The Gear Thread

Ah, yes. The Kahler. Right now I can't afford one and I think I'll stick with the hard tail on this one, fir it demands less attention and it's also faster to tune.

I do have plans, however, to order a full custom Jackson someday, when I get a decent job, that is, and I intend to favor the Kahler, I'll just have to adjudt it to the high gauge strings. An over-sized-Scott-Ian-style 8 stringer would be awesome.

On the other hand, I'm thinking about doing some minor mods on my Dinky, but I wanted help on clarifying some stuff first:

1. This guitar is from a limited series, but I don't have any plans on selling it, so I don't think I would lose anything with it, right? Besides, I did already drill bigger holes on the bridge and the nut in order to make the lower strings fit.

2. Are there any side effects for putting push pull pots (same K) for coil splitting on the "humbucker mode" of my pups? Or they will still have their unchanged humbucker tone with an added singlecoil like tone?

• 3 months later...

I've been looking to trade/sell my Super Lead the last few months, and I've finally found something I really want.

I played an ENGL Blackmore the other week, and it was perfect - exactly what I was looking for. Found a guy looking to trade on Craigslist, went to his place, we tried out the amps..... he didn't like the Super Lead, crushed me.

Just found a guy looking to trade his ENGL Morse (similar to the Blackmore but more gain) for a Marshall....... he wouldn't do it because my Super Lead doesn't have a footswitch nor is it compatible with one.

This has made my desire for an ENGL Blackmore/Morse even more intense. Anyone here played one of these things? Or by chance want to trade it for a vintage 1959? :P

Unfortunately the demo's on YT don't do these amp's justice, but they are serious tone mongers. Great high gain (but not overkill) punchiness, cripsness, clarity.

Ugh I want the SL5 so bad.

Anyways, here are my babies.

10444558_10204120463872326_2344825126710

I just bought a Vintage Burst Paul, too!

What is the one on the left? A classic custom?

Looks like it, I remember when that run came out (07/08 I think), Slash had one, and I thought it was the coolest looking thing and a nice bridge between custom shop and the classic (which I had at the time). I think it was a pretty limited run though.

Looks like it, I remember when that run came out (07/08 I think), Slash had one, and I thought it was the coolest looking thing and a nice bridge between custom shop and the classic (which I had at the time). I think it was a pretty limited run though.

Actually it's a Japanese copy with a Gibson logo from what I can tell. Logo at wrong angle/wrong size, not enough fret markers, 3 screws in truss cover, looks to be bolt on. Univox?

Actually it's a Japanese copy with a Gibson logo from what I can tell. Logo at wrong angle/wrong size, not enough fret markers, 3 screws in truss cover, looks to be bolt on. Univox?

Not sure the company but it is one of those 70's LP copies. Damn nice guitar though. I got it off eBay for gigs out of town, so if something happened to it it wouldn't be as big of a deal as if I lost my real gibson.

Anyone here had any experience with the Epi Les Paul special II. I know the cosmetic stuff they have cut out to make it more affordable, and the wiring is simplified with the toggle moved and only two control knobs.

Not worried about all that, more interested in the sound.

I need to travel to try one out, and just wondering if it's worth it.

I'm wanting to move up from the el cheapo guitars I have, but can't afford to move up to the LP specials big brother (family, mortgage, etc). Epi's and Gibson's are ridiculously overpriced here in Australia. These seem like an ok compromise, only going by reviews.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Get an LTD EC-1000. The burst finishes have Duncans and most others EMG. I have the Floyd Rose version so I could only get EMG, but playability-wise I would take it OVER a Gibson. They're also ridiculously cheap on ebay because the market is flooded wih them.

Anyone here had any experience with the Epi Les Paul special II. I know the cosmetic stuff they have cut out to make it more affordable, and the wiring is simplified with the toggle moved and only two control knobs.

Not worried about all that, more interested in the sound.

I need to travel to try one out, and just wondering if it's worth it.

I'm wanting to move up from the el cheapo guitars I have, but can't afford to move up to the LP specials big brother (family, mortgage, etc). Epi's and Gibson's are ridiculously overpriced here in Australia. These seem like an ok compromise, only going by reviews.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

The Special II is pretty terrible, in my opinion. I'd save a bit and get an Epi Standard or Traditional

If those are too much check out Agile Les Pauls. They are Korean copies the internet seems to be obsessed with. I've never played one though

The Special II was my first guitar. I remember not liking it, I mean when you first start it's OK (though like AxlisOld says, you can get better for similarish money). I'm sure if someone handed me one now I'd smash it and light the remains on fire.

Edited by OmarBradley

I played one "for fun" at guitar center last year through a Blues Deluxe and a Bogner Ecstasy Blue OD. I got it to sound pretty good (how can you not with that rig?), but you could still tell something was off. They are designed for beginners and nothing else. If you had a rig like that to make it sound good, you could afford something better.

I would abandon ship on Epiphones in general. With the stuff coming out of Korea still at a decent price, there's no reason to pay what they're asking for Chinese. Or just get a Chibson "replica" from one of those sellers that will customize anything for you. You'd be surprised at the craftsmanship and woods youll get for 300 bucks from some of those guys.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have 3 imports already, of varying degrees of quality. (Plank with strings through outstanding). Think I'll keep saving for now.

I've got everything from American to Indonesian, quality does not come from one country. Keep a look out, but if you like Les Pauls, I'd definitely be lookjng into an EC-1000. Should be able to find one used pretty cheap.

I would abandon ship on Epiphones in general. With the stuff coming out of Korea still at a decent price, there's no reason to pay what they're asking for Chinese. Or just get a Chibson "replica" from one of those sellers that will customize anything for you. You'd be surprised at the craftsmanship and woods youll get for 300 bucks from some of those guys.

I actually disagree, I think the Chibson counterfits are horrible and don't support them. They look nice but play horribly. It would be much better to go with something like a Tokai, Fernandes, Ibanez, or one of those old lawsuit models.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have 3 imports already, of varying degrees of quality. (Plank with strings through outstanding). Think I'll keep saving for now.

Here is the Agile I was talking about, they are VERY highly regarded for their price. Not known to be cheap creap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agile-AL-2000-Free-shipping-with-BIN-/181530468115?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a440f1f13

I actually disagree, I think the Chibson counterfits are horrible and don't support them. They look nice but play horribly. It would be much better to go with something like a Tokai, Fernandes, Ibanez, or one of those old lawsuit models

It does depend on the seller/maker. I should have specified, they can be MADE INTO great guitars. A lot of the time the fretwork and wood are both excellent,and swapping pickups and hardware goes a long way for them.

The problem with the lawsuits is that they're too well known now. You will be hard pressed to get a Tokai for under 700, and at that point just buy a used Gibskn Standard.

I actually disagree, I think the Chibson counterfits are horrible and don't support them. They look nice but play horribly. It would be much better to go with something like a Tokai, Fernandes, Ibanez, or one of those old lawsuit models

It does depend on the seller/maker. I should have specified, they can be MADE INTO great guitars. A lot of the time the fretwork and wood are both excellent,and swapping pickups and hardware goes a long way for them.

The problem with the lawsuits is that they're too well known now. You will be hard pressed to get a Tokai for under 700, and at that point just buy a used Gibskn Standard.

That's true, the price of a lawsuit is now the price of a high end Epi/ low end Gibby/ or an Orville. I still don't like Chibson, they're just fakes made from the bottom of the barrel of materials and they have ripped many of people off.

For a "Les Paul" on the cheap I guess I would rather go with an Epi or Agile or another reputable import copy. Although honestly, I'd rather just save a bit more up and buy a Gibson Les Paul Special or Studio or something like that

That's true, the price of a lawsuit is now the price of a high end Epi/ low end Gibby/ or an Orville. I still don't like Chibson, they're just fakes made from the bottom of the barrel of materials and they have ripped many of people off.

For a "Les Paul" on the cheap I guess I would rather go with an Epi or Agile or another reputable import copy. Although honestly, I'd rather just save a bit more up and buy a Gibson Les Paul Special or Studio or something like that

Can get used Classics or sometimes Standards on Craigslist for $1400, or less, I've seen Classics go for $1200, albeit this wasn't recently as I haven't been checking. Bud I'd imagine they're in that region. Find one with a large blemish but still plays perfectly? Chances are it's going for $1100 or $1000, a steal for that guitar at that price.