"It will be a cold day in hell before a reunion"

ManetsBR

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what Axl thinks about DJ Ashba speaking out. A few weeks ago DJ said the new album will be out soon, it won't take years, etc..

Now he says there is no way there will be a reunion with Slash.

This coming from a guy who is only a touring guitarist.

This coming from a guy who is only a touring guitarist.

I think he's more than that, DJ seems to take being in Guns seriously which is a great thing and I reckon he's around for the long haul, and I believe he's recorded bits with Axl over the past couple of years and he knows what's coming.

Didn't DJ mention once that Axl wanted him in the band years ago but he refused as he had too much on at the time, and then when the auditions happened Axl told the band if he showed he's got the gig.

Is there a fan base of a band that is more self loathing and hostile toward the band itself than the GNR base?

I think the fans are very loyal to the real GnR, Axl, Duff, Izzy Slash and Steven, but have an issue with Axl calling his current band of hired hands GnR.....and you find this surprising?

Considering old Gn'R has ended years ago, and this is a forum to discuss the current band, it's tedious.

Edited by Rovim

Is there a fan base of a band that is more self loathing and hostile toward the band itself than the GNR base?

I think the fans are very loyal to the real GnR, Axl, Duff, Izzy Slash and Steven, but have an issue with Axl calling his current band of hired hands GnR.....and you find this surprising?

Considering old Gn'R has ended years ago, and this is a forum to discuss the current band, it's tedious.

Many of the members here don't consider NuGnR to be GnR and are expressing their opinion so what can you do?...... :shrugs:.....for anyone who finds this offensive there is another forum where it is verboten to mention the old GnR or criticize NuGnR so I wonder they just don't post there if it bothers them so much?

It's possible to respect what the old guys did, and stop repeating the same old shit. You don't have to like or even acknowledge new Guns, expressing one's opinions is a must in a forum, but when the same old opinion is spat out again and again and again

it's just like a broken record. There is no discussion or value in it imo. If you hate something that much, why waste time on it?

besides, there is a separation of sections here for a reason.

Edited by Rovim

Many of the members here don't consider NuGnR to be GnR and are expressing their opinion so what can you do?...... :shrugs:.....for anyone who finds this offensive there is another forum where it is verboten to mention the old GnR or criticize NuGnR so I wonder they just don't post there if it bothers them so much?

It's possible to respect what the old guys did, and stop repeating the same old shit. You don't have to like or even acknowledge new Guns, expressing one's opinions is a must in a forum, but when the same old opinion is spat out again and again and again

it's just like a broken record. There is no discussion or value in it imo. If you hate something that much, why waste time on it?

besides, there is a separation of sections here for a reason.

There is repetitive trolling which goes on by fans of old and NuGnR, it is the nature of a forum which allows opinions. Nature of the beast I am afraid.............

Nah, I've been in other forums. we're 'special'.

Considering mygnr.com started out in 96 or earlier, it is based on the original band. The forum was just a natural evolution of the old page...

Considering this page never would exist if it weren't for the original band...

Considering Axl is living on past glories...

Considering that he kinda "forced" the old members to give up the rights to the name...

Considering that the setlist are heavily based on songs by the original band...

Considering that he's released one album in 17 years when on his own...

Considering that he still calls it Guns N' Roses...

...it's no wonder fans of the old band want a reunion, and have a hard time with Axl dragging the name through the mud.

Pick your choice! I could go on and on!

NewGNR are enjoyable enough, but nok even close to old GNR when it comes to anything except that they got the same singer.

...it's no wonder fans of the old band want a reunion, and have a hard time with Axl dragging the name through the mud.

maybe they should get over it. its not worth being upset about it and whining and bitching day after day. the majority of us are quite happy with the band. the rest of you can jump right off the brooklyn bridge for all i care because your shit is old.

Sorum response for a reunion: 'What? when we're 60?'

I wouldn't hold my breath. But I get why it's been like this here for such a long time. The classic line up is loved by many and that's great but I just think the same old tired shit is in the way of good discussion sometimes.

How many times someone starts a good thread and before you know it it's Axl Vs. Slash round #2,987,342? We can do better.

Edited by Rovim

Considering mygnr.com started out in 96 or earlier, it is based on the original band. The forum was just a natural evolution of the old page...

1996 was NOT a good year to be a Guns fan. It was already clear there were problems with new material... and really it was easy to see there were problems for several years before then.

Considering this page never would exist if it weren't for the original band...

There's no denying the "classic" lineup had great songs, and that's what got them noticed.

Considering Axl is living on past glories...

And Slash isn't? Really? Personally I'll take the one new GNR album over ALL of Slash's recorded output since he left GnR.

Considering that he kinda "forced" the old members to give up the rights to the name...

He came up with the name, he put together the band, they didn't have a problem signing it at the time, they left the band, it really seems like only after Slash realized the other projects wouldn't fare as well as Guns that he started crying foul.

Considering that the setlist are heavily based on songs by the original band...

A GnR show without "Sweet Child", "Jungle", "November Rain", "Patience", or "Paradise City"? Yeah, that'd go over REAL well. People would be pissed if they didn't hear them. Actually I'm pleased that they're playing a lot of CD songs to support it.

Considering that he's released one album in 17 years when on his own...

There's a lot more to it it than that, and that's based on comments made from other people than just Axl. There are plenty of people who've said it was ready to go at several points in time as far back as 10 years ago. And I think it's clear by now more than one album's worth of material was made during that time.

Considering that he still calls it Guns N' Roses...

I was and still am a fan of the "old band" and loved the songs that came out during that time, but it clearly wasn't meant to last. They had problems and sadly their ability to create together ran out of gas- you just have to accept it like I did 15 years ago. I actually would rather have it this way than to see them have come out with Snakepit type songs. For all the criticism CD gets from some here, I think a new album by the "classic" GnR wouldn't have been as good.

I don't at all think GnR's name has been "dragged through the mud", it was a long hard wait for sure but in all seriousness I like the new music even more than the older stuff. This is coming from a fan that wore out several copies of AFD and bought the UYI albums the day they came out and loved them. And that's not because of the hype, the legend or whatever... I walked into it expecting to be severely disappointed and was quite surprised at what I heard.

Edited by bitstorm

I remember fans of The Band being pretty hostile towards Robbie Robertson in the late '70s/ early '80s

Levon Helm wrote about Robertson in his book, it was mostly about how Robertson got the bulk of the publishing, but he seemed more upset at Albert Grossman at being the one profiting off of it, while the rest of them had to continue playing live gigs, but 2 of them had passed away.

I know Levon's done a bunch of character actor roles, he's done a few things with Tommy Lee Jones over the years. All I know is that if he's doing those Midnight Rambles in Woodstock NY, better have a Ben Franklin handy.. intimate gig, and just about anyone could show up to join in that night.

They (the remainding members minus Robertson) were also at Roger Waters Wall concert in Berlin...

ive always thought of CD era like Dylan going electric, like when he played to those folk audiences and they all run out after in tears screaming "asshole, you killed music!". but Dylan didn't seems to care, and neither does Axl it seems. it's like a medal.

1996 was NOT a good year to be a Guns fan. It was already clear there were problems with new material... and really it was easy to see there were problems for several years before then.

It was a shitty year to be a GNR fan. Slash was gone, same with Gilby. We had no idea who was in the band, or if there even was a band at that time. But considering we knew to little at the time, at least there were hope yet.

There's no denying the "classic" lineup had great songs, and that's what got them noticed.

Well, there's no denying that. In my opinion they have some of the best songs ever written.

And Slash isn't? Really? Personally I'll take the one new GNR album over ALL of Slash's recorded output since he left GnR.

Nah, not nearly as much. Slash have released several good albums. Both Snakepit albums, the first VR and his solo record are all good. If the first Snakepit record was supposed to be the next GNR record, then it's kinda sad, because that would have been their best release since Appetite with Axl's input. At least 3 of these 4 records tops or are equally good as CD.

He came up with the name, he put together the band, they didn't have a problem signing it at the time, they left the band, it really seems like only after Slash realized the other projects wouldn't fare as well as Guns that he started crying foul.

Well they had to sign it didn't they.. When Axl refused to play shows already signed contracts for if they didn't. Ofcourse they didn't think he would go all "Hitler" on them at the time.

A GnR show without "Sweet Child", "Jungle", "November Rain", "Patience", or "Paradise City"? Yeah, that'd go over REAL well. People would be pissed if they didn't hear them. Actually I'm pleased that they're playing a lot of CD songs to support it.

My point exactly. People would be pissed. It's the songs of the old band, not the new band. They should consider playing a couple of them, cause of Axl. Just like Slash and Duff did in VR. Well, i've seen them 4 times now i think, there have never been more than about 6 songs from CD. 7-10 songs fra Appetite, and a few from Illusions, including the covers. I dont care if it's called GNR, it never should have been called that.

There's a lot more to it it than that, and that's based on comments made from other people than just Axl. There are plenty of people who've said it was ready to go at several points in time as far back as 10 years ago. And I think it's clear by now more than one album's worth of material was made during that time.

Well, i guess Axl have always been calling the shots, so no matter when it was ready to go, it didn't come out.

I was and still am a fan of the "old band" and loved the songs that came out during that time, but it clearly wasn't meant to last. They had problems and sadly their ability to create together ran out of gas- you just have to accept it like I did 15 years ago. I actually would rather have it this way than to see them have come out with Snakepit type songs. For all the criticism CD gets from some here, I think a new album by the "classic" GnR wouldn't have been as good.

I don't at all think GnR's name has been "dragged through the mud", it was a long hard wait for sure but in all seriousness I like the new music even more than the older stuff. This is coming from a fan that wore out several copies of AFD and bought the UYI albums the day they came out and loved them. And that's not because of the hype, the legend or whatever... I walked into it expecting to be severely disappointed and was quite surprised at what I heard.

Well, I think the Snakepit records are way underrated, especially the first one. That record is great, and would have been a beast with Axl's vocals and input.

And yeah, i think CD is a good record as well, it's just not and never will be a Guns N' Roses record. There should be no more GNR, as long as Axl and Slash can't figure out their problems, cause there is no GNR without the two.

I love the old band. I always enjoyed AFD,LIES , Illusions and even the incident :rolleyes:

And i really love the new band too!

Too many people around here waste their time with bitching around about how this is not GNR blah blah.

GNR is noit the only band where members have been replaced. When i look at the videos on youtube i can clearly see a band on fire. Maybe i am blind ? Who fucking knows...? What we see now is GNR and i wouldn't want the old band back.

Maybe i will get hateful responses for this but besides Izzy everybody in old GNR was replaceable even the godlike Slash who tries do do the same shit over and over again for the last 1,5 decades. Look at his albums and the incredible weak second VR album.

Axl clearly runs the show and always did. What he is doing now is just the logical evolution of this band.

Let's enjoy the new chapter in GNR ! Why is it so difficult for so mayn people around here ?

CD is a fucking masterpiece ! Take it or just leave ! Nobody needs to be here !

Axl does things his way and only his way and it takes a lot of balls to stand up against everybody and everything just to keep his integrity.

GNR lives and hopefully we will see more new music of them

cheers

I love the old band. I always enjoyed AFD,LIES , Illusions and even the incident :rolleyes:

Too many people around here waste their time with bitching around about how this is not GNR blah blah.

GNR is noit the only band where members have been replaced. When i look at the videos on youtube i can clearly see a band on fire. Maybe i am blind ? Who fucking knows...? What we see now is GNR and i wouldn't want the old band back.

Maybe i will get hateful responses for this but besides Izzy everybody in old GNR was replaceable even the godlike Slash who tries do do the same shit over and over again for the last 1,5 decades. Look at his albums and the incredible weak second VR album.

Axl clearly runs the show and always did. What he is doing now is just the logical evolution of this band.

Let's enjoy the new chapter in GNR ! Why is it so difficult for so mayn people around here ?

Axl does things his way and only his way and it takes a lot of balls to stand up against everybody and everything just to keep his integrity.

cheers

Well, you have your opinion, and I have mine on what is good or not. But this band is not GNR. It's ok for a band like Megadeth to only have Mustaine as the original, cause he wrote all the music and made all decisions anyway, but Axl wasn't that part of GNR before the others were forced out. Call it the Axl Rose band, and it would be legitimate. CD is a good record, but it still is what it is, and thats Axl's record, nothing more. It's a misuse of the name. Nobody except a few of the hardcore fans, and a bunch of the younger "hardcore" fans prefer the new band to the old. It's got nothing to do with bitching, but more to do that it's a shame people actually feels the new band is GNR. Where the fuck were you people back in the day?

And yeah, second VR album was very weak, but everything else Slash has done have been good. He is the only non-replaceable part in GNR besides Axl, and thats not denying Izzy's part of it, which were huge. But it's a fact. I cringe when I see the new members trying to be Slash. Finck failed at it, Ashba is better, but is still just another guitarist. I could easily live with Fortus as a backing guitar for Slash as long as it's no way to get Izzy there.

Slash made GNR what it was just as much as Axl. CD is no masterpiece, only GNR record that is a masterpiece is AFD.

Well, honestly I don't really care if others believe that the current band is GNR, it never will be, and that's a fact!

I just see it as two totally differents bands, who happens to share a name and a leadsinger.

I always talk about newguns and oldguns, easier that way.

I don't have that obession with the name, so I just don't really care.

Edited by MBRose

cheers

Well, you have your opinion, and I have mine on what is good or not. But this band is not GNR. It's ok for a band like Megadeth to only have Mustaine as the original, cause he wrote all the music and made all decisions anyway, but Axl wasn't that part of GNR before the others were forced out. Call it the Axl Rose band, and it would be legitimate. CD is a good record, but it still is what it is, and thats Axl's record, nothing more. It's a misuse of the name. Nobody except a few of the hardcore fans, and a bunch of the younger "hardcore" fans prefer the new band to the old. It's got nothing to do with bitching, but more to do that it's a shame people actually feels the new band is GNR. Where the fuck were you people back in the day?

And yeah, second VR album was very weak, but everything else Slash has done have been good. He is the only non-replaceable part in GNR besides Axl, and thats not denying Izzy's part of it, which were huge. But it's a fact. I cringe when I see the new members trying to be Slash. Finck failed at it, Ashba is better, but is still just another guitarist. I could easily live with Fortus as a backing guitar for Slash as long as it's no way to get Izzy there.

Slash made GNR what it was just as much as Axl. CD is no masterpiece, only GNR record that is a masterpiece is AFD.

Well, honestly I don't really care if others believe that the current band is GNR, it never will be, and that's a fact!

I disagree with you 100 %