The Gear Thread

I admit, a jam that totally clicks is a really cool occurrence.

Yeah man it was cool, Mike is a really good guitar player

Thanks man, you sounded awesome as well. I'm just to the point in the whole rock and roll experience that I really enjoy playing with the best players that I can find. But at the same time not make it a competition. When I was younger, I would get up on stage and play some local blues powerhouses (and I'm from Flint MI, so a lot of quality white and black players). Some of which were really cool, while others always had to SHOW you how much better than you they were. I always felt the latter approach was crap. Music isn't a competition, it's supposed to be about the music. So when I jam with other guitar players, I like to let them be the best they can be. Once you take the you vs me battle away, the music becomes a lot better imo.

On a side note,

I can tell Zoso's biggest influence is Slash. I felt like I was playing with Slash last night, it was fun. I've always had a EVH/Page/Hendrix influence, but really its all just my own style. I took things from them, but made them my own. But it made for awesome jam outs, it felt like (to me anyways, lol) like having Slash and EVH on the same jam. :P

Hey we could be making the best dual lead guitar combo since both Page and Beck were in the Yardbirds together, lol. Well maybe not, but it's fun to dream. :)

It was also really helpful that we had a good drummer and bassists. My little bro was kicking it on sax for a while, and I even brought out the harmonicas. You can't go wrong with harmonica solos, lol. Everybody loves those. Not bad for literaly the 3rd time I have ever played one.

Od pedal? Have you tried the Voodoo lab sparkle drive or nobels odr 1? Digitech's hardwire cm2 is also purdy damn good.

I've tried the Sparkle Drive, it is awesome! Haven't tried the others. It is just crazy how many different tones are out there!

Yeah man it was cool, Mike is a really good guitar player

Thanks man, you sounded awesome as well. I'm just to the point in the whole rock and roll experience that I really enjoy playing with the best players that I can find. But at the same time not make it a competition. When I was younger, I would get up on stage and play some local blues powerhouses (and I'm from Flint MI, so a lot of quality white and black players). Some of which were really cool, while others always had to SHOW you how much better than you they were. I always felt the latter approach was crap. Music isn't a competition, it's supposed to be about the music. So when I jam with other guitar players, I like to let them be the best they can be. Once you take the you vs me battle away, the music becomes a lot better imo.

On a side note,

I can tell Zoso's biggest influence is Slash. I felt like I was playing with Slash last night, it was fun. I've always had a EVH/Page/Hendrix influence, but really its all just my own style. I took things from them, but made them my own. But it made for awesome jam outs, it felt like (to me anyways, lol) like having Slash and EVH on the same jam. :P

Hey we could be making the best dual lead guitar combo since both Page and Beck were in the Yardbirds together, lol. Well maybe not, but it's fun to dream. :)

It was also really helpful that we had a good drummer and bassists. My little bro was kicking it on sax for a while, and I even brought out the harmonicas. You can't go wrong with harmonica solos, lol. Everybody loves those. Not bad for literaly the 3rd time I have ever played one.

Yeah! Its good to play with other good musicians and try and push each other to get the best shit out. Not compete in a "mine is bigger" contest. Guitarists end up sounding like shit when that happens, anyways.

We have a lot of good things going, great bassist and drummer and the harmonica and saxophone are awesome touches. I can't believe that was only the 3rd time you played one. And thanks for the Slash comment! I always considered Page and Slash to be my two biggest influences (and I guess Mick Taylor now), but I do love the deep tones and slower playing Slash does. I can tell you love EVH, the tapping was epic

Thank you :)

Yes, I still have it. It's pretty much the only guitar I haven't sold.

Sold my ES-335 to get this Les Paul. I'm a Les Paul player at heart I believe :)

Awesome, man! I got to say, its been about a month and a half from where I really switched to a Les Paul and its a dream come true. My playing has improved a ton just because I found the guitar that really fits.

Any drummers in this thread?

My son wants to sell his kit, any idea what ball park figure I should be looking at? It's a Pearl Forum series with a few extras (Stagg and Paishe ) Not in perfect condition, snare drum skin needs replacing underneath and all the skins show usage.

Thanks

o543t0.jpg

Depends on where you live. The cymbals will be the biggest thing. Off the top of my head, probably like 500 bucks.

I'm in the UK. Suppose I should just stick it on eBay and see what happens. I hate selling on eBay though, it does my head in!

Especially dealing with shipping a drum kit. Make a listing in the paper or craigslist or its UK equivilent.

I played the old Peavey that became the current 5150 combo a few years ago.

Holy fuck, that thing was a gain machine. I don't think I've played anything like it since

The 6505? I played one of those, didn't love it that much, it was all gain, but little character/roundness. The EVH has it all.

I got a bit carried away on eBay last night........ and won one. Should be arriving late this week; will certainly report back when I can give it a good hour or so of playing.

Holy fuck, that thing was a gain machine. I don't think I've played anything like it since

The 6505? I played one of those, didn't love it that much, it was all gain, but little character/roundness. The EVH has it all.

I got a bit carried away on eBay last night........ and won one. Should be arriving late this week; will certainly report back when I can give it a good hour or so of playing.

Lol those mornings when you wake up and remember the auction, or have an email saying that you won it. Fuuuuuuu....

Lol those mornings when you wake up and remember the auction, or have an email saying that you won it. Fuuuuuuu....

It was actually quite epic, and all happened the night the auction was ending.

There had been 1 bid on the head for about a week, and I figured they probably set their "Max Bid" higher, and I wasn't willing to go too far (like maybe $20) over the current bid, so I figured I had no chance. Then mysteriously, the guy cancelled his bid with 5 hours left in the auction yesterday. So I'm thinking, "I'm set." Then with 20 minutes left, another bid appears..... back to "fuck, I'll try, but I doubt I'll win."

With 30 seconds left I placed my bid. My bid was immediately beaten, I guess he was either watching live or had set a max bid. So with about 10 seconds left I placed one final bid. And to my amazement, as the timer counted down from 10 to 0, my bid was not beaten. I went about $20 over what I determined was my "limit," so not bad considering. :lol:

The adrenaline was real.

It was actually quite epic, and all happened the night the auction was ending.

There had been 1 bid on the head for about a week, and I figured they probably set their "Max Bid" higher, and I wasn't willing to go too far (like maybe $20) over the current bid, so I figured I had no chance. Then mysteriously, the guy cancelled his bid with 5 hours left in the auction yesterday. So I'm thinking, "I'm set." Then with 20 minutes left, another bid appears..... back to "fuck, I'll try, but I doubt I'll win."

With 30 seconds left I placed my bid. My bid was immediately beaten, I guess he was either watching live or had set a max bid. So with about 10 seconds left I placed one final bid. And to my amazement, as the timer counted down from 10 to 0, my bid was not beaten. I went about $20 over what I determined was my "limit," so not bad considering. :lol:

The adrenaline was real.

The short answer is: it sounds great.

Glad you like it!

Speaking of high gain. I decided "fuck my neighbors" and spent a good hour tweaking all my tone options. Mike420 and I are starting a band and when I've practiced with him I got to crank my rig, but didn't have time to really explore all my tones.

Holy shit, the fulldrive II through my Blues Deluxe actually gets really heavy! I got a tone that sounds a lot like Slash's on Too Far Gone's solo. It almost goes to EVH levels if I really push the pedal. So yeah, I think I have the whole classic rock/ hard rock sound I want down. I still wouldn't mind something a bit deeper though down the line to compliment the fulldrive, but so far everything is great!

• Like 1

I think we should have a MYGNR musician rig run down and tone competition event (obviously subjective, but would be fun), have judges and such.

Id be tptally down dir that!

Anyone else interested?

Mike, Axlisold, Drama, Chewy, TJ? Others?

I think I posted a family picture from my studio somewhere in this thread.