Favorite moments on Chiense Democracy

WhazUp

chinese democracy: the chorus is great

shacklers revenge: the deep voice axl does after the first chorus is always good

better: right after bucket's solo, the really heavy part where axl starts screaming

street of dreams: ive noticed that bumble does a really cool little solo while axl sings right before the outro

if the world: bucket's solo and the riffing in the song is great

twat: robin and bucket's solos and the chorus

catcher: bumbles solo to robin's solo and the nah nah nah parts

scraped: great song overall

riad: another great rocker overall

sorry: sebastian bach's scream at the end is fucking badass

irs: robin and bucket's solos are both great, i wish dj didnt kinda shred during robin's solo intead of following it exactly

maddy: bucket's solo is fucking sweet, gives me chills

this i love: robins solo is fucking great, again i wish dj didnt do that shredding when doing it live but it works better then when he shreds during the irs solo

prostitute: both bucket solos are great along with the epic riffing around the orchestra

Last time I listened to Shacklers I noticed the muse type guitar playing along and the deep Believe vocal. Also the outro to Prostitute, it almost sounds like it could be an intro. Noticed the solo on scraped too.

Chinese Democracy: the moment the guitar kicks in

Shacker: Ron's solo

Better: the mindblowing Bucket solo, leading to the interlude

SOD: first chorus ("I just dont know what I should do..")

If The World: the random na, naa na na, naa na naa na na.... part

TWAT: the moment when the first verse begins and Axl starts singing

Catcher: of course the na naa naa part

Scraped: the Mickey Mouse screams over the final chorus "I'd give anything to know..."

Riad: second chorus (longer than the first one)

Sorry: the whistling in the background during the second (or is it third) verse

IRS: it's such a crime you know its TRUEEEE

Madagascar: the first chorus "oh no, I..."

TIL: the solo and everything that goes on during it

prostitute: the outro

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

“Chinese Democracy” - “And you're out of time”. Solo from 3:23.

“Shackler's” - Intro. “I don't believe there's a reason” sections. 2:18 solo.

“Better” - Heavy bit mid way (where Axl jumps up and down live).

“Street Of Dreams” - Solo from 2:38 to 3:00.

“If The World” - Solo from 3:19 to 3:48.

“There Was A Time” - I love everything about this song. Particularly “But there was a time” and “I would do anything for you” vocals wise. Solo from 4:24 as well (just insanely brilliant).

“Catcher” - “Uh, oh” at 1:52. “Na na” bit. Solo at 2:23.

“Scraped” - Intro. Solo from 1:58.

“Riad” - The intensity and Axl's demon like vocals. 2:53 solo (epic).

“Sorry” - Axl's haunting, heartfelt vocals. Kick ass lyrics. The way the solo slides in is amazing (love the solo itself as well).

“I.R.S” - The way the track speeds up uncontrollably at 1:04 (like how Axl copes with it). Solo at 1:25.

“Madagascar” - Intro. Axl's crisp vocals (the unbelievable high note at 1:19). Just everything going on there is fantastic (I'd put it on par with “There Was A Time). Solo from 3:06 accompanied by King etc. is mindblowing.

“This I Love” - Imagery. Axl's passion and emotion. The solo is pretty tidy as well.

“Prostitute” - Lyrics. Message. Nifty solo.

Taking the album apart like this makes you realize just how incredible it actually is.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

• 2 years later...

The intro to the record is fitting the voices and whispers serve to build anticipation

the epic Buckethead solo on TWAT is right up there, if not the single greatest moment on the record. I love the vocal wailing that leads into it. You can feel Axl's pain. The guitar on the chorus sounds nuclear. Just a great song all the way through.

that industrial prog jam on Better is astounding as is the Finck solo that follows it. Vocally Axl sounds sharp, crisp, raspy.

"There's a hell I can't describe" on SOD is darkly funny, vintage Axl

Catcher in the Rye lyrics rank amongst the best Axl has ever written. The solo is great, the outro is great.

The last 45 secs or so of Riad is a great jam, really displays the musicality of the band. It sounds like it could go on indefinitely and leaves me wanting more.

The "I don't want to do it" bit on Sorry is priceless. I dig the venomous, unrepentant lyrics on the song.

IRS sounds like a guitar blitzkrieg. The vocal wail and shred solo toward the end is killer.

This I love- passionate vocals, one of my favorite guitar solos of all time

Prostitute- great closer, sounds like he made it through the storm, he still feels the pain, but has come to terms with it. Excellent arrangement, stunning guitar work

• Like 1

The little "ooh" on Chi dem, The deep Believe on shackler's, Better solo, "What this means to me…" SOD, ITW the effects at the start as the channels change, The Choir on TWAT, The backing vocals on Catcher "aww woo aww woo".

For me since 2011 I would say If The World has really stood out to me, especially the outro and moments leading up to Bucket's solo. The acoustic guitar gives a really chill vibe, I really like the way that those sections sound.

That little synthy bit in Catcher right before the na na na bit kicks in... I preferred it on the demo, but it's still a favourite of mine for some odd reason.

I like that bit too, like all the instruments drop a bit to let that keyboard through for a moment.

Tbh the whole damn album! It's over 5 years old and we still analyse every single track like it's the first time we've heard it, tbh i was happy with the wait each track was layered, complicated and beautiful & in a sense the closest axl rose autobiography we will ever get, Just don't want to wait that long again haha

• Like 1

The solo at the end of Shackler's, Robin's solo on Better, ITW intro when the orchestra steps in and the chorus when the big chuncky guitara come in, Bucket's TWAT solo, CITR outro, IRS's "you know it's truuueee", Axl's vocals in Maddy, Prostitute as a whole. I love the whole album but these are the momenta that give me the chills.

Yeah, I forgot all about the Shacklers solo. Also love that synth part in Catchers too. I though they made good use of the synths on the whole album- especially on songs like Catcher on TWAT they help propel and transition the songs. The guitar at the end of Sorry stands out, also that whiskey throat vocal on Maddy.

To this day, there's little things that I pick up on that I didn't notice prior to. There's just such a wealth of music on the album. Its like there's 3-4 songs within each track. The sound is perfected down to the most minute detail. There's no wasted sonic space whatsoever.

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 1

My top five would be:

TWAT - Bucket's Guitar solo

CITR - Axl's backing vocals

Scraped - Axl's multiple vocals (not sure how to call it)

TIL - The beauty of Robin's solo with Axl's piano and everything else altogether

Better - The heavy bridge

Anyway I could be here for hours just like many others speaking of the insane heavy guitar riffs + crazy drums of Riad, the rawness n' agressivity of CD (the song) as a whole thing, Axl's angry vocals and the cool changing riffs and parts of IRS, the complex way Madagascar works so well with all those movie lines getting together with the harmony of the song and the solo and with the lyrics, the smooth cool vibe + the great vocals of ITW, the powerful piece that is Shackler's with the psycho vocals mixed with heavy parts, rock parts and a part that is almost disco all mixed and working perfectly, the Sabbath vibe of Sorry with Bucket's solo that is more blues than anything else Slash ever did in Guns (in my humble opinion), the epic ending of Prostitute (drums are soooo perfect in this song, the piano at the chorus is intense as hell and the guitar solos... not to mention the vibe when it's over).

And the lyrics. So good to get a record that isn't 100% based on the same old same old sex, drugs, rn'r. And maybe that's one of the reasons some people don't get the album, because they don't understand the lyrics. Not that I do 100% but even Axl said that would be better if he didn't talk too much about it so people could have their own visions and ideas of the songs for themselves (he didn't say these specific words, but the idea was that, in one of the interviews of 2009 if I'm not mistaken).

Speaking of Chinese, Lars Ulrich said the other day that St. Anger will be their Sabbath's Born Again. Because when Born Again was released everybody hated, didn't understand it and now it's one of their biggest classics, even without Ozzy. Not here to discuss St Anger, but I do see CD the same way. In 5, 10, 15 years from now, this record will be among the biggest classics of the first decade of this century.

I still remember hardcore fans pissed of in 1991 about Use Your Illusion. I remember some people complaining about the "endless boring song without chorus" from Rock in Rio II - they were talking about Estranged, The same people who were about to have a heart attack when Estranged was back in the set list because now it's one of the band's best songs. Funny how some people need time to change.

I was watching Back to the Future. After the end of Michael J. Fox's guitar solo, people stare at him with a "what the fuck?!" look. He goes to the mike and says something like "Wow you're not ready for this yet". The same with Oh My God, with CD and probably with the next album.

• Like 1

I love the intro to CD - works really well as the opener at shows too

Better - love the bridge and solo

TWAT - the Bucket solo is immense and the bit where he toggles between the pickups makes me spunk!

Maddy - The bit after the quotes where Axl comes back in

This I love - The solo is huge

Prostitute - The outro is beautiful

Loads of other moments worthy of a mention like Axls scream in IRS, The chanting in Shacklers, The "but I don't want to do it" bit in Sorry.

Such an amazing album, I truly love it!