If GN'R had released more records by now....

Vincent Vega

Let's be honest, Axl could have released the equivalent of Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine and Paradise City with new GNR and we'd still get people on here saying it was shite, that's a fact.

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda. He didn't.

Quality is the #1 issue.

No, perception is the main issue. Guns started off as something, and were loved by millions upon millions of people all around the world. Having a bunch of great songs with the name "Guns N' Roses" slapped on the front with Axl fronting it won't make people forget what once was. Not a chance. There would still be a stigma, although less than the stigma at the moment. Velvet Revolver's current line up would have less of a stigma than current Guns if VR had the moniker "Guns N' Roses" due to having 2 original Guns members but there still would be a stigma, big hit or not.

For the general public - yes. For those axl-haters, slash-lovers on this forum - no. Axl could put out ten number one albums and people on this forum would still say "those albums were only succesful because of the GnR brand name."

I disagree. I think a majority of the problem isn't that Axl took the GNR name, it's that he took the name and did fuck all worthwhile with it for at least fifteen years.

I respectfully disagree. I'm a fan of the old band. But I just don't understand why any "fan" still carries a grudge about the actual "name" of a band. It makes no sense to me. Slash, duff and Izzy have all moved on - but a small section of fans can't. Weird.

100% agreed.

They wouldn't still be fully considered worthy the GN'R name (what an odd concept) by the average joe fan, but I bet more people would accept them. Also if Axl did promote himself and the band, like if he went to the talkshows other musicians do, that would have helped too. In the end it's irrelevant though, the history went as it went.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. If GNR had just been churning out records, they'd just be seen as another run-of-the-mill ageing rock band. Look at someone like Pearl Jam - their career has just been on the decline for years now. As rock bands get older, they become less relevent. Rock is a young man's game.

Whereas with GNR, Axl is this mysterious, enigmatic figure - so people are still interested - there is a strange fascination with this slightly odd guy who refuses to compromise - and is still saying 'FUCK YOU!' after all these years. Isn't that what rock music is all about?

The Wise One

If GN'R/"Nu-GN'R" had released new records by now, do you think there would be such a stigma still attached with them?

For example let's say CD came out in 1999/2000; CD in 2002/2003, CD III in 2006/2007 and CDIV next year, do you think the new band would be accepted as Guns by more people?

What about yourself? Do you see the lack of new releases by the new band a factor in you not being able to see it as Guns?

then this would not be GNR we are talking about!

I find it really cool and extreme the way GNR released their material over the years,

and certainly the way they do it it's why so much people in "the industry" find them annoying,

because GNR is the true rock n' roll band, and in spite the fact that they only got 6 "original albums" (out of which one is a full covers album and one is a rendition of their first EP, so we might call it that they have 4 original albums: AFD, UYI 1 and 2, and Chinese Democray) is a heavy wait rock band, with over 100 millions albums sold, with over 3.5 mill fans which attended GNR shows in the last 10 years with out any new album being released, with over 1.5 mill fans which attended the last tour 2009-2010, with over 5 mill facebook fans added in the last 5 months of 2010, with over 5 mill units sold of the last album which wasn't promoted in "classic way" (no major tv show or interview, no music videos).

so I find GNR the most original and strong rock band ever! to last over 25 years in the music industry in spite of all the mass they've been and are, to have so much pull still today, and overshadow all the new rock wannabes bands, and to be at the top with the old school rock bands such Rolling Stones, AC/DC and Aerosmith (bands which are luck enough to sit at the table with GNR) bands which are still active but which maintain their place by playing a lot lot more as the industry told them to,

so yeas heats of for GNR to be here today in the year 2010, as one of the strongest bands of the world, even though or specially for not being media friendly and not being trendy!!!!

fuck trendy and media friendly. that's for the ones who lack in some way confidence in their art, such as the once above, and let's add here Metallica and Bon Jovy, bands - I do not know why - GNR fans tend to compare their band to.

so, peace in piss out (I guess this is what Highvoltage means about my post being aggressive B) )

GNR is the rock band that can do what ever - yes even stay 14 years without a new album out! and still got the weight to headline festivals to get tens of thousands of people to their show, and yes the majority of people do know who's out of the band by now... some idiots around this or other boards believe the majority of humans are as stupid as they are and chose to live under a rock for the past 20 years and when they do go out of it they think it's still 1990! <_<

so cheers for GNR for a great year and for next to follow!

(yes "fuckhead" - to quote the man in chief of GNR - even if that means no more shows, no more albums, no more nothing from the band)

Let's be honest, Axl could have released the equivalent of Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine and Paradise City with new GNR and we'd still get people on here saying it was shite, that's a fact.

I think the mainstream would have excepted them far more but quality is far better than quantity, so it depends on your view on how good Chinese Democracy is?

For me anyway I 100% disagree with the first part. I wanted to believe but CD just doesn't do it for me. I like 4 songs on it and there are several I actively dislike.

If he had done the equivalnet to WTTJ, SCOM or PC I (and I suspect many others) would have been all over it believe me I am dying to hear music that good again.

Not necessarily look at U2 whether or not you like their music they are still releasing reocrds which are critical and commercial successes to a large and appreciative fan base.

I see no reason why GnR could not have done something similar.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. If GNR had just been churning out records, they'd just be seen as another run-of-the-mill ageing rock band. Look at someone like Pearl Jam - their career has just been on the decline for years now. As rock bands get older, they become less relevent. Rock is a young man's game.

Whereas with GNR, Axl is this mysterious, enigmatic figure - so people are still interested - there is a strange fascination with this slightly odd guy who refuses to compromise - and is still saying 'FUCK YOU!' after all these years. Isn't that what rock music is all about?

The Wise One

If GN'R/"Nu-GN'R" had released new records by now, do you think there would be such a stigma still attached with them?

For example let's say CD came out in 1999/2000; CD in 2002/2003, CD III in 2006/2007 and CDIV next year, do you think the new band would be accepted as Guns by more people?

What about yourself? Do you see the lack of new releases by the new band a factor in you not being able to see it as Guns?

I think it certainly does not help the cause. You get bands like Megadeth or Whitesnake who go thru people like toilet paper, and nobody bats an eye because they keep releasing stuff. Basically new member = new album. In Nu's case it's more like new member = new 3 or 4 notes on existing song.

I think it certainly does not help the cause. You get bands like Megadeth or Whitesnake who go thru people like toilet paper, and nobody bats an eye because they keep releasing stuff. Basically new member = new album. In Nu's case it's more like new member = new 3 or 4 notes on existing song.

Exactly. I'm sure the more recent lineup changes have delayed the next album even more than it already would have been. The fans opinions obviously ammounts to dick to Axl, but I really think that replacing Robin, Brain and Bucket's parts on the next album in favor of DJ, Ron, and Frank is a mistake and will keep the follow up of CD in limbo for years to come...That is, if that's the direction they take with it.

I'm sure that as they are, save for possible further mixing & mastering, the next album is ready to go when Axl says so. It's adding everyone that's in GNR this week that could still be holding it up...

Edited by sofine11

Axl has only ONE recourse to re-legitimize himself and the GNR name....

Axl has only ONE recourse to re-legitimize himself and the GNR name....

For once I agree with you, your are absolutely right - he needs to get Dj Ashba in the studio.

Edited by axl8302