Jim Morrison

Vincent Vega

• 2 weeks later...

A book I read on him said one of the engineers working on LA Woman felt it was probably going to be his last vocal album, in that he "destroyed" his voice...Do you agree?

Do you think his voice really changed...Or was the gruff sounding voice just an affectation on LA Woman to add to the bluesy feel?

Bump.

Did you know when Jim died, the Doors approached a young Iggy Pop to replace him, but Iggy turned them down out of respect to Jim?

It would've been post-Stooges, pre - "Raw Power". But I also read they wanted to work with Iggy 10 years ago, prob. the same thing Ian Astbury wound up taking on.

Jim.

My gf's visually and musically obsessed with him...and his pictures always look weird to me.

Animal-like eyes, huge lips, Big wavy hair. I guess he was definitely different..

He comes from a different time. I mean the kids wearing their pants to their knees and their stupid haircuts any better today?

i think Jim would have quit the music business all together and be a full time poet. that what he wanted and that's what Pam wanted.

I think he would've kept writing poems, the Doors would've kept going for a few more years, maybe they would've had a different version of "American Prayer" out, but would've also focused on screenplays, directing, and using his royalty money and touring income to create a production studio. The touring was too lucrative for him to give up, and they had a setback when venues refused to book the band.

By 1970, Jim wanted to get into acting in and directing films. He actually cut his hair short, shaved his beard and auditioned for the starring role in the movie Summertree . He was turned down for the part, which ultimately went to Michael Douglas. He also auditioned for a few other movies including a Steve McQueen movie, and was turned down; This rather depressed him and he began doing wild stuff, jumping of cars at high speed, drinking heavily; A lot of his depression in this period influenced LA Woman.

Here's Jim in the Summer of 1970 with the shortish hair/clean shaven look he had adopted in the hope of getting the part in the movie:

jimMorrison.jpg

Edited by Indigo Child

Is depression that cool for everyone?

If you're Jim Morrison, Axl Rose, yes.

If you're Kurt Cobain, no.

Axl Rose swallowed an entire bottle of pills, tried to kill himself and failed. Fact.

It's actually a nicer way of going than having your brains splattered all over the wall.

And him doing that inspired a great song. What did Kurt Cobain fellating the shotgun inspire other than a bloody mess?

Edited by Indigo Child

Axl Rose swallowed an entire bottle of pills, tried to kill himself and failed. Fact.

It's actually a nicer way of going than having your brains splattered all over the wall.

And him doing that inspired a great song. What did Kurt Cobain fellating the shotgun inspire other than a bloody mess?

The point is, Axl Rose tried to kill himself. He's attempted suicide. People seem to want to play the whole "Axl's not a pussy like Kurt" when in reality, he is. Not that I personally view suicide as weak because I don't. Anyone who's actually able to attempt it obviously has some genetic deficiencies imo. But the point is valid. Axl Rose wanted to die and tried to do it.

The point is, Axl Rose tried to kill himself. He's attempted suicide. People seem to want to play the whole "Axl's not a pussy like Kurt" when in reality, he is. Not that I personally view suicide as weak because I don't. Anyone who's actually able to attempt it obviously has some genetic deficiencies imo. But the point is valid. Axl Rose wanted to die and tried to do it.

Everyone in the entertainment industry has some kind of mental illness, whether its' addiction, suicidal behaviors or just geunine oddness.

Thankfully Axl didn't succeed.

Everyone in the entertainment industry has some kind of mental illness, whether its' addiction, suicidal behaviors or just geunine oddness.

I find it intriguing that more times then not, that's true. It's strange and ironic the way it works. The odd ones, the eccentric ones, they're born into this world and mocked from day one. Everyone does their best to mock and ridicule them for being that way. Then, at some point, they find out that through this "weirdness" they have talents and gifts that the "normal" people don't and use it to become famous off the back of those who tried to tear them down. Then, all of a sudden, they're not weird, they're gods. They're put up on some pedestal and worshiped by the people who use to say they were wastes of life. It's very weird to me.

Think of it like this. Suppose Cobain,Lennon,Axl or Dylan had never listened to music. Chances are, all of them would have been complete failures, unable to function in life etc. Total gods in one area, total failures in everything else.

Edited by Nintari

I find it intriguing that more times then not, that's true. It's strange and ironic the way it works. The odd ones, the eccentric ones, they're born into this world and mocked from day one. Everyone does their best to mock and ridicule them for being that way. Then, at some point, they find out that through this "weirdness" they have talents and gifts that the "normal" people don't and use it to become famous off the back of those who tried to tear them down. Then, all of a sudden, they're not weird, they're gods. They're put up on some pedestal and worshiped by the people who use to say they were wastes of life. It's very weird to me.

Think of it like this. Suppose Cobain,Lennon,Axl or Dylan had never listened to music. Chances are, all of them would have been complete failures, unable to function in life etc. Total gods in one area, total failures in everything else.

And then you have the people who get mocked but never ever actually have any talent.

And they end up miserable people.

By 1970, Jim wanted to get into acting in and directing films. He actually cut his hair short, shaved his beard and auditioned for the starring role in the movie Summertree . He was turned down for the part, which ultimately went to Michael Douglas. He also auditioned for a few other movies including a Steve McQueen movie, and was turned down; This rather depressed him and he began doing wild stuff, jumping of cars at high speed, drinking heavily; A lot of his depression in this period influenced LA Woman.

Here's Jim in the Summer of 1970 with the shortish hair/clean shaven look he had adopted in the hope of getting the part in the movie:

jimMorrison.jpg

Are you sure that's from 1970? It looks like late 1968. His hair was short like that around the time of the Hollywood Bowl.