What was your first impression of Guns?

Encore

The first time I heard GNR was proably in 1988 on tv (I think it was the patience video or used to love her at the night show) and i hated it!! I was nine years old then and loved Motley Crue, kiss, wasp, twisted sister etc... :)

Then when the UY1 and 2 (1991) came out my older brother bought UY2 and i just loved it. especially Knocking on heavens door and Get in the ring! Then, after this, when i got to hear Paradise city for the first time i was sold! :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When GNR first broke big I was away at college and for most of their heday I did not have a TV or radio so I didn't know too much about them except snippets I heard about them when listening to the radio at my parent's or on their car radio. All I knew about them was that they were a really rowdy band with a wild lead singer and that they raised a lot of hell and when they came to my city for a concert they were seen out at the strip club. I knew of their most popular songs and always loved SCOM from the first time I heard it and was surpised that a band like that would have such cool love song. I didn't know much else about them 'cause I didn't follow rock bands like I did when I was in my late teens when I knew the names of most of the band members. You may not believe this but I didn't even know that Slash was in GNR until about a year ago. I had heard of him (from my nephews playing Guitar Hero) but assumed he was in one of the hair bands like Motley Crue or Poison.

It wasn't until this past spring that I even knew that much about Axl. He was in the news and I became interested in him and the old band member's bios, though I always enjoyed their music. I have nothing against the new GNR, I just take a while to get used to new stuff as you can probably tell. I'm a total classic rocker. If I would have followed music during GNR's heyday like I did at other times in my life Axl probably would have been one of my favorite frontmen because I like vivacious, entertaining lead singers (i.e. Jim Morrison, David Lee Roth) and I like how Axl wears his feelings on his sleeve. Most other lead singers are boring compared to him. I also love unique voices and his range.

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm talking about the very first time I heard a GnR song, which was probably 3 or 4 years before I even listened to them, I think I thought of them as "that band whose vocals would kill your throat"

I was afraid, very afraid.

first i was afraid, i was petrified..

That's in my head now <_<

I hope it's the Cake version, at least.