The crushing weight of Estranged

Butters

This song is beautiful,and it helped a lot of people in hard times of their lives.Not everyone is able to listen this kind of music.Only someone who really likes the song,the lyrics or the gender of music is really able to get the message.Most of GNR songs have something true in their essence,that is applicable to many people.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Estranged can be seen in two ways IMO

1. Being literally estranged from people, friends, family etc.

2. The way Axl put its here

Alot of fans, including myself can relate to it. Now I dont know if Axl to this day can still relate to it. But looking from the outside I'd guess he could very well relate to it. Being estranged from his old friends from Indiana, past band members, lovers.

I listen to Madagascar and I feel like the same storm he is talking about in Estranged is the same one in Madagascar.

I knew the storm was getting closer

And all my friends said I was high

But everything we've ever known's here

I never wanted it to die

I won't be told anymore

That I've been brought down in this storm

And left so far out from the shore

That I can't find my way back My way anymore

As much as I love the video for Estranged, many other people do not. They point to it as grandiose, they don't find any meaning in it other than it being a very expensive, indulgent video. Now the video may be those things but there is meaning to everyone of those scences in the video. I think it is sad that the video overshadows the song in many ways. Here you have possibly the greatest GNR song of all time, and people say "oh thats the one where Axl swims with the dolphins in the expensive video." Its a shame.

People say Estranged is about Erin...

But is it possible that Estranged was actually, at least partially, about the Old Band?

Axl claims today he saw the band as being on it's way out by the start of the Illusion tour, but that he wanted to go down with the ship.

I really think those lines about his feelings on the band...He sees the storm getting closer.

Edited by Indigo Child

Dude you are a moron. Plain and simple. Jesus Christ was not a "fictional being". Its been proven that he was a real person. Its Christmas. Show some respect, regardless of what you believe.

Oh boy. Could you stop disrespecting intelligent people. It's 2010.

I feel bad for anyone that equates the mysteries of the universe to be the workings of some single dad who writes books. And for whoever said "JC has been proven to have existed" is way way off the mark. Please present this "proof". There were dozens of reliable ancient historians that existed at the supposed time of Christ, yet none outside the bible even mention JC. Do some research away from your brainwashing church.

Does anybody else bleed this song? I used to own a cassette tape with estranged on side 1 and side 2. An hour of estranged. I listen to that tape for months straight and nothing else.

That's just plain stupid. There's SO much (better) music out there. And you've ruined it (Estranged) for yourself in the process.

Well that was 16 years ago. I was 14 and if your dumbass cant tell ,estranged has not been ruined for me, hence the thread. I stated in the thread that if you hadnt nothing positive to add then go to another thread.

But is it possible that Estranged was actually, at least partially, about the Old Band?

Axl claims today he saw the band as being on it's way out by the start of the Illusion tour, but that he wanted to go down with the ship.

I really think those lines about his feelings on the band...He sees the storm getting closer.

I'm sure the band was on the verge of breaking up from the day they started, but do you think when he wrote the song in '89-'91, before the tour, that it would've been about them...then tour with them for 2 more years? Could've been about how he felt about his friendship with Izzy at the time, amongst other things. Sometimes songwriters draw from other people, so it could've been his sister's breaking up he was channelling, or an estrangement from his parents, first serious girlfriend he had, etc. I mean, Eminem was drawing on his mom and ex-wife as source material into his 30s.

Dude you are a moron. Plain and simple. Jesus Christ was not a "fictional being". Its been proven that he was a real person. Its Christmas. Show some respect, regardless of what you believe.

how has it been proven?? There is no proof...

I call people on their bullshit and irrational arguments from ignorance... btw, I'm not the who brought it up. The topic was "Estranged" and this guy felt he needed to throw in some theistic nonsense...

In some random thread I'm gonna bring up Unicorns...

I believe he's mentioned in roman texts as well. He's an historical figure who did indeed, believe he was the son of god. He preached a new religion which then became Christianity. Now, was he the son of God? That's unprovable, like you said. I myself this he was pretty much just a radical thinker/teacher/revolutionary who stepped on the wrong toes. As for walking on water? I'll leave that up to someone else.

Edited by Nintari

Estraned is a great, beautiful song. It is not one of my top 5 GNR songs, but I can appreciate and see what is so special about it. I would never play it on repeat for hours on end, the only things I do on repeat are Pink Floyd's The Wall and Clapton's Layla.

Axl says Estranged was about the break up of his marriage to Erin when he wrote it. But later he found it also applied to other situations, the break up with Steven, things going on in his family, the break up with Stephanie....

One of the most beautiful, well structured songs of all time. I've listened to it a million times. I too have gone through that stage where it's something you really relate to and it kinda gives you the feeling that Axl describes before the song on Live Era: "It's a nice happy song, kinda like a walk in the park. Uhm, sun coming trough you window in the morning and it's a beautiful day and you've got nothing better to do than commit hara kari, so .. this is called Estranged". I guess all teenage boys in the age of 14-16 experience that time.

Edited by Gods Favourite

This song is just another example of what Slash and Axl are capable of when the combine their talents. One of the few songs that benefit from a keyboard player as well. A masterpiece really.

Axl's voice and melodies is what brought out the best in Slash. It would influence Slash to come up with stuff that would go deep into your bones. Slash is a better Guitar player now because he is sober and can think clearer and move faster, but he will never be able to out do some of the things he did with Axl. PS Estranged is also my favorite song.

Axl's voice and melodies is what brought out the best in Slash. It would influence Slash to come up with stuff that would go deep into your bones. Slash is a better Guitar player now because he is sober and can think clearer and move faster, but he will never be able to out do some of the things he did with Axl. PS Estranged is also my favorite song.

Hey Marc--

Do you think Axl and Slash will ever be able to put the BS between them aside enough, not for a reunion, but at least for an opening of the "Vault"? I mean for example more old band shows being put on DVD or the UYI Tour Documentary which Slash mentions in his book ever being released? I mean I'm cool if they never reunite but stuff from the vault stuff would be really cool for the fans...I'm sure there's tons of stuff that they're sitting on that the fans would absolutely go nuts for.

Also....A bit sensitive of a question, you don't have to answer if its too personal and I'll understand, but why did Axl go "underground" from 1994-1999/2000? I mean in all those years Slash was giving his side of the story about the breakup and all that and painting out to be Axl this bad guy--Why didn't Axl ever fire back with his side during that time? How come there was not a single interview or public appearance by Axl during that period?

Miser, take investigative journalist off your list of potential job prospects. About as smooth as sandpaper.

Why haven't I bought Marcs book? I also regret not trying Canters Deli when I was in LA. Someday...

My favorite is the '92 Oklahoma version of Estranged. One of the top performances in my opinion, and something so eerily ominous and heartfelt when Axl ad-libs "maybe I'll get it right, next time I doubt it." Ominous of what, I don't know. Just one of those small instances, especially in the context of Estranged, that really helps me see through the bullshit and realize Axl and Guns N' Roses will always be my favorite band of all time.

Edited by AbominableHoman

Estranged = 9.5 minutes of maudlin weepy wandering. A song for lost souls who don't want to find themselves. Wander on, young stallion.

Axl's voice and melodies is what brought out the best in Slash. It would influence Slash to come up with stuff that would go deep into your bones. Slash is a better Guitar player now because he is sober and can think clearer and move faster, but he will never be able to out do some of the things he did with Axl.

Whelp, we all knew something was depleted from ole' Slash. Maybe he should just bring some GN'R cd's in the studio. I'd like to hear some guitar licks that have the power and vocal resonance that he did in Guns. Nobody's stopping him but himself.

I think Slash wins the post-1993 success argument by default. Without making any judgments on the quality of material released, Slash has had Snakepit, both VR albums, the solo album, and working with everyone to Eazy E to Michael Jackson to Alice Cooper to a reunited Yardbirds to Rihanna, plus tons of promotion compared to one album and one single for a movie soundtrack from Axl. By having output he becomes more successful than Axl since the break up. That is about the only objective fact in regards to Axl and Slash since 1993.

Whelp, we all knew something was depleted from ole' Slash. Maybe he should just bring some GN'R cd's in the studio. I'd like to hear some guitar licks that have the power and vocal resonance that he did in Guns. Nobody's stopping him but himself.

Agree. In GN'R he did lots of memorable solos but I can recall only one from the VR albums (She Builds Quick Machines). He's done lots of awesome riffs in VR and his solo album though!

Does anybody else bleed this song? I used to own a cassette tape with estranged on side 1 and side 2. An hour of estranged. I listen to that tape for months straight and nothing else. I have never gotten over this song. Maybe i havent grown as a human being, but this song still applies to my life in so many ways and I never tire of listening to it. Where i have heard every other GNR song to the point of redundency , this song remains fresh and vital to my soul. Now, if you dont feel the same way, then I dont care. iam just curious to others people stories in regards to this song. Maybe U2's One makes me feel something simliar. If not estranged then what songs makes you feel like nothing else.If you have nothing to add then remain silent. Of course nothing can stop a cunt from being a dude.

I used to have that tape too... To be honest, I remember being so ..amazed and intrigued by whichever side I discovered first that I wasnst even aware the song was on both sides for several weeks! Man was I excited when I found the other half !!! :)

Listening to it in my bedroom as a kid is a vivid memory. Watching the music video brings back vivid memories. I love pulling it up on youtube. Probably the most important GNR song to me.

However, I have gotten over this song. I am no longer "estranged." I still love the song, and the memory of what it used to mean to me is still there. Axl was my hero then. I was immature and didnt know any better. I still have respect for the man for many things, but I surely dont idolize him anymore.

Why am I no longer "estranged" you may wonder? Well, through Jesus Chris I have a relationship with my Creator God. This completes me, fulfills me and brigs me joy - not happiness, because happiness is fleeting and comes and goes like the weather...

We were all created as 3 part beings - body, spirit and soul. We know how to feed the body, and the soul we learn how to appease somewhat, but as many of you know, you still feel an emptiness. Until your spirit is linked with God, you will always have than emptiness. You will try to fill it with anything other than God, because our human nature is that we are rebellious toward God. So we try to fill that void with other things - music, relationships, food, alcohol, drugs, sex, education, power, money, possessions...... and we discover that nothing fills the void, so we do even more of whatever thing we have been trying to fill it with, and more and more and more, and then we start adding more things on top.... I think Axl himself said it best in MRB - "I used to do a little but a little wouldnt do it so the little got more and more, I just kept trying to get a little better said a little better than before..."

I wont continue this discussion on this thread, but if anyone would like discuss in another, I am more than happy.

You're a fucking idiot, actual music, that actually exists, created by an actual band far outweighs your childish fantasies.

Do you believe in gravity? It's just a theory, with a lot of science to support it. If you can have faith in that theory, why can't you have faith in the big bang theory?

It was an interesting jag in the discussion to take it from Estranged to religion I'm starting to think every thread topic is six or less degrees from the topic of religion.