Official TV Show discussion

SunnyDRE

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe no-one's said 24 yet... You could lose over a week of your life to that show and not grudge any of it, It was so consistently good... just like one long extremely awesome action film but with real emotional elements.

A wildcard I'm going to mention Garth Marenghi's Darkplace a genius cult comedy based around an intentionally bad horror show. Hilarity ensues, watch it... seriously.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5549328067719771845#

Guest Len B'stard

Shouldn't that be truncated movies? Anyway, television is insulting and made for retarded people. That's not to say the people who watch it are retards, it's just a soft option for people that don't want to use their brains. Conceptually at least i almost prefer reality shows to most of what passes or used to pass for televised sitcoms/serials etc.

Edited by sugaraylen

Shouldn't that be truncated movies?

I meant serialized shows, that follow a single story line over many episodes, I should have mentioned. Although even story-of-the-week type shows always have some sort of thread throughout.

it's just a soft option for people that don't want to use their brains.

That's bollocks. That's just you being prejudiced about it. There's nothing wrong with it conceptually. It's just that it's more versatile than the big screen, and that means it unfortunately and inevitably also allows for some seriously bad shit.

I don't see what the big problem is that makes scripted and acted tv shows that much worse than movies. They're both moving pictures used to tell stories. That's all.

At least watch The Wire. Have you seen The Wire? Watch that (http://isohunt.com/torrents/the+wire?iht=-1&ihp=1&ihs1=1&iho1=d) and tell me again that television is the plague.

Guest Len B'stard
That's bollocks. That's just you being prejudiced about it. There's nothing wrong with it conceptually. It's just that it's more versatile than the big screen, and that means it unfortunately and inevitably also allows for some seriously bad shit.

Just like the big screen television is polluted by commerce only there are two main differences, first of all not all movies are made with the masses in mind and therefore are afforded a degree of integrity that television lacks and the second is that, even with the masses in mind a movie has 90 plus minutes within which to say something, a TV show has less time and by virtue of this it is a lot more easily overcome with the more ham-fisted aspects of commercial appeal, as opposed to the subtle artistic nuances that perhaps a 90 minute movie can worm into something that is basically a corporate investment. Unless of course there is a TV show out there (and i have yet to hear of one or concieve of the notion of one being greenlit) where artistic expression takes prescdence over commercial viability. There is arthouse cinema, i have yet to hear of arthouse television.

And no, i have never seen The Wire but i'll have a crack at it if you say its cool :)

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

tv has produced more memorable characters than film over the last decade or so.

So has Death Row...did i just invent a brilliant new reality show?

Unlike the movie making which arguably peaked in the 70s and has devolved since, tv has evolved quite a lot. Seems to me like you're having a very outdated view on tv shows. VERY outdated. TV has actually been at its best in the last decade and it's come a very long way even since the 90s in absolutely every genre (maybe except comedy, which started evolving earlier, in the early 90s).

And tv shows can have way more time to present themselves than movies. I recommended The Wire to you: that's basically a 60 hour movie. I've been finding difficult personally to watch movies in the past few years BECAUSE they are too short. It seems to me like there just isn't enough time to showcase and shape a character, to properly build a plot etc.

And the closest thing you have on tv to quality completely trumping commercial appeal is HBO shows. (Rome, Carnivale, Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under off the top of my head)

Guest Len B'stard

Thanks, maybe i should give TV more of a shot at the title, you're right, it's been a great long time since i've given the tube a decent day in court, it just feels so insulting i have trouble watching it in sittings that extend beyond 15 minutes, not cuz it's beneath me or anything it's just when i'm sitting down you have to hold my attention or i tend to fall asleep. But yeah, Wendy Williams, TRL, Jerry Springer, 90210, Glee, Hannah Montana, Behind the Music? Doesn't exactly crank my cock...

• 1 month later...