GNR Nicknames

spunko12345

Lets face it we all love a good nickname, and if a group of guys called Bill, Mike, Jeff, Steve and Saul (ok Saul is cooll) came out in the mid 80's with a song like Welcome To The Jungle it wouldnt seem right. They sound like a bunch of plumbers your dad is mates with.

And it continues with Nu Gnr. Ron and Brian were the scintillating guitarists responsible for writing and delivering Chinese Democracy.

Step forward on Keys Mr Darren Arthur Reed

I bet none of their friends gave them the nicknames Bumblefoot and Buckethead. Lets face it, if a friend gives you a nickname its probably gonna be something mildly insulting and not gonna be something cool like that. I just think Ron and Brian quite liked the idea of being called Bumblefoot and Buckethead for reasons I cant fully comprehend.

Duff is the best/stupidest though. I love the guy but, Duff? It sounds like Axl, Slash and Izzy got the cool monikers and Duff got the leftovers and steven was too pissed to care.

Lets face it we all love a good nickname, and if a group of guys called Bill, Mike, Jeff, Steve and Saul (ok Saul is cooll) came out in the mid 80's with a song like Welcome To The Jungle it wouldnt seem right. They sound like a bunch of plumbers your dad is mates with.

And it continues with Nu Gnr. Ron and Brian were the scintillating guitarists responsible for writing and delivering Chinese Democracy.

I bet none of their friends gave them the nicknames Bumblefoot and Buckethead. Lets face it, if a friend gives you a nickname its probably gonna be something mildly insulting and not gonna be something cool like that. I just think Ron and Brian quite liked the idea of being called Bumblefoot and Buckethead for reasons I cant fully comprehend.

Duff is the best/stupidest though. I love the guy but, Duff? It sounds like Axl, Slash and Izzy got the cool monikers and Duff got the leftovers and steven was too pissed to care.

I wanna date a chick named Izzy.

It's a hot kinda name.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

The MTV A to Z show pointed out that Bill, Mike, Jeff, Steve and Saul would be the names of members in an old fashioned boyband.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

The MTV A to Z show pointed out that Bill, Mike, Jeff, Steve and Saul would be the names of members in an old fashioned boyband.

Well bugger me with a fish fork, I never.

it was a real show with cameras and all

I wanna date a chick named Izzy.

It's a hot kinda name.

Katherine Heigl's character is named Izzie...close enough.

Izzie_Stevens.jpg

Ace of Cakes Duff Goldman

20080912-facetime-450.jpg

I'm guessing Duff Beer (King of Beers) in the Simpsons was named after Duff? Anybody confirm this? Or was it the other way around?

If there is a connection, I know the creators/writers are big Guns N' Roses fans and have used various songs (notably Jungle in a few episodes) as well as based Otto on Slash. That being said, I'm unsure of what point into the series Duff Beer first made an appearance so whether it was named after Duff is hard to say.

Off topic, I work at a gift shop in Niagara Falls and we sell some Simpsons merchandise. We have a Duff Beer bikini and one time I overheard a lady read it and say "Duff Beer? Must be a Canadian brand!" :lol:

I'm guessing Duff Beer (King of Beers) in the Simpsons was named after Duff? Anybody confirm this? Or was it the other way around?

The beer was named after Duff

I don't think so...

The Simpsons debuted in December 1989...

I don't think Duff got the "King of Beers" nickname until the Illusion tour, which started in May 1991.

Duff himself has said that Duff Beer was named after him. I can't find it now, but it was one of his SeattleWeekly.com columns.

(I actually saw about dozen cases of Duff Beer a couple of days ago. It was cool. I live in Finland, so that shit isn't everyday-stuff to me.)

Duff is great! It's SO him!

Axl and Slash, I'm not crazy about, they try too hard to be cool. And Izzy doesn't count, cuz it comes from his name.

But Duff fitted him perfectly. Not anymore though, but when he was young and always had that drunk face on and spoke with a slur I can't imagine him being called anything but Duff.