Izzy was the irreplaceable one, not Slash

Vincent Vega

To the public, Axl and Slash were the face of GN'R, and to the mainstream public, GN'R would be GN'R if it was Axl, Slash and a bunch of Hip Hop guys.

But let's look at it beyond the public eye, to the more important, creative level. Axl and Slash are said by hardcore fans to be this dynamic duo, but they were two guys who couldn't get anything done of any substance without Izzy there between them. I mean Izzy left in 1991 and Slash left in 1996 and in those five years, they didn't come up with one original thing TOGETHER. Yeah, Axl might've wrote lyrics, and Slash might've wrote some riffs which Axl liked, but they never came cohesively together and weren't able to put together even just one meager original single in that period.

Notice too...Izzy left and they brought Gilby in. Gilby wasn't really, on a songwriting level, a suitable replacement, and he was chosen at the last minute not for his songwriting ability but only because he could learn GN'R's songs in two weeks. After he was fired, according to Slash, they auditioned ten or so rhythm guitarists, none of whom Slash liked. Even Paul, who Axl liked, it wasn't certain that Paul would be a "real" member and tour--From Axl's perspective, it was basically an attempt to create a new Izzy--a new go between between he and Slash. That didn't work, so it seems finding a true replacement for Izzy was pretty much impossible.

However, Slash leaves in October '96 and by January 1997 Axl (on the advice of Matt Sorum) has hired Robin Finck, and it seems Duff also approved as he stuck around and worked with Robin for the next 7 months. Robin stayed in the band for another decade and worked on CD and with Robin, GN'R had a new, original single out in just two years (Oh My God), whereas in 5 years you couldn't get one original composition released by Axl and Slash working together without Izzy.

I'd say Slash, from the creative end, was a lot more replaceable than Izzy was. Slash writes good solos and riffs, but we've seen what his material is like without a great songwriter like Izzy laying the foundation for those riffs and solos.

Edited by Indigo Child

It's more based on the personality conflicts between Axl and Slash, not really just because Slash isn't good at songwriting.

Not that he is good at it.

The only guy, in retrospect, who could've bridged the gap between Axl and Slash would've been Dave Navarro had he joined.

An Axl, Slash and Dave lineup could've created some sonic masterpieces.

Neither one was replacable, quit failing at talking shit about Slash. Any album without either one of them would be terrible, which we saw.

No, actually the album we got without Slash was pretty damn good.

Yeah but in most peoples opinions not close to as good as AFD or even the UYI albums....

In most people's opinion Rap is the greatest music ever and Lady Gaga is a musical genius.

Neither one was replacable, quit failing at talking shit about Slash. Any album without either one of them would be terrible, which we saw.

Yeah but in most peoples opinions not close to as good as AFD or even the UYI albums....

In most people's opinion Rap is the greatest music ever and Lady Gaga is a musical genius.

The same people who think rap is the greatest music ever and consider Lady Gaga a musical genius didn't like Chinese Democracy either.

The same people who think rap is the greatest music ever and consider Lady Gaga a musical genius didn't like Chinese Democracy either.

That's my point, actually.

It still sold a lot of copies and yet you guys act like NO ONE likes it. Not true.

And the fact that it wasn't the biggest selling album ever, well, rock in general is basically dead, and for a band that hadn't released an album and had kept a pretty low profile in context since 1993 it did pretty damn good.

It still sold a lot of copies and yet you guys act like NO ONE likes it. Not true.

And the fact that it wasn't the biggest selling album ever, well, rock in general is basically dead, and for a band that hadn't released an album and had kept a pretty low profile in context since 1993 it did pretty damn good.

The point your trying to make goes the other way as well - it drops Appetite for Destruction to the level of Lady Gaga. Well, not exactly. Here's how it goes though. You're trying to say just because some people like something doesn't mean everybody does - which is correct. A majority opinion on something subjective doesn't determine the quality, as you are suggesting with Lady Gaga fans not liking anything to do with rock anyways. However, that point can go in favor of Appetite/Illusions or Chinese Democracy. Thus, this whole debate is pretty irrevelant if you're stating yourself that you understand different people have different tastes/opinions especially in the music world where rock's popularity is steadily declining. Some people will like Appetite and some people will like Chinese Democracy. Others like both, like myself, and don't consider one to be superior to the other. It's all a matter of taste and preference.

That being said, I don't disagree with you (Chinese Democracy did indeed do well considering the lack of promotion) but that comparison kind of kills the merit of your initial argument.

• 2 weeks later...

For a gnr album is sold poorly and given that best buy paid 14 million for a US only exclusive means they at least had higher expectations for the sales.

Also at the end of the day I bought it but having listened to it repeatedly I don't like it, save for 4 songs. I'm really not sure at this stage if I woud buy CDII, maybe 2nd hand from the bargain bucket, mabe not at all.

As to your original point Izzy was irreplaceable as was Slash. The whole band was synergy that they will never replace while apart.

I think Axl would like to be seen as GnR and that he could do it without the AFD guys. Well for me CD has only gone to show that he can't do it alone. I also freely admit that the other AFD members have come no where near what they achieved when they were together either.

That's why I'd love to see them together the greatest band, back producing the greatest music!!

Yeah, but Axl and CD were supposed to revive rock. At least those were the expectations and they he failed on that level.

Yes, Izzy was the glue guy in GNR. I have been saying that for years.

I will admit Chinese Democracy isnt nearly as bad as I say it is (half of the songs are great, the other half absolutely blow). Its not a terrible album, its a great album. But since Axl kept the name you have to compare it to AFD and UYI, and CD isnt even close to being on the same level as those two.

Slash's contribtutions on Slither, Die By the Sword, Fall to Pieces, and Starlight and just as good if not better than Axl's top 4 songs on Chinese Democracy. Indigo forgot to take her meds.

Slither is a good song. Fall to Pieces is musically good but IMO Scott Weiland doesn't add to it.

Edited by Indigo Child

Ok, back on topic. I do believe Slash was more replaceable than Izzy, if we talk about songwriting.

But on stage, it is the other way arround. Still miss those guys and Duff too!

The only one who can't be replaced is Axl.

I like the new band too though, but different.

Edited by MBRose

Fall to Pieces is musically good but IMO Scott Weiland doesn't add to it.

I actually prefer the way Myles sang it on the recent solo album tour...I think he killed on all the VR songs.....pity he will not be the new lead singer for NuVR as I think he is the perfect fit for the old material.....

I haven't heard him on any VR material but on the GN'R material he sounded like Axl from 2002 :no:

• 3 weeks later...

Izzy's songwriting was irreplaceable and Slash's guitar sound/creativity was irreplaceable. Both were fundamental in setting GN'R apart from other rock bands in the 1980's. Axl's voice is also irreplaceable, obviously. You lose any one of the three and you don't have GN'R anymore, IMHO.