"It will be a cold day in hell before a reunion"

ManetsBR

I just see it as two totally differents bands, who happens to share a name and a leadsinger.

I always talk about newguns and oldguns, easier that way.

I don't have that obession whith the name, so I just don't really care and so don't wine about it.

but you do feel the need to make a division between the 2 bands when referring to one of them

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just see it as two totally differents bands, who happens to share a name and a leadsinger.

I don't have that obession whith the name, so I just don't really care and so don't wine about it.

but you do feel the need to make a division between the 2 bands when referring to one of them

There's ozzy era sabbath and dio era sabbath. Still the same band. maybe someone prefers the one from another but that don't change the fact that is Black Sabbath...

Yeah no doubt about that!

I will not lie, I love old guns and I like new guns a lot. But there is a difference.....

But you know I am 37...already 22 years loving Guns, so ofcourse...

Cause not only there is a change of bandmembers, but also in the music and energy.

For now it's like this, maybe my feelings will change in time, getting used to it, but I am not there yet, if ever....

Edited by MBRose

It'd be easy to pretend nothing's changed, that the band out now is still GNR. Fans of other bands with revolving door lineups do it all the time (Deep Purple, Allman Brothers, Black Crowes, Whitesnake, etc.), It'd be the easiest thing in the world...

Who is pretending nothing has changed? Who here does not already know GnR does not have Slash or Duff in the lineup?

When I first saw photos of the early 2000s lineup with Buckethead and Fink, I thought it was visually ridiculous, like some stupid circus and it was killing everything I loved about the band. Then I heard the music they were doing and was absolutely stunned by how much I liked it.

I am not "pretending" the newer lineup as GnR, I accept it as GnR.

Is there a fan base of a band that is more self loathing and hostile toward the band itself than the GNR base?

The Smashing Pumpkins' fanbase comes very close. Much like with GN'R, there is the "old" Smashing Pumpkins and their untouchable holy legacy, versus the "new" Pumpkins, with a different musical direction and only one original member left. This obviously divides the fans as they cannot agree on what is The Smashing Pumpkins and what is not.

Is there a fan base of a band that is more self loathing and hostile toward the band itself than the GNR base?

The Smashing Pumpkins' fanbase comes very close. Much like with GN'R, there is the "old" Smashing Pumpkins and their untouchable holy legacy, versus the "new" Pumpkins, with a different musical direction and only one original member left. This obviously divides the fans as they cannot agree on what is The Smashing Pumpkins and what is not.

Nice comparison

Yeah, but Corgan was always The Smashing Pumpkins. He wrote most of the material from the start of the 'band'.

It's much closer to a Trent Reznor - NIN situation imo.

Yeah, but Corgan was always The Smashing Pumpkins. He wrote most of the material from the start of the 'band'.

It's much closer to a Trent Reznor - NIN situation imo.

That's true. Still, people want Iha and Darcy back :rofl-lol:

The NIN comparison is better, GN'Rs history has more in common with NINs than TSPs story, but the fan forums of TSP seem to be similar to GN'Rs.

I love the old band. I always enjoyed AFD,LIES , Illusions and even the incident :rolleyes:

And i really love the new band too!

Too many people around here waste their time with bitching around about how this is not GNR blah blah.

GNR is noit the only band where members have been replaced. When i look at the videos on youtube i can clearly see a band on fire. Maybe i am blind ? Who fucking knows...? What we see now is GNR and i wouldn't want the old band back.

Maybe i will get hateful responses for this but besides Izzy everybody in old GNR was replaceable even the godlike Slash who tries do do the same shit over and over again for the last 1,5 decades. Look at his albums and the incredible weak second VR album.

Axl clearly runs the show and always did. What he is doing now is just the logical evolution of this band.

Let's enjoy the new chapter in GNR ! Why is it so difficult for so mayn people around here ?

CD is a fucking masterpiece ! Take it or just leave ! Nobody needs to be here !

Axl does things his way and only his way and it takes a lot of balls to stand up against everybody and everything just to keep his integrity.

GNR lives and hopefully we will see more new music of them

cheers

Well, you have your opinion, and I have mine on what is good or not. But this band is not GNR. It's ok for a band like Megadeth to only have Mustaine as the original, cause he wrote all the music and made all decisions anyway, but Axl wasn't that part of GNR before the others were forced out. Call it the Axl Rose band, and it would be legitimate. CD is a good record, but it still is what it is, and thats Axl's record, nothing more. It's a misuse of the name. Nobody except a few of the hardcore fans, and a bunch of the younger "hardcore" fans prefer the new band to the old. It's got nothing to do with bitching, but more to do that it's a shame people actually feels the new band is GNR. Where the fuck were you people back in the day?

And yeah, second VR album was very weak, but everything else Slash has done have been good. He is the only non-replaceable part in GNR besides Axl, and thats not denying Izzy's part of it, which were huge. But it's a fact. I cringe when I see the new members trying to be Slash. Finck failed at it, Ashba is better, but is still just another guitarist. I could easily live with Fortus as a backing guitar for Slash as long as it's no way to get Izzy there.

Slash made GNR what it was just as much as Axl. CD is no masterpiece, only GNR record that is a masterpiece is AFD.

Well, honestly I don't really care if others believe that the current band is GNR, it never will be, and that's a fact!

I disagree with you 100 %

i agree 100000000 %

It'd be easy to pretend nothing's changed, that the band out now is still GNR. Fans of other bands with revolving door lineups do it all the time (Deep Purple, Allman Brothers, Black Crowes, Whitesnake, etc.), It'd be the easiest thing in the world...

Who is pretending nothing has changed? Who here does not already know GnR does not have Slash or Duff in the lineup?

When I first saw photos of the early 2000s lineup with Buckethead and Fink, I thought it was visually ridiculous, like some stupid circus and it was killing everything I loved about the band. Then I heard the music they were doing and was absolutely stunned by how much I liked it.

I am not "pretending" the newer lineup as GnR, I accept it as GnR.

that's also the easiest thing in the world

I love the old band. I always enjoyed AFD,LIES , Illusions and even the incident :rolleyes:

And i really love the new band too!

Too many people around here waste their time with bitching around about how this is not GNR blah blah.

GNR is noit the only band where members have been replaced. When i look at the videos on youtube i can clearly see a band on fire. Maybe i am blind ? Who fucking knows...? What we see now is GNR and i wouldn't want the old band back.

Maybe i will get hateful responses for this but besides Izzy everybody in old GNR was replaceable even the godlike Slash who tries do do the same shit over and over again for the last 1,5 decades. Look at his albums and the incredible weak second VR album.

Axl clearly runs the show and always did. What he is doing now is just the logical evolution of this band.

Let's enjoy the new chapter in GNR ! Why is it so difficult for so mayn people around here ?

CD is a fucking masterpiece ! Take it or just leave ! Nobody needs to be here !

Axl does things his way and only his way and it takes a lot of balls to stand up against everybody and everything just to keep his integrity.

GNR lives and hopefully we will see more new music of them

cheers

Well, you have your opinion, and I have mine on what is good or not. But this band is not GNR. It's ok for a band like Megadeth to only have Mustaine as the original, cause he wrote all the music and made all decisions anyway, but Axl wasn't that part of GNR before the others were forced out. Call it the Axl Rose band, and it would be legitimate. CD is a good record, but it still is what it is, and thats Axl's record, nothing more. It's a misuse of the name. Nobody except a few of the hardcore fans, and a bunch of the younger "hardcore" fans prefer the new band to the old. It's got nothing to do with bitching, but more to do that it's a shame people actually feels the new band is GNR. Where the fuck were you people back in the day?

And yeah, second VR album was very weak, but everything else Slash has done have been good. He is the only non-replaceable part in GNR besides Axl, and thats not denying Izzy's part of it, which were huge. But it's a fact. I cringe when I see the new members trying to be Slash. Finck failed at it, Ashba is better, but is still just another guitarist. I could easily live with Fortus as a backing guitar for Slash as long as it's no way to get Izzy there.

Slash made GNR what it was just as much as Axl. CD is no masterpiece, only GNR record that is a masterpiece is AFD.

Well, honestly I don't really care if others believe that the current band is GNR, it never will be, and that's a fact!

I disagree with you 100 %

i agree 100000000 %

100% and 100000000 % are the same thing.....

There's ozzy era sabbath and dio era sabbath. Still the same band. maybe someone prefers the one from another but that don't change the fact that is Black Sabbath...

Black sabbath lost one member of the band, whereas gnr lost ALL but one original member

Black sabbath lost one member of the band, whereas gnr lost ALL but one original member

My point is that a band can have different line-ups... And the examples are so many (and Im not talkin' but losing just one member...)

Black Sabbath lost all but one member as well.

Tony Iommi was the only original member of Sabbath from 1984-1992 and from 1992-1995.

Tony Iommi was the only original member of Sabbath from 1984-1992 and from 1992-1995.

Who's to say you have at least one original member? If BS was down to zero original members, just a former roadie named Beavis that knew the riffs and some hired hands--would there be a way you'd accept this still as BS? I myself would think it was still pure BS. .

Hi BBA

Who's to say you have at least one original member? If BS was down to zero original members, just a former roadie named Beavis that knew the riffs and some hired hands--would there be a way you'd accept this still as BS? I myself would think it was still pure BS. .

Hi BBA

You think BBA even knows who Desmond the Moon Bear is? You really should stop with that "Hi BBA" crap. I just joined here, and you are already accusing me of something. I should report you. You didn't even acknowledge what I said. I should have just left you there mumbling to yourself instead of replying to you.

Axl Rose should just call the band 'Axl Rose' and move on instead of using up the good will value of the original band. Leave what's in the past in the past.

Hi BBA

Hi BBA

You think BBA even knows who Desmond the Moon Bear is? You really should stop with that "Hi BBA" crap. I just joined here, and you are already accusing me of something. I should report you. You didn't even acknowledge what I said. I should have just left you there mumbling to yourself instead of replying to you.

Axl Rose should just call the band 'Axl Rose' and move on instead of using up the good will value of the original band. Leave what's in the past in the past.

Maybe you should move on, he's been playing under the name without the OG members for 10 years... get over it.

It's just a name

If bono would get rid of the all the other bandmembers an keeps playing all the old songs with musicians who constantly routate, would it than be still U2?

It would still be U2 if Bono had the rights and kept calling it U2. It might be important to Bono, as it is to Axl, to keep the name which is legally his. But to anyone else, it's just a label that represents a group of people making a certain sound of music at any given time.

And you might not want to follow that band anymore. But if you still like the sound and want to see the shows with that group of people making that sound, who cares if the label that's used is U2, Guns n Roses, or Fred?

Do you care that my label is Orsys? It's more about what I say, no? If someone's member name here is Axl Rose (or Saul Hudson) are you not going to read them because that name belongs to Axl and they shouldn't use it?

Edited by Orsys