Is Estranged one of the worst videos of all time?

ptsondr

Estranged is a video with no destination like the band at that point. It has it's moments but is pointless and confusing as the band was at that time. When I think of my fav Illusion video it is always Garden of Eden. Just the band rocking out to some killer rock in roll with those amazing lyrics scrolling by-----As far as the estanged video ---It's kind of ironic cause the band members WERE estranged----still love the song though

I have to agree here. The November Rain video is pretty ridiculous in its scope but it somehow manages to remain focused enough to tell a story and be awesome at the same time. The Estranged video tries to do the same but fails, just a collection of images, not powerful at all.

NR = ridiculous+awesome, Estranged=ridiculous only

recently, i bought a projector and the first video i watched in huge size on my wall was "estranged".

i didn't like the video in the early days, when it was released.

now, i enjoy the homage to all the people involved in guns n' roses and all the fans (the concert in munich must have been great :) ).

....though the dolphins are a bit too much :)

I never liked the video nearly as much as the song but I think the shot of Slash rising up out of the water playing that awesome solo is pretty incredible. Maybe a little OTT but it fits the solo perfectly to me.

I've always been curious as to what it would've been like if Stephanie Seymour hadn't broken up with Axl before that video. I've never seen the making of video. Does it talk about what the original ideas for the video were?

So that generic kid-cuddling at 1.59 is just a reference to Dylan? The mom in the foreground could be anybody I guess. Or the footage could be pre-split.

What a stupid, stupid thread. Estranged is one of the best videos of all time, not the worst. This is the song/video that got me into Guns N' Roses. The vid fits the song perfectly and would go as far as saying that it is just as good as November Rain, but that it was overshadowed by it.

It would have been better if they just stuck to the live footage at the start and end of the video. That show in Munich looked pretty sweet BTW, Slash jumping about with that cool double-neck....

LA

It is indeed pretty awesome and the video is good when it sticks to that footage i.e. up until the 4:00 mark. It's only downhill from there.

I like the video, sure it's way over the top but it's one of the Epics, so it's all good. The only down-side is that it somehow doesn't seem to make sense. I'll never get the Dolphin at the end and the staged "live" scenes. The scenes from Munich are awesome, everytime I go through the Olympiapark I think of the video and the scenes where people are running to the stadium.

I like the video, sure it's way over the top but it's one of the Epics, so it's all good. The only down-side is that it somehow doesn't seem to make sense. I'll never get the Dolphin at the end and the staged "live" scenes. The scenes from Munich are awesome, everytime I go through the Olympiapark I think of the video and the scenes where people are running to the stadium.

the roof construction of the olympic stadium is very famous.

i'm an archtiect and had to study the construction at university.

it was funny, i always thought about estranged. :)

you can see a bit of the construction in the scene where all the people are running to the stage.

I'll never get the Dolphin at the end and the staged "live" scenes.

It's probably supposed to symbolize freedom, peace of mind, serenity. That's what the second half of the song is about, isn't it? Accepting loss and moving on.

I saw the 'Making Of' videos years ago and I vaguely remember they explained a lot of scenes. I don't remember what exactly those explanations were (I'd like to watch them again sometime) but I expect everything is there.

And yet....Michael Jackson's Thriller is considered the greatest of all time.

:shrugs:

It totally is :thumbsup:

Estranged is a complex song. I couldn't imagine a more rock n' roll/ straight video for it. Yes the video is over the top but wouldn't you go o.t.t. if you had the resources?

That's my point. Think about every MJ video made post Thriller. Think about the Black Or White video or Smooth Criminal. They were fucking MOVIES for crying out loud. If you compare the production and budgets of those videos to Estranged, they DWARF it.

But of course, it's ok for MJ.

I think you miss the point of the first post. When GN'R first came onto the scene they were a badass rock band, not a band that would make grandiose videos featuring dolphins and dream sequences. MJ was always a pop act and was interested in entertaining the masses with both his song and videos.

First off, why all the hate on Shannon Hoon??? Shannon Hoon was a GREAT singer. Better than Axl (not a better frontman), better than Baz, and both have been quoted as saying so (don't respond by asking me to provide proof, look it up yourself) Unfortuantely Shannon robbed himself and everyone else of hearing how great he could have been. He was from the same area of indiana Axl was from, and Axl gave the guy a shot. Whats wrong with that??? Estranged was over the top, that was the fucking point!! We are GNR, we can do this, so can Michael Jackson, and Madonna, but nobody else can. MJ and Madonna are pretty elite company. As far as NOBODY else did this kind of video..it's because they couldnt. Does it seem cheesy and off the wall now?? Yeah maybe, but so fuckin' what, go watch Breakin The Law by Judas Priest, or any other video from the early 90's, they all suck now. But none of those videos had roads as rivers, lead guitars players walking on water (of which by the way if Axl hated Slash at this point I don't believe he'd of had him repeating a feat of Jesus in a video) and swimming with dolphins. Fuck N' A, I'd go swim with some dolphins right now if I could!!! Estranged the song was ahead of it's time, Estranged the video was far beyond epic for it's time.

Edited by ll_tj1

It was a good video, in my opinion. Not amazing but not terrible either. The main point of why it isn't great (to me) is that none of it really 'fits' together, it's seems as though they filmed various random scenarios and then put them together to make the video. Starting off with Axls house being raided and then somehow by the end of the video we end up with an extremely 'creepy' looking Axl and a dolphin. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting it but it just makes no sense to me, at all.

Edited by Rose Mathers