Matt Sorum says, Axl played the London show for Duff not for the audience.

Dude on the Couch

Axl Rose performed for Duff McKagan rather than the London audience when the former Guns n’Roses bassist made a guest appearance, says ex-drummer Matt Sorum.

McKagan joined the new lineup of GnR for a handful of songs in October after he and Rose happened to meet when they were staying in the same hotel.

Now Sorum, who replaced original GnR drummer Steven Adler before the band collapsed in 1993, says that during those songs Rose would have been performing towards McKagan rather than the crowd.

He tells Bravewords’ Mitch Lafon: “You could tell he was singing more for Duff than for the crowd – a ‘Look, I still got it’ kind of thing.

“Duff’s a completely different guy from when he was in Guns n’Roses – he’s running tow different business columns, he’s gone to school and he’s got a family. Axl probably didn’t recognise him.”

But like classic-era guitarist Slash, Sorum doesn’t believe the move has made a full reunion more likely, observing: “It was a very organic thing and Duff hasn’t had very much conversation with him since then. But of course all the vultures swooped and said, ‘It’s going to happen’. Well, I don’t know – it’s one guy.”

The drummer admits he doesn’t remember much about his time with GnR, although he describes it as “a great ride, probably one of the greatest times in my life, even though it wasn’t easy.”

But he says: “The reality of Axl’s feelings towards Duff are blown our of proportion. He’s a very sensitive guy at times – I know deep down he has feelings for all those guys. The communication factor is the biggest breakdown. People get between you and the truth.”

http://www.rockaaa.com/news/axl-played-guest-spot-songs-to-duff-says-sorum-1543

I thought is was interesting how Matt says Duff hasn't talked to Axl "much" since the encounter. Does that mean that they have in fact talked since London? If so, I wonder what kind of things were discussed. Reagrdless, it's great to hear the two of them are communicating again.

• Like 1

But surely by putting the show on for Duff he is then putting it on for the audience? The two compliment each other perfectly.

And the "haven't talked much" thing could just be their going for a meal the day after the show. It's probably best not to read into it.

Really Matt??? I know for a fact that is the only video you have seen of GNR this tour so how the fuck would you know?!? and if you did see another video of GNR playing this tour you can still see Axl giving the same amount of effort! And all you fuckers who are hanging on to whatever anti new GNR BS you can grab on to, who will agree with Matt, show me one post where you or any of you other people said anything to that effect of what Mat said before he said it. Yes Axl was happy to have Duff out there and so was the rest of the band. but it wasnt whatever the fuck Matt is saying. Leave it to Matt Fucking Sorum to put a stain on what every GNR fan (new or old) did not argue about and both types of fans could equally enjoy until now. Thanks Matt!!

I think Sorum worries that he won't be part of a GNR reunion if it were ever to happen. I sure as hell hope he's not behind the kit if it happens. He's the worst drummer they've ever had.

Matt who?

exactly :violin: Matt always has things to say about Axl. The guy needs to find a hobby, honestly.

He's probably just answering a question. I don't think he'd go out of his way to bring Axl up. He's not destitute like Steven Adler.

Edited by ITW 2012

I think Sorum worries that he won't be part of a GNR reunion if it were ever to happen. I sure as hell hope he's not behind the kit if it happens. He's the worst drummer they've ever had.

Matt who?

exactly :violin: Matt always has things to say about Axl. The guy needs to find a hobby, honestly.

He's probably just answering a question. I don't think he'd go out of his way to bring Axl up. He's not destitute like Steven Adler.

lol certainly not as bad you are right. I just find it hilarious because Matt was not there as far as we know. That show would have been played with or without Duff. Also Axl still has it he does not need to prove that to any of the formers

Come on bba...this shits getting tired..there'll be no reunion..accept it!!

Way too tired. He doesn't even fucking try to disguise himself. I've never seen someone so absolutely devoted to subverting ban after ban, just to talk shit about a band he doesn't like.

i dont find anything wrong with what Matt has to say

some of you guys blow every little detail out of proportion

I agree. I didn't find anything negative in Matt's comments. Just that Duff's appearance spurred Axl to give his performance a little extra kick.

Matt sounds like almost, jealous or bitter.

His comment, "It's one guy--I don't know" comment in regards to Duff maybe reuniting with Axl is interesting.

Yeah...exactly. Maybe he's a little nervous because he knows if they get back together, Steven's the one who's getting the call.

Matt sounds like almost, jealous or bitter.

His comment, "It's one guy--I don't know" comment in regards to Duff maybe reuniting with Axl is interesting.

Yeah...exactly. Maybe he's a little nervous because he knows if they get back together, Steven's the one who's getting the call.

Well you know Duff never considered him, at least in GN'R, ever a 'real member.'

He once said (after leaving the band) that Matt was "always on the ejector seat."

Also, Duff sided with Axl in that they both rejected the Snakepit material, whereas Matt sided with Slash on that.

Edited by Indigo Child

Matt who?

Agreed on the Matt comment but do you realize Steven won a lawsuit a few years back and got a nice chunk of $$$ and his performance royalties back right? so while he may not be as well off as Axl Duff and Slash he is far from destitute.........

I was talking more about his life as a musician. Steven is stuck playing dive bars without Axl or Slash in his band. At least Sorum can always go play with The Cult or even Motorhead.

Matt Sorum came in as a hired hand when the band needed to keep going.

I bet Bumble-foot, and possibly the other hired hands will end up the same way.

They're like drug addicts, and the Guns N'Roses platform will have given them a high they will (probably) never experience again once it all comes crashing down. Even I can tell, the highs are nothing compared to what the band was back in the day. Maybe Axl's only way get the band's sound back on track would be a reunion. It'll never happen, but if it did, I doubt it would last longer than 6 months.

Edited by star