Ambitious initiative to get Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal's new cover in the iTunes song chart.

Chinese Destruction

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/89au0r

When I had a look at the iTunes song chart today I was greeted by names such as Bruno Mars, (Puff Daddy's latest synonym) “Diddy” and Britney Spears.

I concluded that the dire state of mainsteam music is cringeworthy.

Then I pondered to myself, how could we, as fans of Guns N' Roses, deliver a huge “Fuck you” to what is percieved be “normal” music?

At this point it dawned on me. GN'R guitarist and champion of the non-mainstream Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal recently released a cover of the Four Tops Motown classic “Bernadette”.

“What a perfect mechanism to signal our frustrations at what is deemed okay to listen to!” I thought.

I firmly believe that if we all buy Ron's single and position him in the charts (as high as possible obviously) then we will accurately represent the minority who opt to favour composition which isn't fortunate enough to be plastered on every nook and cranny of society.

Not only that but we'll be helping a genuinely nice guy (who is also arguably one of the best technical guitarists in the world) become liberated from the supressions of modern day “music”.

Who's with me?

* http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bernadette-single/id415822662 *

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/89b8mt

Ever wondered how you could thank (implicitly) Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal for personally greeting you before or after a Guns N' Roses gig? Ever thought “just how could I help this guy whose went out of his way to ensure my satisfaction”?

Ever felt like you need to make a statement about the condition of popular music?

Ever wanted to become involved in a legitimate campaign to put real musicians before Disney sponsored wannabes?

If you are edging (even remotely) towards a “yes” on any of the above then I would implore thee to get involved in our initiative and help make something special happen.

#BuyBernadette

* http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bernadette-single/id415822662 *

I support it. Primaily because of Thal's genuine regard for his fans as well as his very good musical efforts (particularly with this cover). I think the statement being made (aside from the Guns side of it all) is pretty cool also.

well i'd support this but i don't use the itunes store

good luck

Why not?

>paying for digital music

:crazy:

you never buy music? Even cd's are digital! Honestly I prefer cd's myself but I do sometimes purchase a song of itunes if it is worth it, this is IMO

well i'd support this but i don't use the itunes store

good luck

Why not?

>paying for digital music

:crazy:

you never buy music? Even cd's are digital! Honestly I prefer cd's myself but I do sometimes purchase a song of itunes if it is worth it, this is IMO

I buy CDs from time to time, but I see absolutely no point in purchasing music off of the iTunes store. It just feels like a corporate joke.

If I had money on my paypal I'd buy it from BBF's site, but not itunes.

Yeah but this isn't about financing iTunes. It's a one off campaign to put a real musician in what's supposed to be a musically orientated chart. If the mechanism to buy “Bernadette” on Ron's site had a well regarded chart (which I don't believe is the case), then I presume the attention would be focused there.

Yeah but this isn't about financing iTunes. It's a one off campaign to put a real musician in what's supposed to be a musically orientated chart. If the mechanism to buy “Bernadette” on Ron's site had a well regarded chart (which I don't believe is the case), then I presume the attention would be focused there.

You honestly think a few hundred (and that's if you're lucky) people buying a single on iTunes is going to get it onto ANY chart?

Think about it this way. Those songs at the top of the charts are purchased by millions of people every day. There is absolutely no way in hell that Bumblefoot could get what is required to get up there. It simply cannot be done.

You honestly think a few hundred (and that's if you're lucky) people buying a single on iTunes is going to get it onto ANY chart?

Think about it this way. Those songs at the top of the charts are purchased by millions of people every day. There is absolutely no way in hell that Bumblefoot could get what is required to get up there. It simply cannot be done.

Wasn't Chinese Democracy first on the charts for a while? It was a least top three. I'd be interested to know how many were sold online.

On topic, I love Ron, but this ain't happening. More hope waiting for the next GNR single and buying that.

Wasn't Chinese Democracy first on the charts for a while? It was a least top three. I'd be interested to know how many were sold online.

On topic, I love Ron, but this ain't happening. More hope waiting for the next GNR single and buying that.

Yeah, it would work with something like Chinese Democracy, because that's the album chart. Less people buy albums on iTunes than they do singles, and all of the top singles on iTunes are top 40 shit like Kesha and Gaga. There is ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING WAY bumblefoot can compete with those.

Try it with BBF's next album. You might get it into the top 100.

Try it with BBF's next album. You might get it into the top 100.

This.

The objective is to get as many people as possible to go and buy “Bernadette”. Because they're a fan of Ron's solo work, or because they're a fan of GN'R , because they're a fan of the non-mainstream or possibly even because they want a mechanism to protest with.

The idea is to tap into as many markets as possible and get a spark going. Sure it seems like an impossible feat (and it could well be), but it's worth a shot. And even if “Bernadette” doesn't get into the charts, a vast increase in sales will still be making a legitimate statement.

The objective is to get as many people as possible to go and buy “Bernadette”. Because they're a fan of Ron's solo work, or because they're a fan of GN'R , because they're a fan of the non-mainstream or possibly even because they want a mechanism to protest with.

The idea is to tap into as many markets as possible and get a spark going. Sure it seems like an impossible feat (and it could well be), but it's worth a shot. And even if “Bernadette” doesn't get into the charts, a vast increase in sales will still be making a legitimate statement.

i like your enthusiasm :thumbsup:

This really won't make a "statement". But I bought it to support ron and it is a great tune

There are multiple statements that can be made from people engaging in this campaign.

For example: “I support Ron Thal (be it because of his solo contributions or otherwise) so I'm going to purchase his new cover song”. This initiative is a good way of conveying the fans' thanks for his endless efforts (in terms of both solo related stuff and Guns).

It's making a statement of unconditional support and thanks. And it also offers the wider public (non-hardcore fanbase) an opportunity to opt for a real musician as opposed to a commercialized “pop star” who has their songs written for them, and has their fans satisfied through numerous hired peoples specifically for the latter purpose etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Chinese Destruction