"It will be a cold day in hell before a reunion"

ManetsBR

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what makes it so bad that Axl, as leader of the band known as Guns N Roses, performs multiple tracks from the biggest album the band put out.

-Aside from Shotgun Blues, Dead Horse and One in a Million... Axl never wrote any guitar, for any songs from the original lineup. GNR (aside from 3 or 4 pretty ballads) was a guitar-oriented band.

-His biggest album, if holding the name is to be justified, should be the one he made on his own - not the one [AFD]where the music was written by an entirely different set of musicians that are known to be the original lineup.

Axl just needs to grow up. He is responsible for his image in the media, no one else. Fuck, he even sounded like an asshole when he did the Del interview. The man is fucked in the head.

By this logic, Slash shouldn't play any VR or GNR songs that he didn't write the lyrics or come up with the riff for. Yet he does. For the same reasons Axl performs them. It is either an issue for both or not at all. It isn't much different than say, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards playing Stones' songs on solo tours. The audience would be disappointed to NOT hear some of those songs with or with out Mick/Keith. Same situation besides Mick and Keith still being able to play together.

I saw Axl on Saturday night. Guy can sing and front a band but he has the brain of a child.

He's a sad, sad man.

P.S. And before some paranoid delusional freak jumps to conclusions I travelled to Sydney to watch Axl in concert. Awesome show but I have little time for the individual who hides behind sun glasses.

I know right? Always seems miserable. Bitter. Lawsuit after lawsuit. Cash grab tour with Slash impersonator. Very sad.

Or maybe he is living his life exactly the way he wants to. I love how "fans" assume they know how Axl (or any celebrity) feels on a day-to-day basis.

Cash grab tour? What? So what differinciates (sp) Axl going on tour and Slash going on tour? Oh, I remember. Anything Axl does is for the money - anything Slash does is for the love of music.

Huge house, tons of money, beatiful gf, and he is traveling the world playing music......ya, sounds like a miserable life.

Oh, Rouo Girl....I would respond, but I can't really understand what you posted, sorry.

Its a total cash grab man. At least Slash isn't an AFD jukebox.

Just for the sake of argument, Slash kind of is an AFD jukebox. Rocket Queen, Nightrain, WTTJ, SCOM, Paradise City, My Michelle have been played regularly on his tour. Along with Civil War and Patience. And VR songs. It makes a lot of sense considering that Slash was in GNR and VR, so he plays songs from those bands. Axl was and is in GNR, so he plays them as well. Duff also plays VR and GNR songs at Loaded shows. That's normally how it works. Slash does it the same as Axl does, he just has a bigger selection to chose from due to his solo, VR, and Snakepit endeavors. I don't know what makes it so bad that Axl, as leader of the band known as Guns N Roses, performs multiple tracks from the biggest album the band put out.

[sarcasm]shut up man, you dont know what youre talking about. axl is bad because he plays afd. slash is awesome because he plays afd. gtfo. [/sarcasm]

its a cash grab when he tours, he's crazy when he disappears. he cant win. thats nothing new.

I don't know what makes it so bad that Axl, as leader of the band known as Guns N Roses, performs multiple tracks from the biggest album the band put out.

-Aside from Shotgun Blues, Dead Horse and One in a Million... Axl never wrote any guitar, for any songs from the original lineup. GNR (aside from 3 or 4 pretty ballads) was a guitar-oriented band.

-His biggest album, if holding the name is to be justified, should be the one he made on his own - not the one [AFD]where the music was written by an entirely different set of musicians that are known to be the original lineup.

Axl just needs to grow up. He is responsible for his image in the media, no one else. Fuck, he even sounded like an asshole when he did the Del interview. The man is fucked in the head.

By this logic, Slash shouldn't play any VR or GNR songs that he didn't write the lyrics or come up with the riff for. Yet he does. For the same reasons Axl performs them. It is either an issue for both or not at all. It isn't much different than say, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards playing Stones' songs on solo tours. The audience would be disappointed to NOT hear some of those songs with or with out Mick/Keith. Same situation besides Mick and Keith still being able to play together.

No... incorrect.

Axl took the band name - hired new people, and in a sense makes it seem like he's responsible for all the material. Most of the material only contains him as a lyric/vocal writer. A few songs have him as a musician (piano and power chord guitar riffs)

Slash, touring with Myles Kennedy, isn't implying 'this band on stage is VR, I'm the principal writer.'

And no... I don't want Axl to disappear. I think Axl is a brilliant singer, a brilliant lyric writer, but a terrible producer. He needs to learn to trust people. I believe at one time, he trusted Mike Clink and the original GNR boys.

A good director is trusted by his/her actors. A good director will say 'give me too much, give me over the top and I will let you know when it's too much.' A good director will tell the actors to dial it down just enough to make the performance believable. Audience will connect with the performance.

Unfortunately, for Chinese Democracy, there was no such director (or producer in the music world). There was no Slash, Duff, or Izzy to say 'come on, this sounds amazing let's just put it out.' There was no buffer for Axl's over-production, and this unfortunately turned what could have been a great record into a disjointed jigaw puzzle. Lots of great pieces, but no cohesiveness. Appetite and UYIs (even Spaghetti) were fucking brilliant. With the exception of maybe 3 songs, CD was a train wreck - and goes to show that the GNR name doesn't belong to one person.

Edited by zepsun

Chinese Democracy's production has nothing at all to do with the topic of Slash/Axl playing GNR or VR songs live. Why does Axl not trusting someone while making CD mean he shouldn't be playing AFD songs? Should he not play CD songs either since Robin/Bucket/Brain aren't with the band anymore? If he toured as Axl Rose instead of as part of Guns would there be an issue with him playing the classics?

No... incorrect.

Axl took the band name - hired new people, and in a sense makes it seem like he's responsible for all the material. Most of the material only contains him as a lyric/vocal writer. A few songs have him as a musician (piano and power chord guitar riffs)

Slash, touring with Myles Kennedy, isn't implying 'this band on stage is VR, I'm the principal writer.'

And no... I don't want Axl to disappear. I think Axl is a brilliant singer, a brilliant lyric writer, but a terrible producer. He needs to learn to trust people. I believe at one time, he trusted Mike Clink and the original GNR boys.

A good director is trusted by his/her actors. A good director will say 'give me too much, give me over the top and I will let you know when it's too much.' A good director will tell the actors to dial it down just enough to make the performance believable. Audience will connect with the performance.

Unfortunately, for Chinese Democracy, there was no such director (or producer in the music world). There was no Slash, Duff, or Izzy to say 'come on, this sounds amazing let's just put it out.' There was no buffer for Axl's over-production, and this unfortunately turned what could have been a great record into a disjointed jigaw puzzle. Lots of great pieces, but no cohesiveness. Appetite and UYIs (even Spaghetti) were fucking brilliant. With the exception of maybe 3 songs, CD was a train wreck - and goes to show that the GNR name doesn't belong to one person.

While I don't Agree to most of your opinions here, I can see where you're coming from.

Catcher In The Rye is a good example of not having anyone to tell Axl when a song is done. While I also like what Bumble did to the song (I love his solo and outro) I really think they got it right the first time. The demo with mastering and mixing could've been a classic, and had the right feel overall making it better imo.

What do you do when you have those kind of resources available to you, with that kind of classic albums in your back catalog?

I love Chinese Democracy and I think Axl is talented as a producer but he can't resist the temptation on improving whatever material he's working on, making me believe he's got a problem walking away from a song with confidence it's really done.

It was a problem with UYI too, so it's no surprise really.

Edited by Rovim

to me it's just what artists do, they have something slightly different to say, so they try to express it in a different way. doing Catcher in a UYI way might be what some people want. It's like with Beatles White Album people say it's too much filler, indulgent or whatever but it's The White Album. CD is CD, wishing it was something is a waste of time.

to me it's just what artists do, they have something slightly different to say, so they try to express it in a different way. doing Catcher in a UYI way might be what some people want. It's like with Beatles White Album people say it's too much filler, indulgent or whatever but it's The White Album. CD is CD, wishing it was something is a waste of time.

I'm satisfied with Chinese Democracy as the finished product. The process of it's making is what I don't fully understand.

I'm interested in hearing what Axl heard in his head, but artists sometimes go against what the songs ask for.

How many albums The Beatles put out in 10 years? Or John or Paul?

I believe you shouldn't rush art and the finished product should be presented as the artist intended it to be, however when said artist

is admitting the proces was a nightmare, I'm left with the feeling Axl as an artist put too much importance on Chinese Democracy as an idea, that the cost was very high for him and for everyone who was a part of the project or a fan of Guns N' Roses.

I don't blame Axl, I think he was on a dark emotional place but that still doesn't change the fact the damage to many aspects of the man, his life and his music was great as he tried to follow what he believed to be his way and true to what he felt, which is, in part, tragic, considering all those lost years.

I'm satisfied with Chinese Democracy as the finished product. The process of it's making is what I don't fully understand.

I'm interested in hearing what Axl heard in his head, but artists sometimes go against what the songs ask for.

How many albums The Beatles put out in 10 years? Or John or Paul?

I believe you shouldn't rush art and the finished product should be presented as the artist intended it to be, however when said artist

is admitting the proces was a nightmare, I'm left with the feeling Axl as an artist put too much importance on Chinese Democracy as an idea, that the cost was very high for him and for everyone who was a part of the project or a fan of Guns N' Roses.

I don't blame Axl, I think he was on a dark emotional place but that still doesn't change the fact the damage to many aspects of the man, his life and his music was great as he tried to follow what he believed to be his way and true to what he felt, which is, in part, tragic, considering all those lost years.

I think you could be right, that Axl was determined to put out a great album but he was feeling crappy and had many obstacles in his way. "Life sucks, but in this really beautiful way" - think was his quote. That's Chinese Democracy, this on going struggle.

But the need or want to make something different each time they recorded may have caused problems.

Not sure how the amount of material put out comes in. MJ didn't put out a lot of cds. GNR's catalog is looking pretty focused...

I'm more surprised that anyone is shocked that any of the current band members would say something good about Slash or any of the old guys. I've never heard a bad word from newer members in regards to the former members. In fact, Bumblefoot said he'd gladly give his instrument away if one of the guys came on stage to play, which he did for Duff. Even Axl has never spoken ill of Slash's guitar work, just their personal issues. Just because Axl hates Slash doesn't mean the rest of the band does, too. Come on.

I can't find the quote, but not so long along, Axl said words to the effect, finding guitarists at Slash's level is simple enough,

which is pretty rich thing for him to say.

Have you seen Axl attempt guitar? he can't do it :D

Edited by star

I'm more surprised that anyone is shocked that any of the current band members would say something good about Slash or any of the old guys. I've never heard a bad word from newer members in regards to the former members. In fact, Bumblefoot said he'd gladly give his instrument away if one of the guys came on stage to play, which he did for Duff. Even Axl has never spoken ill of Slash's guitar work, just their personal issues. Just because Axl hates Slash doesn't mean the rest of the band does, too. Come on.

I can't find the quote, but not so long along, Axl said words to the effect, finding guitarists at Slash's level is simple enough,

which is pretty rich thing for him to say.

Have you seen Axl attempt guitar? he can't do it :D

Actually, what he said in effect was he wasn't a fan of Slash's latest guitar work--Like VR and stuff. That he hasn't thought Slash has had ''the fire'' since Sympathy for the Devil. But he never said, "You know, in retrospect, Slash was a crap guitarist." He's just not a fan of Slash's work since around '94.

Edited by Indigo Child

Hell is a relative place. I currently live in Kentucky and it's 20 some degrees out. I would call it a cold day in hell.

Try come to Norway where it's -22 (-30 celcius) today, that's worse than hell, hehe :devil:

Edited by Christian

A real fan of the old band wishes all former members success. Only douchebags kiss one guy's ass and praise everything he does - while wishing failure to the other guy. And that goes for axl lovers and slash lovers.

Finally somebody in this thead makes sense! :thumbsup:

Personally I am an AxlSlashDuffIzzySteven-lite! :tongue2:

What I also find so interesting is that some of you (on side or the other) are talking about them, like you really know them very well. Like you were there during the breakup, the songwriting, the arguments etc. etc. Which is almost certain not true, so it's all just speculation. It is kind of scarry.

However in a strange way all the fighting on this forum is kind of entertaining, so don't let me bother you :)

After all the negative stuff Axl has said about Slash over the years, no wonder a reunion will never happen. Slash will always remain the most popular among the two over them, and I am sure Slash finds it comfortable to mix with other stars, far more so than Axl.

What about the potential Guns N' Roses Hall Of Fame Induction ?

If it goes ahead, Slash will be there. Adler will show. Duff i'm sure will be there. I see no reason why Izzy wouldn't show.

Would Axl dare show his face? how will he deal with it? would he ignore the whole thing? make an excuse? maybe appear via video-link?

If it does ever happen, and Axl don't show, it would to show Axl has no balls.

And what of the hired hands, will they show up? will they be invited?

Dude the current band will perform and get inducted at the HOF. Duff and Izzy will probably play with them also like Jason did with Metallica.

$la$h and $teven won't be there like Mustaine was not present for Metallica.

You're seriously about that? Hahaha what in hell do you think that this current band will get inducted? This band has achieved nothing.... It's only Axl, who is touring on the legancy of the old band and some hired musicians who play for the money.

*edit* On the other hand: after reading your signature, nobody can take you serious... :rofl-lol:

Edited by saulhudson88

After all the negative stuff Axl has said about Slash over the years, no wonder a reunion will never happen. Slash will always remain the most popular among the two over them, and I am sure Slash finds it comfortable to mix with other stars, far more so than Axl.

If it goes ahead, Slash will be there. Adler will show. Duff i'm sure will be there. I see no reason why Izzy wouldn't show.

Would Axl dare show his face? how will he deal with it? would he ignore the whole thing? make an excuse? maybe appear via video-link?

Dude the current band will perform and get inducted at the HOF. Duff and Izzy will probably play with them also like Jason did with Metallica.

Nice Fantasy mate but, Slash said on "That Metal Show" this past Saturday night that if and when they are inducted he will be there and he knows Steven will be there...He joked that he expects "most" of the AFD era members will be there...I am willing to bet Axl does not even show up..If he does it will be interesting indeed..........

That's the stupidest thing i've ever heard. Why won't Axl be there for HIS band to get inducted? $la$h has no business being there. do you also expect to see gilby and sorum and everyone else that played in the band? Axl will invite whoever he wants to be there.

Slash has no business being there? Are you retarded? Do you think they're getting inducted for CD?

Nice Fantasy mate but, Slash said on "That Metal Show" this past Saturday night that if and when they are inducted he will be there and he knows Steven will be there...He joked that he expects "most" of the AFD era members will be there...I am willing to bet Axl does not even show up..If he does it will be interesting indeed..........

That's the stupidest thing i've ever heard. Why won't Axl be there for HIS band to get inducted? $la$h has no business being there. do you also expect to see gilby and sorum and everyone else that played in the band? Axl will invite whoever he wants to be there.

Slash has no business being there? Are you retarded? Do you think they're getting inducted for CD?

:lol:

I agree, what's DJ's business there? or the beard guy? Only the AFD lineup(the true gnr in this form) will be inducted.

Edited by LaRocker