Drummers

Vincent Vega

A question:

I know jack about drumming, but I'm looking to start a band. Can someone give me the technical info or the ''drumming styles'' these guys play, just as examples:

Neil Peart

Matt Sorum

Steven Adler

Josh Freese

Charlie Watts

Dave Abbruzzese

Steven Perkins

Dave Grohl

Danny Carey

John Bonham

What sort of styles are they called? I don't even know if there are certain drumming styles the way there are guitar styles. I am TOTALLY unfamiliar when anything having to do with drumming....

A question:

I know jack about drumming, but I'm looking to start a band. Can someone give me the technical info or the ''drumming styles'' these guys play, just as examples:

Neil Peart

Matt Sorum

Steven Adler

Josh Freese

Charlie Watts

Dave Abbruzzese

Steven Perkins

Dave Grohl

Danny Carey

John Bonham

What sort of styles are they called? I don't even know if there are certain drumming styles the way there are guitar styles. I am TOTALLY unfamiliar when anything having to do with drumming....

I am a drummer myself, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about technicality. I know some others, and they're all about setting their kit up perfectly and all this stuff. I'm the oppostite, I couldn't tell you what kind of cymbals I've got, the size of my drums. I'm fairly sure my snare actually has a tear in it. I don't know the first thing about actual drumming techniques.

Put me in front of something that resembles a kit, give me two sticks and I'll play anything. That's the kind of drummer I am, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Anyway, so that I can offer a bit of help at least, I'd refer to the likes of Steven Adler, Keith Moon and John Bonham as "loose" and "fluid", whereas the likes of Matt Sorum and Neil Peart are "tight", "solid" or "technical". To me, anyway.

I read once Bonham was doing an interview, and they asked him what his drumming technique was, he simply raised his fist and slammed it down hard on the table and said "THAT's my technique".

The secret to his sound is the fact that he mostly listened to stuff other than rock. His playing is aggressive and heavy handed, but with definite splashes of RnB and Soul music, a bit of Reggae, and British pop and also folk stuff from the era.

The only other thing is, almost everybody else on that list learned a great deal from Bonham, and most likely all list him as an influence.

Edited by moreblack

I took lessons for a few years from about age 12 -15.

You can bash a long to records and that's cool,but if you're serious...once you get past the boring rudimentaries with lessons,you actually learn some pretty amazing shit.

I remember be given exercises to work on at home each week...it could be a drag,but once it clicks,you've learned an amazing move.

What matters more is what kind of band you want to put together, but if you look in most classified ads, they usually mention what kind of musician they want to join the band, but the problem is if you want a guy that is that damn good and you're just bashing out chords, he or she's going to get bored waiting around for you guys to play catch up.