Matt Sorum says, Axl played the London show for Duff not for the audience.

Dude on the Couch

So you want the band to change its name soley to keep people from " whining "? According to the current lawsuit against activision, Axl is the only member of GNR , and that fact is backed up by everyone leaving the band over the course of all the years. I dont care about the name. Alot of other succesful bands have used band names to promote records and sell-out concerts. GNR=Slaxl for me? Never said that. Never implied it either. And I suppose a large part of the fan base is Axl/Slash, but that is no different than any other worldwide group(u2-bono/the edge, The Stones mick/keith, Zeppelin page/plant, Beatles lennon/mccartney). Only the diehards care about the larry mullens, izzys, charlie watts, or John paul jones

I'd personally rather have the band called something else : less whining from the fanbase, less abuse towards the musicians, less legal bullshit, more Chinese less Appetite, perfect...

I'm mostly here for the new music. That's why I wouldn't have any problem with this band calling itself something else.

The fact that people would appreciate the new music without having to constantly compare it with AFD and UYI and bitch about it would be a plus to me, yes.

But that's just me and I'm fully aware that most GnR fans care for the classic songs.

Even if they changed the bands name

A lot of people are constantly whining about the name, and say it is totally in Axl's hands.

Personally I doubt that, I think that's not totally true. The recordcompany has probably some say in it.

I don't think they would have waited so long for CD if he had renamed the band. Axl knew that, he was probably also told, so he had to stick with the name.

Why always blaming him about that? He had to, he wanted to, so whatever.... Because of that we have CD and the tour, so I am happy

Some of you guys really have a problem, focusing that much on the name instead of the music.....

My gut feeling was to get down on Matt for saying this, but I dunno, he knows Axl better than any of us, that's for sure.

Maybe he was jealous of Duff, and wanted to take a cheap shot at Axl. Maybe he was just making an honest observation.

All I know is that both Slash and Matt seem to be a bit frazzled about what happened and need to take their shots at Axl to feel better about it. Who knows...

My gut feeling was to get down on Matt for saying this, but I dunno, he knows Axl better than any of us, that's for sure.

Maybe he was jealous of Duff, and wanted to take a cheap shot at Axl. Maybe he was just making an honest observation.

All I know is that both Slash and Matt seem to be a bit frazzled about what happened and need to take their shots at Axl to feel better about it. Who knows...

What did slash say about it?

Slash made some strange comments about how he was in constant contact with Duff throughout the day and night that it happened. And how the fact that they still went on an hour late would have put a bad taste in his mouth, had he been in Duff's position.

Matt's exactly right...check out when Axl belts out "I'll rip your heart in two" he looks RIGHT at Duff. Axl's still got the voice but beyond that what...6 beggars and hangers on??

just looked at that video again because I thought it's be fun to see them interacting like that moment you mentioned.. but all he's doing there is just acknowledging his presence there.

and that's pretty much the only time he ever has any interaction with him on the stage during the song. (just watched YCBM)

would've loved seeing more of it, at least since you're making such a big deal of it :shrugs:

Matt's exactly right...check out when Axl belts out "I'll rip your heart in two" he looks RIGHT at Duff. Axl's still got the voice but beyond that what...6 beggars and hangers on??

just looked at that video again because I thought it's be fun to see them interacting like that moment you mentioned.. but all he's doing there is just acknowledging his presence there.

and that's pretty much the only time he ever has any interaction with him on the stage during the song. (just watched YCBM)

would've loved seeing more of it, at least since you're making such a big deal of it :shrugs:

GeorgeGlass is one of those "Reunion or Retire" types.

Some of you guys are fucking retarded. OF COURSE Axl played to Duff a bit. It would have been strange if he didn't. It was the first time they played together in 17 years. Why wouldn't Axl want to make good with him and have some fun?

I love the old band, but I swear, Axl just can't just win with some of you. Back off a bit and use your brains. He reunites with Duff for a show, and STILL you nit-pick and find shit wrong with it.

"He played to Duff too much." Just fucking retarded.

Slash made some strange comments about how he was in constant contact with Duff throughout the day and night that it happened. And how the fact that they still went on an hour late would have put a bad taste in his mouth, had he been in Duff's position.

Slash: "It was cool. I got an e-mail from Duff going, 'I'm checked into a hotel and Axl is in the room next to me.' And that's how it all started. And he just sort of kept me posted through the day and at one point he said he was going down to the venue with Axl. And I was, like, 'Wow!' 'Cause a lot of years have gone by. And so then the next one was that he was gonna be going on stage or something. And so he went and they did, like, I think it was five or six songs. So it was cool. And then the next day he told me it was great, everything was very cool, they went out and had dinner, and so they had that sort of, whatever, rekindling kind of thing. All things considered, the only thing I said about it was that... 'cause I know that they still ended up going on an hour late. And I was, like, 'Oooh.' That's the only part that would have left a bad taste in my mouth, supporting that."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=148573&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth.net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29&utm_content=Twitter

Maybe Duff told Matt that Axl played to him. I mean after all Duff was there and on stage with Axl.

I'm sure that did not happen. Slash and Matt are obviously upset that Duff got a ton of media attention along with Axl because of that concert, and now they're giving their little digs to feel better about it. It's painfully obvious and child-like behavior from two musicians that I respect.

Maybe Duff told Matt that Axl played to him. I mean after all Duff was there and on stage with Axl.

I'm sure that did not happen. Slash and Matt are obviously upset that Duff got a ton of media attention along with Axl because of that concert, and now they're giving their little digs to feel better about it. It's painfully obvious and child-like behavior from two musicians that I respect.

Why would you think that?

Common sense and their painfully obvious, butt-hurt, comments.

I don't think anything is painfully obvious about anything. Except the constant assumption that everyone seems to know at all times what these guys have on there minds. And what they are discussing behind closed doors. And disecting every single word they say.

I don't think anything is painfully obvious about anything. Except the constant assumption that everyone seems to know at all times what these guys have on there minds. And what they are discussing behind closed doors. And disecting every single word they say.

You thought Duff maybe had told Matt that Axl played to him. I was commenting on actual comments made Slash and Matt. Real comments hold more evidence than fictitious conversations that happen nowhere but in your own head.

Edited by sofine11

You thought Duff maybe had told Matt that Axl played to him. I was commenting on actual comments made Slash and Matt. Real comments hold more evidence than fictitious conversations that happen nowhere but in your own head.

Your comments hold no more evidence than mine. Unless you have an insite into these two peoples feelings. Do you know them personally? Do you know what was going on at the time of the question? Do you know what might have been discussed between them and Duff?

Matt who?

exactly :violin: Matt always has things to say about Axl. The guy needs to find a hobby, honestly.

And when he isn't talking about Axl, he's talking about Scott Weiland. At least Axl and Scott actually still have a career, they are great frontmen and will be remembered. Matt Sorum? Does anyone who is not a GNR or VR fan even know who he is?

I actually used to like Matt, but when VR was together he would say that he didn't miss working with Axl at all, then when Scott left/got kicked out of VR (whoevers story you wanna believe) he said that at least Axl could attract a big crowd and Scott couldn't. He is so full of shit. And his laugh is incredibely annoying!

Haha. AMEN! Seems like he's on coke when doing his interviews.

I think I will go with Duff's version of events.

Matt has bugged me ever since he made the "what's with the piano?" comment. You mean what's with the instrument that the most important member of the band plays?

Matt should just shut up and drum.

When you join the band that made Appetite For Destruction I doubt that you would expect to hear piano on the next record. Try not to see the question "whats with the piano" as a horrible insult to Axl, and more of a genuine question to a bandmate that you are creating a record with.

Try to remember that even though Axl/Slash/Izzy are on most of the songwriting credits every musician involved including the drummer, has to put their name and reputation to a song that once recorded, will exist for eternity and they have every right to question what happens. Even if it does upset Axl.

I think I will go with Duff's version of events.

Matt has bugged me ever since he made the "what's with the piano?" comment. You mean what's with the instrument that the most important member of the band plays?

Matt should just shut up and drum.

When you join the band that made Appetite For Destruction I doubt that you would expect to hear piano on the next record. Try not to see the question "whats with the piano" as a horrible insult to Axl, and more of a genuine question to a bandmate that you are creating a record with.

Try to remember that even though Axl/Slash/Izzy are on most of the songwriting credits every musician involved including the drummer, has to put their name and reputation to a song that once recorded, will exist for eternity and they have every right to question what happens. Even if it does upset Axl.

Yes, but try to remember that some songs on UYI, including some piano, were around or at least begun, during the AFD time. When Matt came on they were recording songs that included piano. So it should not have been much of a surprise to him. Don't think I said he was insulting Axl, nor do I think he upset Axl. But it was a comment that showed disagreement with what the band was doing, and the band was doing it when he got there.

Still think it is appropriate to go with Duff's version of events.