Best Intro Song

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The intro of CD makes for a good concert intro, but the initial energy of the crowd at the band coming out (and seeing Axl spring towards them) just about carries them through the song. I heard alot of people saying it was something of an anticlimactic start but then thats because Jungle followed it which obviously many more people had turned up to hear. Plus the extended and awesome Jungle intro makes that feel like when the concert really starts anyway so it is the obvious choice.

When it started though and the last note was playing with Axl standing up on the monitors I remember thinking how incredible it would be if they did a CD show playing it front to back - then also the momentum would be entirely with the songs rather than part time fans enthusiasm.

I do agree with whoever said it only works as the first song though, it is just kind of a few minutes burst of energy rather than a great live song.

Nightrain wouldn't really work as an opener anymore given how amazing the outro of it is these days, works perfectly as a closer before the encore to my mind.

Maybe You Could Be Mine could work, drums kick in, guitars start wailing then Axl sprints out. Crowd favourite but also unexpected.

Edited by JAC185

I haven't seen GNR live in 2010, but yet on youtube it gave me chills, every time I saw the silhouette of Ashba going up in the front of the red screen...and the pyro afterwards

awesome

This. I mean it is the CD tour so they're right to change it up. Then the crows is amped up for Jungle!

Chinese Democracy all the way.

That quiet build up and tickling of guitar strings before the sound builds, then BANG and its all action GO GO GO!

Seriously, until you see it live you won't get it.

I have the opening 40 seconds on my iPhone and it has been there since Manchester in September or October.

I was thinking about it today.. I think part of the appeal subconsciously is the word WELCOME in the song. It's like welcome to the jungle, welcome to the world of GNR welcome to the show. It just doesn't fit right anywhere else. Not even as the first song of the outro. I agree with whoever said CD would be a good first song of the outro.

CD is actually a damn good opener. The intro works really well in a live setting. Song falls a bit flat for me after about the opening minute though. I like that they used it this tour.

However, WTTJ is the best opening song of all time, and one of the best songs ever, period.

I've already voted and said I preferred Chinese, but I would like to add that I DO NOT like how they play both back to back. They should pick one of the two to open the show, and the other to open the encore. That would be sick...

Good point. I agree!

They are both opener style songs and back to back is too weird because they both have a killer intro.

I'm going to go with Jungle as the intro and CD as the encore intro.

I think CD wins!

But it you would have included ISE then I would have voted for that. It opened all three shows I seen back in the AFD era and the place always went nuts and they where the openers. Kind of sets the tone with a big "Fuck Off" right in the middle of it!!!

I was kind of let down when I seen them in 91 and 92 when they opened with Nightrain. They just played that song painfully SLOW during the UYI tour!!! But the when Bumble came that song has so much more energy, I guess because it was at a faster tempo which made it a much better concert song.

Edited by bigcountry

I'm not too big on either being an opener. IMO I'd have to say that Back Off Bitch would be a great opener. It has that teaser of an opening to it an' launches straight into the song without being too slow or too fast, the perfect kinda song to start the crowd going with. Pity they rarely to seldom played it, would have been perfect opener as far as I'm concerned.