The band

Vincent Vega

Indeed, Slashite friends. Axl should just retire...He's garbage, right?

Axl should drop the name, that's all. I wouldnt want to see my idol retiered.

He isn't going to. Sorry.

Thank god, someone can predict the future, I feel much better now.

Maybe you'll stop your crusade since it's a worthless cause.

He's entitled to his opinion, just as you're entitled to yours.

Edited by Nintari

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would Axl, after being through years and years of shit with the GNR name, through court battles and big expenses, finally coming through the other side of it to have chinese released and possibly more albums, just decide to wake up one day and say 'fuck that was fun to go through all that headache, how about I just forget the past 15 years of legal worries and just start new' forgetting everything hes believed in?

yeah, makes a lot of sense.

Yes, he should have droped it when the band fell apart, it would have saved so manny legal battles. I would have gladly listen to everything he would put out on his own, but I feel like GNR today is like the best football player ever but with 50 years still playin, with lots of surgeries to keep standing and just wrecking his name. Btw the 50 year old is just an example, not a mention to Axl's age or current state, as I sayed before I am a big fan of him and I think he still has energy to keep going.

why would Axl, after being through years and years of shit with the GNR name, through court battles and big expenses, finally coming through the other side of it to have chinese released and possibly more albums, just decide to wake up one day and say 'fuck that was fun to go through all that headache, how about I just forget the past 15 years of legal worries and just start new' forgetting everything hes believed in?

Yes, he should have droped it when the band fell apart, it would have saved so manny legal battles. I would have gladly listen to everything he would put out on his own, but I feel like GNR today is like the best football player ever but with 50 years still playin, with lots of surgeries to keep standing and just wrecking his name. Btw the 50 year old is just an example, not a mention to Axl's age or current state, as I sayed before I am a big fan of him and I think he still has energy to keep going.

You're such a big fan you just had to get in the hateful little "lots of surgeries and wrecking his name" bit in there.

He's entitled to his opinion, just as you're entitled to yours.

Sometimes Indigo Child has a point with good posts, but other times they are just worthless and not worth to reply...

You're such a big fan you just had to get in the hateful little "lots of surgeries and wrecking his name" bit in there.

As I sayed it was an example, maybe a bad one but you should read the whole post.

Edited by LaRocker

I kinda like the idea of Axl going the Ozzy rout. That shit would be awesome (imo) and it certainly would have worked out better in the end because the #1 reason most people hate on Axl and his new band is because they feel keeping the name is bullshit. Without that obstacle, who knows how successful and well received his post GNR career would have been.

Edited by Nintari

I kinda like the idea of Axl going the Ozzy rout. That shit would be awesome (imo) and it certainly would have worked out better in the end because the #1 reason most people hate on Axl and his new band is because they feel keeping the name is bullshit. Without that obstacle, who knows how successful and well received his post GNR career would have been.

Yeah but the GnR name = short term $$$ and Axl knows that which is why he kept the name IMHO...How many fewer ChiDems or tickets do you think he would have sold if he had not kept using the GnR name? Axl may be crazy but he isn't stupid........

I'm guessing you feel he would've sold little to nothing had he gone the VR supergroup route--Formed a new band with other well known names.

For example, if he had hired Dave Navarro as a lead guitarist and Dave Grohl as the drummer. I know, to you it'd still be crap, cause Axl would be involved.

I don't mind that this "new" band is called Gn'R. To me they're just as much Guns N' Roses as the old band. And it's true that Axl kept the name cause it brings more cash. But if he would've gone solo in 97, called his band Axl Rose, made kick ass music and toured and toured and toured, there's a pretty good change that the Axl Rose-name would've became HUGE. Even more huge than it is now. Just like Ozzy after Black Sabbath...but the past is past, and I, myself, am happy that Axl (and Guns N' Roses) is still making music.

Edited by jekylhyde

Yeah but the GnR name = short term $$$ and Axl knows that which is why he kept the name IMHO...How many fewer ChiDems or tickets do you think he would have sold if he had not kept using the GnR name? Axl may be crazy but he isn't stupid........

I'm guessing you feel he would've sold little to nothing had he gone the VR supergroup route--Formed a new band with other well known names.

For example, if he had hired Dave Navarro as a lead guitarist and Dave Grohl as the drummer. I know, to you it'd still be crap, cause Axl would be involved.

Your man crush on Navarro is starting to get creepy.

Your man crush on Navarro is starting to get creepy.

LOL, I could say the same about many of the Slashites here.

Besides, I use his name because Axl really wanted to work with him in the period before and during the original Guns' fall out. So, if Axl had gone with a new band, he probably would've been one of the most likely picks.

It would have been a short term fill because I thinks Dave's heart belongs to Perry and JA. Call it a blessing in disguise.

Why a blessing in disguise? He's an awesome guitarist, probably within the top 5 of the 1990s.

Because when Jane's got back together then GNR would've been out a guitarist.

It's a shame that basicly every thread gos into old Gnr vs new GNR.!! :fuckyou:

Axl kept the name because he obviously feels like he is GNR.. Right or wrong ? Well, everybody is free to have their own opinion to this. I guess you know what my opinion is.

Let's enjyoy what we have this time around becasue it won't last forever :violin:

Axl kept the name because he obviously feels like he is GNR.. Right or wrong ? Well, everybody is free to have their own opinion to this. I guess you know what my opinion is.

Let's enjyoy what we have this time around becasue it won't last forever :violin:

He feels like? Dude, the guy sent an ultimatum to everyone in the band: "sign over the papers or im done with it"

He feels like? Dude, the guy sent an ultimatum to everyone in the band: "sign over the papers or im done with it"

Slash and co didn't need to sign over. Without Axl's drive GNR would not be what it became in the early ninties.

And pls don't tell me i talk bullshit . I love the old band too, really ! But Axl was the driving force . At least it appears like.

:)

Slash and co didn't need to sign over. Without Axl's drive GNR would not be what it became in the early ninties.

And pls don't tell me i talk bullshit . I love the old band too, really ! But Axl was the driving force . At least it appears like.

Not completely true as Axl rarely showed up at rehearsals with the others when they were writing the UYI albums and the band was forced to send him tapes for approval......and lets not forget they were all in Chicago trying to write UYI for a month before Axl finally decided to show up. He does not sound like much of a "driving force" to me. Rather seems like they got it done in spite of Axl in some cases....

Also Slash was the one who put together the backup singers and horns for the UYI tour. So lets not make Axl out to be some dynamo who was doing everything while the others, well some of them at least, sat around drinking and shooting dope all day.............

You could say the same thing about Steven, Izzy (who, according to Slash, wasn't there for most of the UYI recording sessions--He was absent to the point that Slash had to "double up" on guitars for him, and Slash even claimed that Izzy doesn't actually play on most of the UYIs), Duff (Look at how fucked up he was by '93) and even Slash himself. I find it interesting that the date Axl put the bit into the contract about the name (September 1st 1992) comes not long after Slash O'Ded and was briefly clinically dead. When Izzy came back to the band for those shows in '93 he said the rest of the band was a bunch of zombies, to the point that it fucked with him and was a reason he didn't actually rejoin--He couldn't in his eyes see his friends killing themselves).

Axl did some fucked up stuff during the UYI era, sure, but even Slash never has claimed he was more integral to he band than Axl...Nor has Izzy or anyone else. in fact, Slash listed his reasons for leaving GN'R in his autobiography and Axl's drive in GN'R or lack of, wasn't one of them.

Not completely true as Axl rarely showed up at rehearsals with the others when they were writing the UYI albums and the band was forced to send him tapes for approval......and lets not forget they were all in Chicago trying to write UYI for a month before Axl finally decided to show up. He does not sound like much of a "driving force" to me. Rather seems like they got it done in spite of Axl in some cases....

Also Slash was the one who put together the backup singers and horns for the UYI tour. So lets not make Axl out to be some dynamo who was doing everything while the others, well some of them at least, sat around drinking and shooting dope all day.............

You could say the same thing about Steven, Izzy (who, according to Slash, wasn't there for most of the UYI recording sessions--He was absent to the point that Slash had to "double up" on guitars for him, and Slash even claimed that Izzy doesn't actually play on most of the UYIs), Duff (Look at how fucked up he was by '93) and even Slash himself. I find it interesting that the date Axl put the bit into the contract about the name (September 1st 1992) comes not long after Slash O'Ded and was briefly clinically dead. When Izzy came back to the band for those shows in '93 he said the rest of the band was a bunch of zombies, to the point that it fucked with him and was a reason he didn't actually rejoin--He couldn't in his eyes see his friends killing themselves).

Axl did some fucked up stuff during the UYI era, sure, but even Slash never has claimed he was more integral to he band than Axl...Nor has Izzy or anyone else. in fact, Slash listed his reasons for leaving GN'R in his autobiography and Axl's drive in GN'R or lack of, wasn't one of them.

Slash listed Axl's "drive" to take over the band and make the rest of the band his paid employees, like NuGnR is now, as one of the reasons for leaving.................

But what a minute--I thought Axl was being pulled along and propped up by Slash, that the rest of the band only worked "in spite" of him?

Either he was this untalented guy who was riding the coattails of others', or he was this ambitious guy who wanted to take GN'R into the 21st century. Can't really have it both ways.

I really enjoy listening to the new line up. They do some of the old stuff justice, eg Nightrain. The new band play that a lot better than the Original GN'R, in my opinion, of course.

I'm glad Axl enjoys playing with this current group, he looks happy with these guys when he's performing, and it shows in his performences. His vocals are far better and consistent than what they were in previous years.

But what a minute--I thought Axl was being pulled along and propped up by Slash, that the rest of the band only worked "in spite" of him?

Either he was this untalented guy who was riding the coattails of others', or he was this ambitious guy who wanted to take GN'R into the 21st century. Can't really have it both ways.

I never said Axl was untalented Miser those are your words...also never said he did not contribute but he did make things difficult to get done during the UYI years as all the other band members have said in numerous interviews..........your reading things that are not there trying to change he subject since I caught you making up a false alternate GnR history to fit your agenda.....try harder Miser as some of us are actually reading your propaganda and calling your bullshit............

Did he set them back anymore than Izzy not showing up to the studio for most of the sessions or Izzy, Duff and Steven arguing over whose contributions should take precedence did? Did he set them back anymore than Slash being fucked up or Steven being too fucked up to even play did?

Personally, I'm happy for the delays. If the UYIs had been released in 1989, they would've lacked many great songs written after 1989 like Estranged, Coma, etc, and also would've cemented them in history as being purely an '80s band and all of the negative feelings that go along with that. The delays allowed them to take what might've been a subpar 'sequel' to AFD and turn it into what are (IMO) their best albums.

Edited by Indigo Child

I never said Axl was untalented Miser those are your words...also never said he did not contribute but he did make things difficult to get done during the UYI years as all the other band members have said in numerous interviews..........your reading things that are not there trying to change he subject since I caught you making up a false alternate GnR history to fit your agenda.....try harder Miser as some of us are actually reading your propaganda and calling your bullshit............

Did he set them back anymore than Izzy not showing up to the studio for most of the sessions or Izzy, Duff and Steven arguing over whose contributions should take precedence did? Did he set them back anymore than Slash being fucked up or Steven being too fucked up to even play did?

Personally, I'm happy for the delays. If the UYIs had been released in 1989, they would've lacked many great songs written after 1989 like Estranged, Coma, etc, and also would've cemented them in history as being purely an '80s band and all of the negative feelings that go along with that. The delays allowed them to take what might've been a subpar 'sequel' to AFD and turn it into what are (IMO) their best albums.

I will give you one thing Miser you are very resiliant and fast on your feet by continually changing the subject after being caught bullshiting.............In any case I was simply responding to a poster who made Axl out to be some driving force which kept things moving which based on written history is just not the case.

Whether the delays Axl caused resulted in making UYI better is impossiible to prove but there is no denying there is some brilliant music on those albums and Axl had a big hand in creating it...Personally I would still love to hear the rough UYI demos without all of Axl's overdubbing Slash mentioned as being kick ass to compare to the finished products..... Then we would all have something interesting to debate!

He says in his book he doesn't have them anymore, or that they don't exist anymore. Something to that effect. Besides, the "rough UYI" was played on the Skin N' Bones tour, or at least that's how Slash makes it seem in his autobiography--that the Skin N' Bones tour version of the songs is the way HE wanted them.

I do think the delay made things better. A lot of the better songs were written in 1990. The big delay it seems was 1989. Slash writes in his book that he was worried they might break up due to a lack of activity and boredom that year. But I can understand Axl being hesitant. I mean, the aftershocks of going from being a nobody, a hick from Indiana, to one of the most popular singers in the world virtually overnight probably caught up with him that year. You have to remember--Slash was raised around rockstars, I mean David Bowie used to hang at his house as a kid. He was used to this sort of thing. Axl was a nobody who came from a tiny bumfuck town. It was probably incredibly overwhelming.

Mick Wall writes in his book that Axl tried to go incognito that year, growing a big red beard and wearing thick horn rimmed glasses to hide his identity--and I have seen pictures of him exactly like that, probably from that year. I think 1989 was basically a transitional year for all of them due to AFD becoming huge in '88.

Slash also writes that once Axl came out of his shell, things moved rather quickly--He actually felt like their recordings in 1990 were probably like what the Stones' recordings in the '70s were like--very "Family like" atmosphere. And 1990 had it's own problems too--They had to deal with Steven and the search for a drummer, which set them back, as well, plus Doug Goldstein set them up for the Rio gigs which Slash seems to imply none of them really felt ready to do, even though in retrospect it was a good thing.

Edited by Indigo Child

I will give you one thing Miser you are very resiliant and fast on your feet by continually changing the subject after being caught bullshiting.............In any case I was simply responding to a poster who made Axl out to be some driving force which kept things moving which based on written history is just not the case.

Whether the delays Axl caused resulted in making UYI better is impossiible to prove but there is no denying there is some brilliant music on those albums and Axl had a big hand in creating it...Personally I would still love to hear the rough UYI demos without all of Axl's overdubbing Slash mentioned as being kick ass to compare to the finished products..... Then we would all have something interesting to debate!

He says in his book he doesn't have them anymore, or that they don't exist anymore. Something to that effect. Besides, the "rough UYI" was played on the Skin N' Bones tour, or at least that's how Slash makes it seem in his autobiography--that the Skin N' Bones tour version of the songs is the way HE wanted them.

I do think the delay made things better. A lot of the better songs were written in 1990. The big delay it seems was 1989. Slash writes in his book that he was worried they might break up due to a lack of activity and boredom that year. But I can understand Axl being hesitant. I mean, the aftershocks of going from being a nobody, a hick from Indiana, to one of the most popular singers in the world virtually overnight probably caught up with him that year. You have to remember--Slash was raised around rockstars, I mean David Bowie used to hang at his house as a kid. He was used to this sort of thing. Axl was a nobody who came from a tiny bumfuck town. It was probably incredibly overwhelming.

Mick Wall writes in his book that Axl tried to go incognito that year, growing a big red beard and wearing thick horn rimmed glasses to hide his identity--and I have seen pictures of him exactly like that, probably from that year. I think 1989 was basically a transitional year for all of them due to AFD becoming huge in '88.

Slash also writes that once Axl came out of his shell, things moved rather quickly--He actually felt like their recordings in 1990 were probably like what the Stones' recordings in the '70s were like--very "Family like" atmosphere. And 1990 had it's own problems too--They had to deal with Steven and the search for a drummer, which set them back, as well, plus Doug Goldstein set them up for the Rio gigs which Slash seems to imply none of them really felt ready to do, even though in retrospect it was a good thing.

Slash may not have them anymore but I am willing to bet they exist in the vaults somewhere as Axl had to have a copy to work on adding all his overdubs and I have to believe there is a safety copy somewhere...Personally I thought the Skin N Bones tour was one of the best of the UYI tours and I preferred the stripped down sound but they did not play all of the songs from UYI which is why I would love to hear all of the UYI songs stripped down to the 5 man group......If nothing else it would make for some fresh debates on the forum.............

It's possible that Axl has them, but we'll never know I guess.

He did imply he kept the '94-'96 rehersal tapes in his chats here, so I would imagine he probably keeps most Guns stuff.

I hope ALL of it--Everything the band recorded from '90-'97--finds it's way to the public someday.

BTW--We do have some of the rough UYI recordings. There's a rough version of Civil War, there's a rough version of Coma, there's a rough version of Don't Damned Me and several other songs. There's an early acoustic version of "Yesterdays" out there, and some others. Plus we have the Q Sound demos as well.

Edited by Indigo Child

Slash may not have them anymore but I am willing to bet they exist in the vaults somewhere as Axl had to have a copy to work on adding all his overdubs and I have to believe there is a safety copy somewhere...Personally I thought the Skin N Bones tour was one of the best of the UYI tours and I preferred the stripped down sound but they did not play all of the songs from UYI which is why I would love to hear all of the UYI songs stripped down to the 5 man group......If nothing else it would make for some fresh debates on the forum.............

It's possible that Axl has them, but we'll never know I guess.

He did imply he kept the '94-'96 rehersal tapes in his chats here, so I would imagine he probably keeps most Guns stuff.

I hope ALL of it--Everything the band recorded from '90-'97--finds it's way to the public someday.

BTW--We do have some of the rough UYI recordings. There's a rough version of Civil War, there's a rough version of Coma, there's a rough version of Don't Damned Me and several other songs. There's an early acoustic version of "Yesterdays" out there, and some others. Plus we have the Q Sound demos as well.

If Axl was a big enough dick to fuck with Live Era by shamelessly re-recording bits of it, then there's NO WAY he's letting demo and rehearsal tapes out - that is unless - he re-records those too.

That said, I would absolutely love to get demo's from post UYI up until '96. I think it's pretty clear that there is simply not enough GNR material accessible to the public. Not even a good live cd.

Edited by GeorgeGlass