The Gear Thread

I have 1x12 , 2x12 and 4x12 cabs; I also have a full stack but I use it very rarely!

Most of the times I use a 2x12 cab which is portable enough but it doesn't sounds anything like a 4x12 half stack where the sound is much richier, full, it shakes the ground, there's nothing like it :wow:

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I use a Fulldrive 2 which is like a supped up TS9 with a boost pedal built in. I love it but need something heavier. The OCD gets really heavy, its basically a distortion.

What do you like with ODs and distortion pedals?

I like the Boss SD/OD series. I currently use an OD2, though I only use it with my MicroCube, as my main rig has enough gain/drive on tap that an OD becomes sort of pointless. I know there's about a million boutique OD's out there (a lot of which are either TS9 or 808 based), but I've never been too crazy into pedals.

Omar, I've been quite busy at work during week so no much time to play guitar and enjoy the VM.

On weekends I'm trying to start the writing/recording of a new song (I always do the writting while recording certain parts I already have in my head); I'm yet to check how the amp sounds recorded because I've got some amps that sound great live but record pretty bad with my setup (Shure SM57 only) and I've got other amps that record really easy.

Live in the room the VM is pretty much the best sounding amp I have, on pair with the Silver Jubilee 2555; actually they both sound a lot like each other with the VM having a fuller sound spectrum (more "meat") and the 2555 having a more distinct/recognizable voicing!

On my next hit ( :lol:) I'll sure use the VM as much as possible!

And you Omar, when will we enjoy your songs??

I don't really have the capability to do proper recordings with my set up, just have a Tascam DR-05 for recording stuff since the stack is at the rehearsal space; can't bring it in my apartment unfortunately. I actually flipped the 800 though.... got something else, with a bit more gain. :P

I could post a song or two from my band, but those recordings were all straight into the interface w/ guitar tone sorted in the DAW.

Let us hear your band!

You should invest in an usb audio interface where you can connect your guitar directly to use with software like Amplitube or a mic to do your real amp recordings - they're pretty cheap and you can get real good results!

To bad you let the 800 go; the JCM/JMP 2204/2204 and a Plexi 1987/1959 are such stapples in rock history and sound, one day I'll add them to my collection...

Let us hear your band!

You should invest in an usb audio interface where you can connect your guitar directly to use with software like Amplitube or a mic to do your real amp recordings - they're pretty cheap and you can get real good results!

To bad you let the 800 go; the JCM/JMP 2204/2204 and a Plexi 1987/1959 are such stapples in rock history and sound, one day I'll add them to my collection...

I actually did have a Peavey USB interface for a few weeks, it was terrible, pretty cheap so I didn't know what to expect. The Line 6 U (or X, or something) interface I've used was pretty good for ~$100, I did not like Amplitube all that much, though it may have been my crappy interface.

Eh if you know where to look, 800's (vertical inputs) can be picked up pretty easily for decent prices, what I have now is much rarer :ph34r:. I did own a vintage 1959, a few amps before the 800, I have to say I think I liked the 1959 better.

The 800 are very expensive new (reissue) here in Europe and old/original with vertical inputs are rare and expensive as well, you only find them at Ebay rsiking buying from other countries.

What amps do you own currently?

Amplitube is ok to record quickly some demos; sometimes I spend several weeks just trying to get a good recorded sound out of my amps, with Amplitube it's instant and the sound is ok (my demo Deception was all done with it) but it does lacks some frequencies.

The 800 are very expensive new (reissue) here in Europe and old/original with vertical inputs are rare and expensive as well, you only find them at Ebay rsiking buying from other countries.

What amps do you own currently?

Amplitube is ok to record quickly some demos; sometimes I spend several weeks just trying to get a good recorded sound out of my amps, with Amplitube it's instant and the sound is ok (my demo Deception was all done with it) but it does lacks some frequencies.

Interesting, if you know where to look here, you can find an '81-'83 800 in good condition for $1000 - $1200, I've even seen one go for $950! The reissues sell for $2100+ new... what a joke. Same with 1987/1959 reissues, they're about the same price as the 800RI. Don't know why anyone buys them when you can easily find good condition 70's Super Leads in the $1500 region.

I'm down to one amp now... well two if you count my MicroCube. Had my eye set on something rare for the past few months, one popped up on Rig-Talk that was sort of local(ish), so I basically flipped everything I had (the 800, SL5, a few speakers I had laying around, etc.) and nabbed a Cameron Old Bitch half stack. Long story short: Mark Cameron is an amp modder/builder who started his own line (like Friedman, Fortin, Egnater, etc.), but could never really get things together in terms of business management. Cameron Amplification was really only in business from 2007 until 2011, after many business partners tried to work it out with Mark. I don't know all of the exact details, but even the general gist is long, convoluted story that I won't bore you with. As far as the amp's go, there are ~50 CCV's, ~25 Old Bitch's, and ~25 Atomica's out there. They were never able to maintain long production runs. The reason I use the "~" is because there are a few pre-production models of each amp out there. Basically Mark fucked over a lot of people: never sent amps to those who had given deposits, never returned amps he was supposed to be modding, etc.. I've never dealt with him, got mine from the original buyer.

It's a shame, because he has real talent with amps, and he's a monster player, this is him playing a CCV:

The Old Bitch is basically the Aldrich/Norum Marshall mod's with Mark's tweaks. I have a few clips, but I have to go through them to see which came out best and edit them down, as they're mostly 20 minutes or longer.

• Like 1

Sounds great and very valuable/colectable!

I know about Cameron amps, Metro, Fortin, Friedman,... all these moders and builders (who base most of their models on plexi's and 800's anyway); I also check the amp fest videos regularly, it's nice to hear how all these amps sound compared!

I'm a Marshall guy, that classic Marshall tone is everything to me and I'm not very picky, any DSL/TSL/800/Plexi/VM will do it for me!

The dude plays Thin Lizzy's Cold Sweat on the video you posted, a great tune with a great solo by John Sykes!

Doug Aldrich loves the Vintage Modern too:

Doug could make even a toaster sound great.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Currently I'm doing sound recording tests, I'm unhappy with the results I achieved previously.

Today I was testing the Vintage Modern just fooling around (not a real song, I recorded the riffs and then added midi bass and drums) and it came like this, what you think of the tone?

Edited by Klay

Thanks Omar; indeed I cut lows in post recording eq and added highs in post recording eq.

I dunno but it seems like I tend to like thiner / high presence tones on a mix context.

My favourite tones are Peter Green , Brian May , George Lynch, Slash, Mick Mars and they all have thinner treble tones , I seem to like them but often people do tell me it lacks low end.