Ashba and Richard

Vincent Vega

Here's my question:

While CD makes it pretty easy to judge the merits and songwriting talents of Buckethead, Paul Huge, BBF and Robin in GN'R, Richard didn't really do all that much on CD as I can remember and DJ Ashba, while he has been AWESOME live hasn't done anything in the studio that's been released yet.

That being said, the fact that Richard and DJ haven't contributed all that much in terms of original creativity makes me wonder why people automatically say stuff like "Richard > Paul Tobias" and "Ashba > Finck" I mean sure they may be great live players, but isn't the studio where it really counts?

I mean at least with Bucket, Paul, Robin and BBF there's album of songs made or added to by them. While Ron didn't create any of the songs on CD, he makes his presence felt on quite a number of the songs, for example in soloing and his little dirty rhythm work. I don't recall any shining, stand out moments on Chinese D from Richard....

Edited by Indigo Child

Here's my question:

While CD makes it pretty easy to judge the merits of Buckethead, Paul Huge, BBF and Robin, Richard didn't really do all that much on CD and DJ Ashba, while he has been AWESOME live hasn't done anything in the studio that's been released yet.

That being said, the fact that Richard and DJ haven't contributed all that much makes me wonder why people automatically say stuff like "Richard > Paul Tobias" and "Ashba > Finck" I mean sure they may be great live players, but isn't the studio where it really counts?

If they can kick ass live then studio will be no troubles!

I didnt say Ashba>Finck in the other thread, because I think Ashba is particularly good (although I imagine he will write some decent stuff that will go well with Axl's vocals).

I said it because I didn't really rate Robin Finck in GNR, live or in the studio

LA

Edited by LA_0013

Here's my question:

While CD makes it pretty easy to judge the merits of Buckethead, Paul Huge, BBF and Robin, Richard didn't really do all that much on CD and DJ Ashba, while he has been AWESOME live hasn't done anything in the studio that's been released yet.

That being said, the fact that Richard and DJ haven't contributed all that much makes me wonder why people automatically say stuff like "Richard > Paul Tobias" and "Ashba > Finck" I mean sure they may be great live players, but isn't the studio where it really counts?

Not necessarily. A great live player, especially one who is working with material written by others', is just interpreting another's work. That just shows they have a bit of originality and inventiveness, but it doesn't say that they're a guy who can go in and write a great song (musically I mean) or pull a great riff out of the air.

Here's my question:

Not necessarily. A great live player, especially one who is working with material written by others', is just interpreting another's work. That just shows they have a bit of originality and inventiveness, but it doesn't say that they're a guy who can go in and write a great song (musically I mean) or pull a great riff out of the air.

I don't know about Richard, but DJ can definetly write lyrics and come up with great riffs. Just listen to his past work. It really speaks for itself.

A great live player, especially one who is working with material written by others', is just interpreting another's work. That just shows they have a bit of originality and inventiveness, but it doesn't say that they're a guy who can go in and write a great song (musically I mean) or pull a great riff out of the air.

Just coz Robin was in the studio doesnt automatically mean he can write a great song either. Some of his output wasn't that great, considering he was in the band on and off for the best part of a decade.

LA

Edited by LA_0013

A great live player, especially one who is working with material written by others', is just interpreting another's work. That just shows they have a bit of originality and inventiveness, but it doesn't say that they're a guy who can go in and write a great song (musically I mean) or pull a great riff out of the air.

Just coz Robin was in the studio doesnt mean he can either. Some of his output wasn't that great, considering he was in the band on and off for the best part of a decade.

LA

I don't know, I mean IMO his stuff in the studio was really good. Yes he was hit and miss live but then again some guitarists are like that...For example, Jimmy Page wasn't nearly as good live as he was in the studio. I'm not saying Robin is anywhere on Jimmy's level--He's not--Just giving an example of a great guitarist who is/was sloppy live but overall talented.

Just coz Robin was in the studio doesnt mean he can either. Some of his output wasn't that great, considering he was in the band on and off for the best part of a decade.

LA

I don't know, I mean IMO his stuff in the studio was really good. Yes he was hit and miss live but then again some guitarists are like that...For example, Jimmy Page wasn't nearly as good live as he was in the studio. I'm not saying Robin is anywhere on Jimmy's level--He's not--Just giving an example of a great guitarist who is/was sloppy live but overall talented.

Yeah that may be true.

But IMO Ashba seems an all round better guitarist, especially in the live shows. As for the studio, there's nothing really that Robin wrote off his own back in all the years he was in GNR, that would make me put up with his frequent lousy playing. At least Jimmy Page, creatively, was a genius...

LA

LA

Yeah that may be true.

But IMO Ashba seems an all round better guitarist, especially in the live shows. As for the studio, there's nothing really that Robin wrote off his own back in all the years he was in GNR, that would make me put up with his frequent lousy playing. At least Jimmy Page, creatively, was a genius...

LA

Personally, I thought Robin was indeed overrated by many here in terms of his contributions to Guns, but I do love Better.

If you notice though, Paul Huge was Axl's biggest collaborator on CD and IMO the best songs were done in collaboration with the two of them. I know a lot of people hate on Paul for various reasons, but I think he's a really underrated guitarist in Guns. He's got the same sort of thing about him that allows him to work with Axl, it seems, like Izzy used to. People who worked with Guns in 1997-1998 said Paul, Axl and Dizzy were the main songwriters at the time.

BBF I honestly think would make a great rhythm guitarist but i'm not sure about his lead capabilities. I love his rhythm parts on Chinese D but his solos leave something to be desired for me.

I'd love a lineup that was like Axl, Buckethead, BBF, Paul Huge, Tommy, Josh or Frank, Dizzy, Chris.

Edited by Indigo Child

DJ Ashba >>>>>>>>>>>> Robin live.

In studio...I'm not sure but I DO like Beautiful Creatures.

Richard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everybody else live.

He's quite an entertainer.

I really do hope Axl gives those guys a chance in the studio.

Couldn't have said it better myself. All of it in 100% true. Pluss if you listen to sixx am, the guitar work on it is amazing.

Ashba>Finck

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

You're rofling everywhere....but honestly I agree with him. I mean, Finck is great, but give Ashba a chance.

Look, live DJ sounds better than Robin, I admit that, I have ears and anyone that has ever compared both can notice that. And although I like Sixx:A.M. and Saints Of Los Angeles and also DJ's personality, I prefer Robin. I like his style and his industrial sound and between Sixx AM and Nine Inch Nails, I prefer NIN. And maybe the fact that he left Guns N' Roses made me miss him more. I mean, I thought "Oh, another guitarrist leaving", so I wish he could have stayed not only because in my opinion he is better than Ashba, but also because a line-up of the band would have lasted more than one tour. Actually it would have been the same line-up for four years now.

I met DJ in São Paulo and he was nice with the fans, he's a very cool guy and the band seems to like him a lot. Actually, I would say that today he is the second most famous band members (on the band today) apart from Axl (obviously).

If Robin was still in the band, and according to Axl and Brian himself, Brian is in the band, the line-up would be almost the same since 2001/2, and I think that is great.

Edited by ManetsBR

makes me wonder why people automatically say stuff like "Richard > Paul Tobias" and "Ashba > Finck" I mean sure they may be great live players, but isn't the studio where it really counts?

because anyone with a pair of ears would realize how terrible of a musician finck truly is. he had no place in this band.

Well by the order of your thinking, ashba didn't too.

Ashba is a pathetic copycat who doesn't have his own style.

Even if i didn't like the Fink's style to play, i would rather ear him playing a thousand times

than Ashba.

Stupid Slash wannabe.

He even imitates Slash when he's talking!!!

And don't think that i'm a Chinese Democracy hater, because i like the album, i just think that Ashba suck.

From a live point if view its obvious Richard plays a secondary role to bumblefoot and dj . This is not a bad thing. It like when izzy was in the band or gilby. He still is very entertaining live, a lot of energy. I think he's got what it takes to write some killer music. Just have to wait and see.

Even if i didn't like the Fink's style to play, i would rather ear him playing a thousand times

than Ashba.

Stupid Slash wannabe.

And don't think that i'm a Chinese Democracy hater, because i like the album, i just think that Ashba suck.

Ashba looked like that before he joined the band he didnt copy slash *facpalm*

Plus didnt slash copy his look from someone else also?

than Ashba.

Stupid Slash wannabe.

Ashba looked like that before he joined the band he didnt copy slash *facpalm*

more like he was copying Slash before he joined the band...

Nothing wrong with that, a lot of people have been influenced by him.

Edited by moreblack

makes me wonder why people automatically say stuff like "Richard > Paul Tobias" and "Ashba > Finck" I mean sure they may be great live players, but isn't the studio where it really counts?

because anyone with a pair of ears would realize how terrible of a musician finck truly is. he had no place in this band.

You are fucking crazy..