When did RIP Magazine become defunct?

Vincent Vega

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

One magazine would have been able to survive but I can see why the others went under. Now with the internet and everything people don't buy music magazines anyway.

I miss the pre-internet days.

It's taken a lot of the "personal" touch out of life.

For example, people have Kindles now and read books on them...But I'll always prefer having a book in my hand, the crisp smell of a newly printed book's pages, being able to look at it's cover, etc.

For example, people have Kindles now and read books on them...But I'll always prefer having a book in my hand, the crisp smell of a newly printed book's pages, being able to look at it's cover, etc.

Just like CD/records to digital copies. There's nothing like sitting on the bedroom floor listening to a new disc and flicking through the booklet, reading the thank you notes, finding lyrics you always thought were something else.

Yup. I had this conversation with a friend of mine a few months back. We were discussing how the internet age brought about an almost "synthetic" society. Everything now is digital. Books,movies,video games,music,telephones,mail,television,news,communication....it's all moving away from physical to digital. I suppose that's progress, but I prefer the way it was before.

God, I'm starting to sound like Abe Simpson lol.

Yup. I had this conversation with a friend of mine a few months back. We were discussing how the internet age brought about an almost "synthetic" society. Everything now is digital. Books,movies,video games,music,telephones,mail,television,news,communication....it's all moving away from physical to digital. I suppose that's progress, but I prefer the way it was before.

God, I'm starting to sound like Abe Simpson lol.

I feel you man.

The humanity is being sucked from human existence slow by cold, emotionless machines. Even now as we talk there's no human touch, just typed words written on a screen. Some people break up relationships this way. We become more and more detached from each other, and thus less in tune with one another and even with the Earth and nature around us; And thus begins the slow decline of empathy and humanity.

We're going to evolve into utterly cold and calculated beings, human computers, relying slowly on our machines, numbers and statistics; More and more superficial as we hunger like starving children for the newest shiny, metallic thing to show off. That will be one end of human evolution; the other end will devolve--See Jersey Shore and the like. Think of Orwell's The Time Machine and the future society. He was right. As was Huxley.

orwell-vs-huxley.jpg

Edited by Indigo Child

I remember seeing the ad for this magazine in another Flynt publication, Video Games & Computer Entertainment. Lonn Friend sitting in a bathtub while Alice Cooper dangles a hairdryer carelessly. The text read "TAKE IT FROM ALICE: DON'T BE STOOPID, GET RIP." So long ago...

Think about where people get their music info from.. it's a lot more direct. Magazines still sell, but the info is outdated by the time you read it, because you've already read most of it as it happened. Something like Time or Newsweek encapsulates it. If a band is working on a project, they still need to promote, but if it's an established band that already has people keeping tabs on them, we get the announcements immediately because the fanbase subscribed to the Email/Twitter/Facebook/MySpace accounts as well as forums like this one. Eventually older fans find out about it and bring something new to the table, and newbies come along because they just started getting into it.

Music journalists haven't stopped writing, and if anything, they prob. get more feedback because of the internet than they would have through a magazine. If you think what they wrote was off the wall bullshit, you can let them know that day, and get a reply back...maybe. People look to Amazon over the NY Times when they want to read a review.

I think people just need to remember technology is supposed to serve them, and should be able to not be completely dependent on it. If a gadget has some good uses for me, I'll buy it, but I'm not the type to want it as soon as it comes out. It's always buggy, and in 2 years time, I'll know if people have determined it to be useful or a paperweight.

The internet has its pros and cons to it.

A lot of things happened to music in the mid 90s, prior to Napster. I think one of the worst things was, without a doubt, Clear Channel, as well as the recording industry forcing people to buy full length albums when they wanted one or two songs. Once people started using Napster and file sharing, they were able to get those one or two songs in seconds. Once the recording industry was able to figure out a pricing strategy, people started buying music again, but in far lesser numbers. But as far as those huge numbers of sales go, a lot of that ties into back catalog sales, people going from vinyl and tape to CD. Once people figured out how to rip their CDs, there was no need to buy a replacement copy. And in the case of The Beatles, they had huge sales the first week Apple went online with their back catalog.

But people still buy books... esp. when they make them into a movie series that does well. Something like "Dexter" or "True Blood", people find out there was a book series and become fans of the books, make the comparisons, and without a doubt, has been a shot in the arm for publishing. "Harry Potter" and "Twilight" in particular.

I'm sure people said the same when record players were introduced. Some people probably thought it was nuts to listen to a recording of a song instead of the "real thing."

U guys are all correct. The new media has taken away a lot of the personal touch. I can remember being in high school and talking to girls for hours on the phone at night. Building up courage to make the call, the excitement of hearing her voice, then the interaction of talking. Now? Most 15-to-25 year olds would die without texting.

I hope all that are complaining don't steal, I mean download music for free.

Just like CD/records to digital copies. There's nothing like sitting on the bedroom floor listening to a new disc and flicking through the booklet, reading the thank you notes, finding lyrics you always thought were something else.

+1 on this.

I stopped by a garage sale the other day and the guy was selling his record albums so I bought a few..Judas Priest, Eagles, Pink Floyd even a Motley Crue leathur records of their first album..ect.. damn it was cool to look through them and note the artwork hadnt done that in YEARS. So I framed them and put them in my studio.

I used to faithfully buy Circus magazine and Hit Parader.. shit Hit Parader became so lame in the last days. Every issue was a 100 best of something. what news there was was a month old.