Is this guy in this video Paul Huge?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a pretty creative guy but I prefer Richard

Why do people always praise Richard? He hasn't really played on much GN'R wise, and as far as I know hasn't written a single song that's been released. Touring is one thing but IMO the studio is the real test. Some of the best (new) GN'R compositions were co-written by or had imput from Paul.

Why do people always praise Richard? He hasn't really played on much GN'R wise, and as far as I know hasn't written a single song that's been released. Touring is one thing but IMO the studio is the real test. Some of the best (new) GN'R compositions were co-written by or had imput from Paul.

Good point. However the SOD outro solo is ingenious and there's a studio version of the 007 theme, great stuff. I prefer Richard's tone too.

But yeah Paul did some brilliant writing too. I wish there was more information available on him and what exact parts he played or came up with.

Good point. However the SOD outro solo is ingenious and there's a studio version of the 007 theme, great stuff. I prefer Richard's tone too.

But yeah Paul did some brilliant writing too. I wish there was more information available on him and what exact parts he played or came up with.

Me too. One thing I've always disliked about Guns (and a lot of other rock bands) is that they're never that clear on who came up with what part in a song.

For example, let's take the Stones--The song Lady Jane. Now that song is dominated by Brian Jones on the dulcimer and Nicky Hopkins on harpsichord, yet the song is attributed to "Jagger/Richards"--I'm pretty certain that Keith didn't write Brian's dulcimer parts or Nicky's harpsichord parts. Or the song "Sway"--A song that doesn't even include Keith Richards and features an amazing solo by Mick Taylor--is attributed to Jagger/Richards.

Look at TWAT. I doubt Axl or Paul wrote Bucket's solo, yet only Axl and Paul get a songwriting credit for it.

I wish credits would be really concise, almost obsessively so, telling us who wrote and plays exactly what part. I want to be able to listen to GN'R songs be built from the bottom up--the anatomy of a song.

Me too. One thing I've always disliked about Guns (and a lot of other rock bands) is that they're never that clear on who came up with what part in a song.

For example, let's take the Stones--The song Lady Jane. Now that song is dominated by Brian Jones on the dulcimer and Nicky Hopkins on harpsichord, yet the song is attributed to "Jagger/Richards"--I'm pretty certain that Keith didn't write Brian's dulcimer parts or Nicky's harpsichord parts. Or the song "Sway"--A song that doesn't even include Keith Richards and features an amazing solo by Mick Taylor--is attributed to Jagger/Richards.

Look at TWAT. I doubt Axl or Paul wrote Bucket's solo, yet only Axl and Paul get a songwriting credit for it.

I wish credits would be really concise, almost obsessively so, telling us who wrote and plays exactly what part. I want to be able to listen to GN'R songs be built from the bottom up--the anatomy of a song.

Completely agree

I doubt Axl or Paul wrote Bucket's solo,

you never know :tongue2:

Completely agree

I doubt Axl or Paul wrote Bucket's solo,

you never know :tongue2:

It's possible. Duff in the mid 90s said Axl was really good on the guitar, better even than Izzy, and Matt said pretty much the same except the Izzy part.

"For the last couple of years, [Axl] started to go, 'Okay, I'm going to play guitar and actually learn what these notes are.' It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did.'" (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"Right now, Axl's playing [rhythm] guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for 10 years." (Matt, 1996)

"Axl is rhythm guitar on his own songs for the time being." (Slash chat, 07/30/96)

Edited by Indigo Child

I agree, I also think exactly the same with Robin Finck.

Regarding Use you Illusion credits, you can see the main writer of the song placed first (like most of rock band does). For example, in Coma, Locomotive, Civil War or Bad Apple you can see "Slash" placed first because he created the most part of the music or all music, and then Axl add the lyrics and melodies, the same with Izzy's song. Why first the music writter?, becasue usually, your first create the instrumental base (music) and then the lyric.

In Chinese Democracy, Rose is placed first on credits because he was the main writter of the songs and the man in charge of the proyect. I'm sure Axl in CD wrote much more music than used to write in Izzy/Slash times.

Edited by sergiodefenders

I think you mean you wish they were not so concise. Concise means brief and to the point. I agree though, I find it really interesting to know who wrote what but that would be really long-winded to note in the album sleeve.

Just by convention, guitar solos do not usually warrant songwriting credits. Nor do drum/bass parts. Typically someone would need to contribute significantly to chord progression, arrangement, lyrics, melodies (vocal) or even guitar riffs.

Some bands prearrange a percentage split though and just say "written by (insert group name)". Those ones are the worst to figure out who really wrote what!

I think you mean you wish they were not so concise. Concise means brief and to the point. I agree though, I find it really interesting to know who wrote what but that would be really long-winded to note in the album sleeve.

Just by convention, guitar solos do not usually warrant songwriting credits. Nor do drum/bass parts. Typically someone would need to contribute significantly to chord progression, arrangement, lyrics, melodies (vocal) or even guitar riffs.

Some bands prearrange a percentage split though and just say "written by (insert group name)". Those ones are the worst to figure out who really wrote what!

Old GN'R had such a percentage system. Axl spoke about it in court in 1993 during the Adler case. I'll try to find the quote. The method was devised by Slash and was very complex.

It was devise by Axl, not Slash:

Slash: In the end Axl finished his work, but fuck, those two records cost a fortune to make - and I'm talking studio time alone. This was when Axl started getting obsessive about the details of everything to do with Guns n' Roses, starting with the publishing splits of the songs on Illusion I and II. The days of band members getting a straight 20 percent were long gone because they were so many outside writers this go-round, especially on the old songs that existed before Guns that were now in equation, such as "Back Off Bitch". We also had to factor in Matt, who wasn't a full-fledged member: he hadn't been around during the writing of the songs, though he's played on all of them. In the end, because of contributors like Paul Huge and West Arkeen and Del James, Axl insisted upon splits that were like 22.75 percent or 32.2 percent per song for us core members. [...] The songs we worked on in Chicago also posed a problem because those months were so disjointed, and for the most part, Axl wasn't even there, so the splits he devised for songs like "Garden of Eden", "Don't Damn Me" and "Get In The Ring" were totally arbitrary; Duff and I wrote them instrumentally when Axl wasn't even in the room. There were piano-driven songs with complex guitar parts that I'd had to write and arrange that I wasn't even being given a songwriting credit. It was the same with "November Rain" and "Estranged" to be specific. It concerned me, to say the least, but I chose to overlook it.

Edited by sergiodefenders

Slash: In the end Axl finished his work, but fuck, those two records cost a fortune to make - and I'm talking studio time alone. This was when Axl started getting obsessive about the details of everything to do with Guns n' Roses, starting with the publishing splits of the songs on Illusion I and II. The days of band members getting a straight 20 percent were long gone because they were so many outside writers this go-round, especially on the old songs that existed before Guns that were now in equation, such as "Back Off Bitch". We also had to factor in Matt, who wasn't a full-fledged member: he hadn't been around during the writing of the songs, though he's played on all of them. In the end, because of contributors like Paul Huge and West Arkeen and Del James, Axl insisted upon splits that were like 22.75 percent or 32.2 percent per song for us core members. [...] The songs we worked on in Chicago also posed a problem because those months were so disjointed, and for the most part, Axl wasn't even there, so the splits he devised for songs like "Garden of Eden", "Don't Damn Me" and "Get In The Ring" were totally arbitrary; Duff and I wrote them instrumentally when Axl wasn't even in the room. There were piano-driven songs with complex guitar parts that I'd had to write and arrange that I wasn't even being given a songwriting credit. It was the same with "November Rain" and "Estranged" to be specific. It concerned me, to say the least, but I chose to overlook it.

Yeah, I don't think guitar solos always should equal a songwriting credit, but November Rain and Estranged are two where Slash should've gotten a co-written by credit without any argument. Many would argue his work on those are what makes the songs great....he shouldn't have overlooked that. If he was willing to spend time making the video and over $1 million dollars of the band's money he should've made sure the songwriting credit situation was taken care of imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't have overlooked it.

Slash could easily have pursued other projects while maintaining a Gn'R link - that was his capital mistake.

After he split from Gn'R he might have thought that Gn'R (Axl) wouldn't dare to make another Gn'R album without him and other members on board. He never thought he'd witness a "New Gn'R"...

Now he seems to want back in for $'s sure but especially for media attention being the true media whore he is, but it's just too fucking late for that. Sorry Saul.

Slash could easily have pursued other projects while maintaining a Gn'R link - that was his capital mistake.

After he split from Gn'R he might have thought that Gn'R (Axl) wouldn't dare to make another Gn'R album without him and other members on board. He never thought he'd witness a "New Gn'R"...

Now he seems to want back in for $'s sure but especially for media attention being the true media whore he is, but it's just too fucking late for that. Sorry Saul.

$lash Rule$

Sorry Saul? Hahaha. No one feels bad for Slash. He's got it made with the shades, and his persona is golden. He's a character loved by the world like Burt Reynolds, Charlie Sheen, and Steven Tyler. He really doesn't get that much hate other than when people wish he would work with better people. He's loved like a god. Nothing can change that. Is Saul Hudson gonna have to choke a bitch?

"Vargas" and "De La Hoya" are heroes to millions but the "Don King" of rock n' roll is hated my many, and has as reputation beyond repair.

Lets see... you put the sweat equity into a band..become an equal partner...tour the world become internationally recognized as the guitarist for that band...come up with some of the most recognized music in the world ...then get demoted to hired hand with no say and have your career dictated to by outside forces because of personal issues...and you stick around enjoying the abuse?

though the grapevine your told Robin Finck is being pursued by your lead singer. Youve been thrown together with ZaK Wylde.. you show up to the studio to find out Axls drinking buddy from highschool is now your rythme guitarist and you just smile sweetly and say Oh... what ever Axl wants?