The Gear Thread

I think we should have a MYGNR musician rig run down and tone competition event (obviously subjective, but would be fun), have judges and such.

Id be tptally down dir that!

Anyone else interested?

Mike, Axlisold, Drama, Chewy, TJ? Others?

As soon as I get back home I will take photos from what I have and hopefully some soundbits as well. Just need to get a know-how for uploading stuff.

20141103_205202.jpg

You know you could sell a bunch of that stuff and get some real gear, like a Les Paul or a tube amp.

:awesomeface: just kidding

I'm working especially late today, and the day's already started, but I'll start a thread probably tomorrow night, or Thursday at the latest. I'll probably PM some of the musicians who don't check Nice Boys (those bastards).

20141103_205202.jpg

Holy fuck! That is one hell of a set up! Got enough super- strats? :lol:

I see at least two Les Pauls so its all good!

I'm down to try this out, but I warn you all now, my tone is pretty bad ass. ;)

@Axlisold,

Is that an authentic Frankenstein hanging on the wall? Do you play it often?

Mike's tone is pretty badass :headbang:

Edited by ZoSoRose

I actually have a Fender Blues DeVille not pictured, and an Epiphone Les Paul and a couple other beater guitars.

I really don't dig Les Pauls. Gibson lost me a while back when they started valuing pretty over playable and overcharging for everything. That may have changed now, but I didnt leave Gibson, they left me. The black LTD plays better than both the Gibsons. I play the everloving fuck out of the white Jackson.

And one can never have too many superstrats.

Edited by AxlisOld

I'm a sucker for the super strats as well. I actually built one this year. My wiring ended up a little off, so it has a hum to it, making it a little unplayable. One of these days I'll take it to a pro and have it wired properly, but honestly I'd like to build another one. Really get some bad ass pickups in it, I pinched pennies on my first go around because I was on a limited budget. But their is something about building your own guitar that really appeals to me.

I hear ya, I have a Wolfgang and I've played the living fuck out of it. I actually had replace all the saddles this year because they were all rusted out from years of playing. I lost a little bit of playability with the new saddles, and its also no longer stock. But oh well. I would take another Wolfgang in heartbeat. But honestly if someone was to give me $2,500 to spend on guitar (roughly the cost of a good LP) I'd spend around a grand and build my own superstrat and pocket the other $1,500 lol. But I do love Les Paul's don't get me wrong, great guitars. Give me a stock LP over a stock Strat any day of the week.

Edited by Mike420

I actually have a Fender Blues DeVille not pictured, and an Epiphone Les Paul and a couple other beater guitars.

I really don't dig Les Pauls. Gibson lost me a while back when they started valuing pretty over playable and overcharging for everything. That may have changed now, but I didnt leave Gibson, they left me. The black LTD plays better than both the Gibsons. I play the everloving fuck out of the white Jackson.

Thought I responded to this days ago, guess not.

Anyway, I 100% agree. I find it very difficult to find new Les Pauls that I like. I used to be able to walk into a shop, and 8/10 LP's I'd play would have been great or better, now it's more like 2/10. I went into GC the other day just to play some guitars, played 4 LP's:

A 2014 58RI, definitely the best of bunch, nothing amazing, but pretty good.

A 2014 Traditional, felt OK, pick up configuration was all wrong IMO.

A 2012 Standard, felt OK, sounded meh.

A 2015 Standard, felt terrible, neck was the size of a flagpole (bigger than the 58RI's), tuning system didn't work (which I wouldn't want anyway), just overall a really really bad guitar; especially considering the price.

It's a shame, I was talking with a few of the employees, and they basically said that Gibson knows they suck now, but the senior leadership makes such poor choices that not much can be done.

I will stand by this statement though: I'll take a pre-2008ish Les Paul over almost any guitar.

Also for you amp enthusiasts, I played an ENGL Powerball, two Diezel's, and two Diamond's. None of them "wow'ed" me, the Diamond Spitfire II was pretty good, as was the Powerball; none of them were bad, but for their reputation and prices.... I expected better. To be fair, I probably only put each of them around 1/4th master volume, could substantially affect tone with some amps.

Anyway, I 100% agree. I find it very difficult to find new Les Pauls that I like. I used to be able to walk into a shop, and 8/10 LP's I'd play would have been great or better, now it's more like 2/10. I went into GC the other day just to play some guitars, played 4 LP's:

A 2015 Standard, felt terrible, neck was the size of a flagpole (bigger than the 58RI's), tuning system didn't work (which I wouldn't want anyway), just overall a really really bad guitar; especially considering the price.

It's a shame, I was talking with a few of the employees, and they basically said that Gibson knows they suck now, but the senior leadership makes such poor choices that not much can be done.

I will stand by this statement though: I'll take a pre-2008ish Les Paul over almost any guitar.

Also for you amp enthusiasts, I played an ENGL Powerball, two Diezel's, and two Diamond's. None of them "wow'ed" me, the Diamond Spitfire II was pretty good, as was the Powerball; none of them were bad, but for their reputation and prices.... I expected better. To be fair, I probably only put each of them around 1/4th master volume, could substantially affect tone with some amps.

I love Gibson but their business practices are fucked. First thing is first- the 2015 lineup is FUCKED. The neck, forced tuner, cosmetics, and price hikes are absurd. Henry, the ceo, has made some bone- headed decisions.

But when they get it right, they get it right. I still think the Custom Shops are phenominal. I'd take any R9 or R8 no matter what year. I also have my 2013 Signature T and love it.

I love Gibson but their business practices are fucked. First thing is first- the 2015 lineup is FUCKED. The neck, forced tuner, cosmetics, and price hikes are absurd. Henry, the ceo, has made some bone- headed decisions.

But when they get it right, they get it right. I still think the Custom Shops are phenominal. I'd take any R9 or R8 no matter what year. I also have my 2013 Signature T and love it.

I played a 2013 Trad Pro II, and thought it was great; albeit I picked up 2 of the same model/year guitar and they weren't as good, so it's luck of the draw. I saw some 2015 Standards hanging on the wall for................$3750!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF, why would anyone pay that when you can get an early 90's (best Gibson QC) Standard for ~$1500 used. Even the R8 I played was OK, it was a 2014.

Yeah, Gibson has lost their minds. Very glad I got a 2013 at a great price when I did because the 2015 line is fucked for the money.

Anyways, its my birthday today so I am going to pick up a delay. Any suggestions?

I'll have a wah pedal, overdrive, the delay... what else should I get you think?

Or Mike, what else do we need? Should I pick up a mic and stand?

Edited by ZoSoRose

Yeah, Gibson has lost their minds. Very glad I got a 2013 at a great price when I did because the 2015 line is fucked for the money.

Anyways, its my birthday today so I am going to pick up a delay. Any suggestions?

I'll have a wah pedal, overdrive, the delay... what else should I get you think?

Or Mike, what else do we need? Should I pick up a mic and stand?

DD3 or DD6 if you want the Slash delay, Carbon Copy for most else. There are other choices, but someone more educated on pedals can chime in.

I thought of the Carbon Copy! I am going to go try one today. Idk if I am looking for Slash's delay sound really, just something to add texture to my tone.

I think I will pick up a delay and volume pedal, and then I'll pick up a midi controller and better recording software next.

I went with an unconventional choice! A Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail. Hell, I didn't even know Duncan made pedals. I was in a music shop in Lansing yesterday and I really like one of the dudes that works there. We always talk a lot so I trust his opinion. I told him I was hoping to get a delay soon and everyone just lit up and mentioned the Vapor Trail. Well, I tried it and it sounded pretty darn good. Its built in the USA, has solid construction, and I can't wait to try it with my full setup.

Listen to that tone!

Im starting to go crazy. I think I am going to get a volume pedal today and I want to start looking at chorus pedals. Then maybe down the line a distortion and I am done!

Pedal addiction is scary... lol

Not having a gf really has opened my Gear Acquisition Syndrome up on a whole new level :lol: I thought getting a Les Paul would quell my GAS, but now I just look at effects instead of guitars!

Here's a quick Marshall Jackhammer pedal recording I've done, just to test it's direct recording tone (connected directly to computer soundcard). With time I'll record more stuff with this pedal, I like it a lot.

Thin Lizzy - Black Rose