The General played several times as the concert intro

ManetsBR

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not biting. I refuse to listen to even a snippet of new material. I'm going into whatever Axl puts out next completely fresh with virgin ears. When I got CD, I had already been listening to 80% of the record for YEARS.

Not this time.

Well, I don't think there's much you can do. If you ever watched a video of the concert Intro or Intro/Chinese Democracy you listened to it.

Im guessing that if it is part of a song its definetly an intro like the voices b4 CD. Who's with me?

Yeah, probably. They probably cut it just before the killer riff starts!

I really doubt that twitter message was serious.

If it's real though, the General shall be epic.

We know for a fact strings were done on many unheard songs.

Why do you "really doubt"?

There are no reasons to be a joke, it would be very weird. And also, there's is no problem in revealing. It was actually good to Guns N' Roses because now we know that anyone that ever claimed to have The General really had it.

It's true.

Yeah, why wouldn't it be? Unless... GNR Twitter was hacked!

Well, i think we could agree that YOU aren't a very reliable source.

The last buckethead interview was the most bizarre thing i've seen in a long time at any gnr related site.

But, "The General" used as intro is a thing that some people knew for a long time, also. I'm surprised that Gn'R twitter confirmed that.

What would even be cooler than a new song would be for forum members to stop using the word "epic" to describe every potential new GnR song. (And no, it isn't funny to respond to this post with epic in your response).

Why the hell it bothers you?

Music shouldn't be labeled. And attaching the term epic to 50 gnr songs is ludicrous. Anytime we hear a new leak you have people labeling it as "epic." Because of estranged and november rain and the fact they have several "long" songs, somehow GnR is now the king of "epic" songs.

It also cheapens the term. GnR had no "epic" songs on Chinese Democracy. Just because a song is 7 minutes long doesn't make it epic. It makes it long.

Its like in sports. Every young player is referred to as the "next" whichever superstar from the city they play in. The next Michael Jordan. The next kobe bryant.

Why put a label or box around every GnR song that comes out? Why not just enjoy the music for what it is.

What would even be cooler than a new song would be for forum members to stop using the word "epic" to describe every potential new GnR song. (And no, it isn't funny to respond to this post with epic in your response).

Music shouldn't be labeled. And attaching the term epic to 50 gnr songs is ludicrous. Anytime we hear a new leak you have people labeling it as "epic." Because of estranged and november rain and the fact they have several "long" songs, somehow GnR is now the king of "epic" songs.

It also cheapens the term. GnR had no "epic" songs on Chinese Democracy. Just because a song is 7 minutes long doesn't make it epic. It makes it long.

Its like in sports. Every young player is referred to as the "next" whichever superstar from the city they play in. The next Michael Jordan. The next kobe bryant.

Why put a label or box around every GnR song that comes out? Why not just enjoy the music for what it is.

Because sometimes that word is appropriate for describing some Gn'R songs. I think There Was A Time is such a song.

Man, I can't wait to hear this song...

Dj said the next album was coming out soon rock3

It would be nice if Axl gave his fans some good news for Christmas. B)

This would make my year!! Really out of all the bands i follow(Metallica, Megadeth, Faith no More etc), there is no follow up album that i look forward to more then the new Guns album. I'm not sure if its the mix of guitars and synth, or the mix of rock and epic music, or just Axl's voice on top of a good riff/piano line, but i couldn't care less when the next Metallica album comes out, give me Chidem II!!!! Please Axl, make an announcement of some sort!

Not biting. I refuse to listen to even a snippet of new material. I'm going into whatever Axl puts out next completely fresh with virgin ears. When I got CD, I had already been listening to 80% of the record for YEARS.

Not this time.

If you've seen them live or listened to any bootlegs from this tour then you've already heard the bit that is being talked about. If you haven't, done cave in now!

Just messing, there's barely enough there to write home about. I'm with you though, the next CD I want to be completely fresh. I still enjoyed Chinese Democracy but it would have been nice to not have heard anything at all.

Not this time.

If you've seen them live or listened to any bootlegs from this tour then you've already heard the bit that is being talked about. If you haven't, done cave in now!

Just messing, there's barely enough there to write home about. I'm with you though, the next CD I want to be completely fresh. I still enjoyed Chinese Democracy but it would have been nice to not have heard anything at all.

Thats true but at the time we had no choice, we didn't even know if the album was coming out! It still took almost 2 years after the first leaks came out for the record to be released.

Because sometimes that word is appropriate for describing some Gn'R songs. I think There Was A Time is such a song.

No. Because epic means more than just a song being long. Epic means that it is a life-changer. A song that will live forever. Something that fans will be talking about 20 years later. As much as I enjoy TWAT, it certainly didn't have any impact on music other than for die-hard guns fans.

No. Because epic means more than just a song being long. Epic means that it is a life-changer. A song that will live forever. Something that fans will be talking about 20 years later. As much as I enjoy TWAT, it certainly didn't have any impact on music other than for die-hard guns fans.

What are some songs that you would consider epic?

Yeah, every video I saw on youtube uses this intro. But it's not The General, I remember someone saying it was from a movie.

It's not from a movie. We've known forever that it's an original piece of music.

Are you guys talking about the Jaws style intro?

I Believe so.

I was thinking the jaws one, not this one... this one has only been played recently right?

Epic in my opinion:

Don't Cry... why? because as a musician, I was blown away at how they used Am, Dm, G, C for the verses, and in the bridge after the solo, you get Dm G, C, Am... they just bumped it ahead a chord and made it epic...

Rocket Queen is epic, especially the version on the Live in Tokyo video.. that entire outro is magic.

Locomotive, musically brilliant and the lyric 'loco' 'motive' 'crazy motive'... a great double meaning lyrically by Axl.

Coma is epic....

To me an epic song is usually one that gets more exciting after the solo and bridge. Usually songs finish off with a chorus and it's over after that. But a lot of GNR songs get even more interesting after the solo/bridge.

Obv. Estranged is epic. Not so sure I would slap November Rain in there, just because the beginning is so dragged out. However, it definitely nails it home once 'I know it's hard to keep an open heart...' kicks in. That point on, is definitely epic.

Other songs outside of the GNR world:

Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody, I Want It All, Love of My Life,

Aerosmith: Dream On, What it Takes, Janie's Got A Gun, Amazing

Alanis: Uninvited, That I Would Be Good, Not As We, Simple Together

Lenny Kravitz: Can't Get You Off my Mind, Circus, Are You Gonna Go My Way, Believe (outstandingly EPIC!!!), Stand By My Woman

Metallica: Blackened, One, Nothing Else Matters, Unforgiven

Tea Party: Correspondences, Bazaar, Halcyon Days, Temptation, The Badger, The River, Sister Awake, Luxuria, Cathartik, Interzone, Mantra

Big Wreck: That Song, The Oaf

Van Halen: Don't Tell Me, Not Enough,

I could really go on forever...