Jim Morrison

Vincent Vega

It's hard to say really. I mean, he was a writer first and foremost right? So I'm sure he would have been capable of writing something great. Although, on L.A.Woman it seems as if Jim's voice was getting weaker.

December 8th is a fucked up day for rock n' roll history.

Happy birthday Jim.

Morrision mostly brought lyrics, if you listen to "Other Voices", which was partly recorded while Jim was still alive, you can get an idea of what the next album would've sounded like.

The first 3 albums were more or less written and recorded around the same time. Texas Radio was from '68.

He had no problem coming up with lyrics, but I think they would've broken up by 1974. Most of the bands around in '67 either radically changed their music, or broke up. Even Pink Floyd almost broke up after "Dark Side of the Moon".

I think he still had the potential to create great art. Don't know if music or something else, but I believe he's greatest work was ahead of him.

I remember watching a doc on The Doors and Jim spoke about how he never wrote a happy song and that he was looking forward to do it in the future.

Jim hated Soft Parade and got purposely drunk during the sessions. They had to redo a lot of the tracks.

Anyone know what Jim's influences were? Both musically and in terms of literature?

Literature is easy. "Rimbaud in a leather jacket" and all that. On The Road changed everything for him. Lyrically he borrows from Blake, Anais Nin, John Rechy and Celine off the top of my head. Also was into Fante if I recall (who is also the guy who got Bukowski into writing).

Musically, apologies for stating the obvious again, it is said he loved old blues singers but when Elvis came about he got obsessed with him for a bit.

Hey Miser, if you could go back in time and suck one dick, would it be Jim Morrison's?

That's a toughie.

Mick or Keef?

Mick would probably be more into it, if the Bowie rumors are true.

Actually, see here's the thing...I'm straight. But I can admire the minds and talents of men. Morrison wasn't a "hero", but he was amazing in many ways. I don't have to want to fuck someone to really love that.

Hey Miser, if you could go back in time and suck one dick, would it be Jim Morrison's?

I lol'd.

I don't get Jim Morrison today and I probably won't get him in 10years. Just not my thing.

I don't think that even those who were closest to him "Got" him.

He wrote some amazing lyrics and poetry, which was put to music by some great musicians. It's too bad they couldn't have lasted a bit longer.

He was a terrific blues singer. Its no wonder that Elvis was a major influence. Another reason why the 1960s generation's character assassination of the King is not only wrong, but makes no sense.

What do you mean their character assassination of him? He had a huge comeback in '68...But before that had been doing movies and the like. Besides, I've heard people say being in the Army changed him, that he wasn't the same Elvis when he got out.

Jim hated Soft Parade and got purposely drunk during the sessions. They had to redo a lot of the tracks.

Anyone know what Jim's influences were? Both musically and in terms of literature?

But it was still great. I see it like Jim's Vegas years.

I think he liked The Kinks and Elvis.

But it was still great. I see it like Jim's Vegas years.

I think he liked The Kinks and Elvis.

I think of Jim less as a blues singer (don't really see that at all, actually) and more of a crooner like Sinatra and Dean Martin.

He only is really bluesy in style on Morrison Hotel and LA Woman, and that's because his voice was a little rougher from all his smoking and drinking by then.

He was a terrific blues singer. Its no wonder that Elvis was a major influence. Another reason why the 1960s generation's character assassination of the King is not only wrong, but makes no sense.

What do you mean their character assassination of him? He had a huge comeback in '68...But before that had been doing movies and the like. Besides, I've heard people say being in the Army changed him, that he wasn't the same Elvis when he got out.

The '68 comeback and the acclaim for his subsequent albums didn't really have to do with the kids who were buying Beatles and Doors albums, it had more to do with him concentrating on music full-time again and coming up with some of his best work.

This short essay I wrote awhile back should explain it, even if you don't know Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari and their book A Thousand Plateaus:

The discussion of American weeds over trees must inevitably fall on America’s sovereign cultural object, The King. Elvis Aaron Presley should be discussed in terms of weeds and not trees. In the process of proving this I will find it necessary to partake in some criticism of the arborifying tendencies of the 1960s counterculture.

In his career and personal history, Elvis embodies the American rhizome. He is a result of diverse lineages and a typically American interconnectivity of traditions. This is what most leftist thought misses, thought that perpetuates Elvis the reactionary force, avowed racist, and above all, cultural thief, grinning to the bank on African-American toil, a cheap reproduction. In short, this school of thought sees Elvis as a homogenization of everything ancient, harmful, and in need of being left behind, a tree to be chopped down by the liberalizing blades of counterculture. But in this they are only providing ready grist for a good old-fashioned dichotomy mill fueled by the “most classical and well reflected, oldest, and weariest kind of thought” (5).

Elvis is more truly a particularly shining product of the continuing American rhizome-work, found in patches of weeds to be traced in the language of multiculturalism. Elvis is too compromised as an individual and cultural icon to serve as some looming symbol of oppressive whiteness. He was the Memphis truck driver with Cherokee ancestry who delivered the fatal blow to aesthetic segregation of the white and black musical arts in America, an act of segregation that had always lied, but needed the contradiction that Elvis was in order for its true colors to become observable. This was not reactionary, and its waves undoubtedly contributed to the surge of literal desegregation to come. America needed someone to bring the scariest, most handsome articulations of blackness to its television screens. This comment is not to be taken, however, for the same sort of cheap reproductionism I have condemned. Musically, Elvis is intensely rhizomatic, with the accents of white Country and Bluegrass pioneers like Bill Monroe as well as black Blues artists such as Arthur “Big Boy” Crudup pulsing through his various sounds. As for Elvis’s being “straight-up racist,” to mention an unfortunate quote of Chuck D.’s, there is little to argue. Elvis broke laws in some of his friendships and social activities with African Americans, and unlike the British practitioners of Blues music whom the enlightened 1960s generation welcomed and posed against him in dichotomous opposition, he always gave proper songwriting credits to the black artists that he covered. Elvis the thief is a denial of the rhizome and the result of bad binarization that begins in seeing trees where weeds blow free. And you would think they’d be grateful.

I believe it was Little Richard who said, something to affect of "truth of the matter was, blacks borrowed as much from him, as he did from them."

• 3 weeks later...