riff and as you said, a counter melody. Both Slash and Paul play lead and rhythm respectively.

He seemed to have been a competent songwriter.

I think Wes wasn't considered because at the time, West was starting his own band, plus I think he had issues with heroin.

As SFTD appers in the movie, I find it a little difficult that Axl first saw the premier of the film and then decided that he wanted to do the song...

As SFTD appers in the movie, I find it a little difficult that Axl first saw the premier of the film and then decided that he wanted to do the song...

Guns were asked to do the song by Geffen before the movie came out because they felt Guns' career was fading (TSI only sold a million, compared to the 7 million of the Illusions and the 5 million for Lies) and they needed some product to keep the fans interested until the 'next album.' Originally, the movie had the original Stones' version at the end. Slash thought that was fine, and that it didn't need to be covered, and he thought the movie was crap. However, Axl saw the movie and loved it. According to his version of the story, he relented and decided to record it because he felt it would be a good way to get the band all in one room.

Edited by Indigo Child

you see on the interview, that it was done after Slash and Axl saw the Interview W/Vampire movie, but by the time the movie was released it had GNR on the soundtrack. So somewhere between when production wrapped up for the movie and the press copies of the film started floating around, and the offiicial release of the movie.

you see on the interview, that it was done after Slash and Axl saw the Interview W/Vampire movie, but by the time the movie was released it had GNR on the soundtrack. So somewhere between when production wrapped up for the movie and the press copies of the film started floating around, and the offiicial release of the movie.

I'm kind of happy they did it in retrospect. It wouldn't have sounded as cool with the Stones' original, plus it was a great cover, and actually a nice way for Axl and Slash to split up--Not a bad song nor a bad cover to end it with. Slash calls the song "the sound of a band breaking up", well if that's so, it's a testament to how talented Guns was because even the sound of them breaking up is a badass song.

And I disagree with Slash on Interview with the Vampire sucking...I love it personally. And as far as Tom Cruise as Lestat, well, I don't like Tom Cruise in general as an actor but I love him here, he totally got Lestat's character. I kind of wish they had made the other books into movies with him in the role.

Edited by Indigo Child

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...